First time cruise out of Galveston questions

PictureMom

This will be my fourth cruise, but my first time going out of Galveston. I'm finding transportation confusing. We are flying into IAH the day before our cruise. I'm not sure if it is better to stay in Houston or stay closer to the port in Galveston. My flight comes into IAH at 3:00 p.m. Seems like the Galveston area is more expensive, but most hotels are on the beach. The beach sounds better than staying near the the airport in Houston! The question is, if we stay in Galveston then how do we get there? And then once we get to the hotel, how do we get to the port the next morning? My first plan was to stay in Houston near the airport and use the hotel shuttle. Then shuttle back to the airport the next morning and take a RCI shuttle to the port. Can anyone help? Is one way easier than another? Can anyone help?

When is your cruise, I ask because this time of year the sun sets around 5 pm in Houston, so chances are you could not make it to the beach at Galveston before it gets dark with a 3 pm flight arrival, assuming 30 min to get luggage, 15 minutes to meet the shuttle / limo, etc. and 1.5 hours, maybe maybe more in afternoon rush hour to make it to Galveston. You can expect delays at rush hour on week days, particularly bad on Friday's going to Galveston, less so on Saturday, and usually not bad at all on Sundays.

Our cruise is in mid February. Arriving on Saturday. So do you think I might as well just stay in Houston for the night? It's certainly the cheaper way to go. Sure didn't realize when we picked this cruise that getting to the port would be such a hassle. Just stressing about the details. Once I have a plan then I'll be fine!!

How many in your party? If one or two of you, a shuttle service may be most affordable option. We recently used Galveston Express for ground transit. Their prices are better than other options. It is a fairly new company, and they seem to have had some growing pains. Also, they have only a limited number of slots, so book early for your best Gloucester. Our shuttle from port to airport ran a bit late, but we had a time cushion...the driver and van and driving were all fine...so we would use them again. If you use them, do allow some extra time and plan to be patient if your shuttle is delayed a bit.

You might also consider a rental car. Some people (especially larger families) rent a car at IAH for eight days, drive it to Galveston, stay in a hotel with parking package, then return the car to airport after the cruise. Or you could stay elsewhere (Houston or NASA area or Texas City or wherever), drive to port, then park in a lot near port, then return car to airport after cruise. Though it might sound odd, but really some people find it cost competitive. You can check for one way rental cars, but your options may be limited.

We have 5 people in our party. Two groups meeting up in Houston. My son and I coming in from Massachusetts and my parents and brother coming in from Michigan. That's the other challenge. We won't be arriving at the airport at the same time. :confused: I looked into renting a car, but seems like we would need a van in order to accommodate our group and luggage. That's an expensive vehicle to rent and have sit for the week. So I don't think that works for us. I checked Galveston Express's website and they are definitely an option.

We have 5 people in our party. Two groups meeting up in Houston. My son and I coming in from Massachusetts and my parents and brother coming in from Michigan. That's the other challenge. We won't be arriving at the airport at the same time. :confused: I looked into renting a car, but seems like we would need a van in order to accommodate our group and luggage. That's an expensive vehicle to rent and have sit for the week. So I don't think that works for us. I checked Galveston Express's website and they are definitely an option.

I am glad to hear that Galveston Express might work for you. If you decide it is the right choice, I'd suggest (after verifing their cancellation policy) you book your seats sooner rather than later,as the best timed options for cruisers do sell out....waiting would risky with a party of five.

Totally your call whether to stay near airport or near port pre-cruise. Either way can work fine. With people flying in at different times, I might tend to stay near airport then share the morning shuttle to port.

I would suggest shuttling into Galveston Saturday after all in party arrive.. several of the hotels on the island provide free shuttles to the port. the last thing you want is to start a cruise Stressed from dealing with Houston traffic to get to the island on a sunday morning. We love our sunday mornings on the island before boarding.. a nice leisurely breakfast and a walk on the beach before heading to the port.

I mentioned it on our 2/14 cruise thread, but will mention here in case it helps others. It was pretty pricey to rent a vehicle for 6 of us. Hiring a private limo service actually worked out best for us - and an extra $25 got us the upgrade to a stretch round trip!

IAH is on the North side of the city, the drive is ok into the city, but from there to the port is often packed. Then locating "your" motel another problem. Often best for a local to do the driving. Super Shuttle is $35.00 per person if going to Seabrook for the Houston ship terminal area for more motels. Then they will shuttle y:all to the port. Bunch of research to do. But once on board, you can relax and enjoy the cruise. Tip, on when gittin off, and enter to claim luggage, find a porter, stay in the right side lane, next to the wall, to use his cart, will speed up to customs.