Early saver and military rate

SailingGrace

When I booked a few months ago the military rate was no better than Early Saver. So I booked Early Saver- - on the chance the rates may go down.

Today the rates went down. But due to Carnival not disclosing categories online anymore, I called. Was told it was 'my' category. So after I hung up...I called again- just to be sure. Was told it was 'my' category.

After I gave him all my booking info so he could pull me up, he saw the price difference and said I could submit a claim form....but wait! The advertised military rate is 40 dollars less per person. So I sent my DD214 via email.

Point is, using the Early Saver allowed me to get some On Board Credit...where if I had used the military rate in my original booking- I wouldn't have been able to get it.

• 3 months later...

We are going on the Carnival Victory at the beginning of March, and had that very dilemma when booking.

We took the Early Saver, and have been able to drop the price for OBC twice using the current Military rate (hubby Keith was Navy).

Have a great trip!

Wendy

• 1 month later...
We are going on the Carnival Victory at the beginning of March, and had that very dilemma when booking.

We took the Early Saver, and have been able to drop the price for OBC twice using the current Military rate (hubby Keith was Navy).

Have a great trip!

Wendy

I would always suggest the early saver rate on Carnival sailings for sure.

• 1 year later...

We have chosen the Early Saver as well. I qualify for the "interline" rate, my husband is active duty. At the time of booking the Interline rate was actually less than the early Saver, but I had good luck with OBC after rate dropps in the past so, hope this is indeed the best choice.

• 1 month later...

We are looking at booking in Feb we were going to use the early saver it is like 10.00 cheaper a person but it is a nonrefundable deposit right. So we were thinking of using the military rate cause if for any reason we have to cancle we can get the money back. Now I am confused after reading this which one I really want to use. I guess I need to go do some more homework

• 4 weeks later...

So you can book Early Saver and get price drop credit for military or Early Saver rates that are lower?

If you get the credit for military rate - does your booking stay Early Saver?(so you can get another credit if opportunity arises?)

• 5 months later...
So you can book Early Saver and get price drop credit for military or Early Saver rates that are lower?

If you get the credit for military rate - does your booking stay Early Saver?(so you can get another credit if opportunity arises?)

If you book Early Saver and see that the military rate is cheaper and you are eligible for military rate then YES you can price match to the military rate.

Once Early Saver always Early Saver. Therefore if you see another credit opportunity you are eligible for then you can apply for that also.

If you book Early Saver and see that the military rate is cheaper and you are eligible for military rate then YES you can price match to the military rate.

Once Early Saver always Early Saver. Therefore if you see another credit opportunity you are eligible for then you can apply for that also.

UBM

And we are talking some very serious money here.....

For those of you who do your own booking and may not be checking prices on a daily basis, you may want to consider a Google search for "Cruise Fish" and signing up so you automatically receive an alert when the price drops (to include the introduction of a military rate).

HAPPY CRUISING!!

• 1 year later...

I booked Early Saver for a cruise in October since it was cheaper than military at the time. Now the military price is the same AND they are offering a $50 OBC. Can I change to get the OBC credit or NO?

• 1 month later...

I am not familiar with Carnival or the early saver. The cruise I booked thru an online TA and used the interline rate, I was not eligible for the 123 Go Special that Celebrity had. They also said I wouldn't get the special either if we used the military rate. Navy Captain and American Airlines pilot so we can use either one. This February while we were on a cruise we booked a cruise for next year also on Celebrity. We were able to take advantage of the 123 Go Special and it is about the same price that I paid using the interline/military rate.

• 1 month later...

My .02

I booked a back 2 back cruise this last Jan/Feb on the Carnival Freedom. My original booking was at the Early Saver rate as I book a year out. Around Oct/Nov the Military rate was substantially lower so I filed a rate change form and received the difference in OB credit (since my early saver was paid in full).

The one thing you want to watch is that once you switch from early saver to military or any other fare, is that you are now part of that fare and the restrictions under that fare apply.

Example: Early saver guarantees that if the fare drops you can get the lower rate, where as if you switched to Military rate, you're locked in to that rate even if another rate goes cheaper. So, read the rules for each rate and choose wisely.