Hotels in Singapore

Just Alice

We are sailing on the Diamond Princess in March and end in Singapore. We plan to spend about 2 or 3 days there before flying back to Edmonton. We want to pay about $100. for a hotel. I can find some on Internet, but we would like to be in a good area for sight seeing-and Metro. Can anyone help ??

Just Alice

You might look on the Ports of Call board for Asia, plus Trip Advisor. And, you might post of the Australia- NZ forum further down the main page. Those folks may have more experience in that part of the world...

Visit a bookstore and get a guidebook on Singapore. You probably will want one, anyway. they will have maps and point out hotel locations. Public transport is pretty good in Singapore, so if you can't afford one in the most desirable area, you can at least get there easily. EM

$100 is VERY optimistic, especially with taxes. Realistically for a nice hotel you are looking in the $200 range depending on the season maybe a bit more. You may get lucky on a bidding site and depending on your needs, there are some very reasonable hostels.

There are some decent options in the $150 range as well.

If you have an early flight out, I'll recommend the Crowne Plaza Changi Airport for your last night. It's certainly not $100, but is directly connected to terminal 3 (which also has a shopping mall). Stayed there in 2008 and loved it.

Also, when you are there, the Night Safari is a must see (Bird Park is second on my list, but then again I love zoos, etc)

That said,

We are sailing on the Diamond Princess in March and end in Singapore. We plan to spend about 2 or 3 days there before flying back to Edmonton. We want to pay about $100. for a hotel. I can find some on Internet, but we would like to be in a good area for sight seeing-and Metro. Can anyone help ??

Just Alice

We have been to Singapore so many times since the 70's but I cannot recommend a hotel for $100 a night. Singapore is not a cheap city, in fact they have a very high standard of living. Here is a website which may be able to help you.

http://www.booking.com/city/sg/singapore.en.html?aid=342443;label=city-singapore-Tp5BkIuz0lNaObfwtR_TnwS18904500110;ws=

The hotels we have stayed at in Singapore over the years are the Ritz Carlton, the Intercontinental, Marina Mandarin, the Regent, the Sheraton and Le Meridien. I can recommend all of those. Also friends have stayed at the Pan Pacific and the Swiss Hotel Stamford and I know they are also very comfortable.

Jennie

If you want to spend a lot of time and money shopping then you are probably best to stay somewhere along Orchard Road, although the hotels aren't inexpensive. If you're interested in the food and nightlife then consider staying down by the river where the hotels are generally less expensive.

If we're staying somewhere for an extended period of time then we generally book a 5 star, but if it's only for 2 or 3 nights then we normally go for something less expensive as we won't be spending much time in the room. Last spring we booked thru Priceline for Singapore and got a room in the Holiday Atrium for $100/nite. Good location, nice big room, very clean, staff couldn't have been more helpful. Hope this helps a bit.

As others have pointed out, hotels are typically not cheap in Singapore.

However, there are at least 2 well known chains of budget hotels.

First is the Fragrane Hotel chain.

Second is the Hotel 81 chain.

You can google them up for their prices and locations.

Obviously you cannot expect anything fanciful but they should be clean.

There are also trip advisor reviews so you may care to check them out.

Thanks for all the replies. I found lots of hotels around $100. Can. but I don't know where they are. The most important thing is it must be close to the Metro so we can get around easily. We won't be shopping much-just sight seeing.

Just Alice

Edmonton, Alberta

Thanks for all the replies. I found lots of hotels around $100. Can. but I don't know where they are. The most important thing is it must be close to the Metro so we can get around easily. We won't be shopping much-just sight seeing.

Just Alice

Edmonton, Alberta

If you let me know the name and address of the hotels you are considering, I can help you out with the distance to the MRT. The metro or underground is called the MRT here. If you use the term metro, locals may not know what you are referring to. In fact there is a famous departmental store called Metro, not to be confused with the MRT.

hi just alice,

i agree with most of the other replies,singapore is now not cheap for hotels,but there is a good side,no matter where you stay in singa's your not far from anything. if you find a cheap / clean hotel, taxi's are plentiful and cheap.if your close to the mrt, (great rail system) even cheaper.

been to singa's plenty of times with my wife,shopping is good, but if you want to double your money,get a yellow bus from near bugis junction and to to johor bahru (just over the causeway in malaysia.) where your singapore dollar is worth twice as much for shopping.

bus about 6 dollar sing.

go from central singapore train station to kl in malaya for around $40.00 one way,and return from k.l to singapore for $20.00. trick is only book one way,then book return in k.l.

when in singapore, if you like indian food go to little india,the food is great.

good cheap shopping at mustafa centre in little india as well.

singapore is great,not cheap,but clean,nice people,and probably the safest place on the planet.

happy trip

nodandade

Lets try for hotels under $150. I found Hotel 81 Dickson, Ibis Singapore Novena, Perak Hotel, Moon Hotel, Marrison Hotel. The Marrison sounded good. Can anyone comment on these hotels?

Thanks

Ibis Singapore Novena's location is decent.

The walk to the nearest MRT station (Novena) is about 600m via Irrawaddy Road.

The Novena area is quite lively. There are several shopping centers (Novena Square, Square 2, Velocity), built on the MRT station. http://www.novenasquare.com/

Lets try for hotels under $150. I found Hotel 81 Dickson, Ibis Singapore Novena, Perak Hotel, Moon Hotel, Marrison Hotel. The Marrison sounded good. Can anyone comment on these hotels?

Thanks

The location of the Marrison Hotel is good. Near Bugis MRT station (about 400m). Bugis is very lively area, with shopping and stuff.

http://www.bugisjunction-mall.com.sg/

You should be able to walk over to the Suntec City area - lots and lots of stuff there as well.

http://www.sunteccitymall.com/

The Esplanade, Raffles City area are all not too far off.

So, yes, the location of Marrison hotel is not bad.

I've never used that hotel so I can't comment on its facilities and service.

Thanks

Hotel 81 Dickson - I don't like that area. I wouldn't recommend this hotel.

Perak Hotel Singapore - I don't like this area. I wouldn't recommend this hotel.

Moon Hotel - Same as above.

We are on the Diamond Princess and I would like some advice on what to do in Saigon. The Princess tours we would be interested in are the Mekong Delta

or maybe just into Saigon. What would you suggest ? I understand it's a 2 hour bus ride to anywhere. I would appreciate any comments.

Just Alice

We booked the Ibis Singapore on Bencoolen. I hope it was a good move. The price was good, it seemed to be close in, and the comments were good. Does anyone have comments on this ??

Just Alice,

Edmonton, Alberta

For the price, location is good. Bugis MRT and the shopping center is nearby.

We are on the Diamond Princess and I would like some advice on what to do in Saigon. The Princess tours we would be interested in are the Mekong Delta

or maybe just into Saigon. What would you suggest ? I understand it's a 2 hour bus ride to anywhere. I would appreciate any comments.

Just Alice

Find 2-4-6 others and book a tour with Zoom. He's terrific. Lots of posts about him on CC

Hello Iluvcruising2

Thanks for all your previous recommendations. They have been recorded for trip January 2013.

We have only been to Singapore once and stayed at a nice hotel, but don't remember the name but the MRT was just about under it. The Christmas decorations in the malls were fantastic.

We visited Sentosa Island for a day. The Gondola ride was nice. Is it still there? We went to a temple also near some market.

What are some of the other things that would be nice to visit while in Singapore.

It is always nice to have someone from the area to give recommendations.

Thanks in advance.

Just returned from Singapore. We stayed at the Bestwestern Jayleen on Carpenter St., between Clarke's Quay and Chinatown. The Hotel is nothing fancy, small but clean rooms, continental breakfast included as well as free Wi-fi. The location puts you in walking distance of everything.

Cost was ~ 500 Singapore Dollars for 3 nights, total including taxes and service charges.

My wife and I are doing a round trip out of Singapore cruise on Voyager of the Seas in June. we get in early morning on the last day but our flight home leaves in the evening, does anyone know of any hotels in Singapore that offer day rooms? We are looking around 9am to 4pm.

Also, I found a good way to find hotels is to use Google earth. You can zoom in to a location, use street view to look around, see what's nearby and clicking on icons will bring up options. You can even get directions. There's also a lot of traveller photos you can look at.

Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone stayed/know Robertson Quay Hotel? Extremely cheap at the moment - S$130 including continental buffet breakfast. Online bookings only until end December 2012.

We are on Voyager Singapore to Perth in October and plan to be in Singapore for 3 or 4 days beforehand so looking for something a bit cheaper.

My wife and I are doing a round trip out of Singapore cruise on Voyager of the Seas in June. we get in early morning on the last day but our flight home leaves in the evening, does anyone know of any hotels in Singapore that offer day rooms? We are looking around 9am to 4pm.

Also, I found a good way to find hotels is to use Google earth. You can zoom in to a location, use street view to look around, see what's nearby and clicking on icons will bring up options. You can even get directions. There's also a lot of traveller photos you can look at.

Hope this helps.

Good idea

Archived