Acadia National Park

Afloat

Will be in Bar Harbor early September. Princess offers shore excursions of Acadia National Park by bus tour and limousine. Do these allow for stops for photography and is the extra cost of the limousine ( about 30 dollars )with fewer people worth it?

I live in Maine, about 45 minutes from Acadia, its so nice there. Im not really answering your questions but i just wanted to tell you that is beautiful. Usually windy at that the top of Cadillac mountain to. I personally would rather go in a limo, i would think they could stop at more places, there are lots of turnouts to take pictures that i dont think a bus would be able to fit into.

Theres a nice beach there, (for Maine standards) Sand Beach. Its not very big.

Water is ALWAYS cold here, i dont know how tourists can go swimming!! My ankles freeze if i stand in it for about 5 seconds. It hurts.

I think i need to take another trip to Acadia soon!

Also interested in Puffins -- we are taking a whale watching trip in the afternoon, so hope to spot them from the boat, but don't know if they make a specific effort to locate them.

Is it easy to arrange private tours of Acadia NP at the dock, or should we make arrangements in advance for our morning?

We haven't been in Bar Harbor yet (Radisson Navigator in September), but we've been getting a lot of information from the Bar Harbor C of C web site, http://www.barharbormaine.com/ . Under activities there are quite a few boat tours, some of which include puffins. (Probably not our first priority, since we saw puffins in Iceland and see them at the Bronx and Central Park zoos.) You can contact the companies and get the info (and reservations) you need.

We haven't been in Bar Harbor yet (Radisson Navigator in September), but we've been getting a lot of information from the Bar Harbor C of C web site, http://www.barharbormaine.com/ . Under activities there are quite a few boat tours, some of which include puffins. (Probably not our first priority, since we saw puffins in Iceland and see them at the Bronx and Central Park zoos.) You can contact the companies and get the info (and reservations) you need.
Thanks for the link -- very helpful!

To answer a few questions - in my 52 years I have never seen a Puffin (maybe one of these days) - I spend a lot of time on Mt Desert (Bar Harbor, etc.) and to the best of my knowledge there aren't any there, so would have to go on a boat tour to see them.

The link that is shown above is great for all sorts of ideas for lunch .... everyone by now probably knows that I prefer "Gettys", but I can't think of a resturant in town that wouldn't be enjoyable .... some depends on $ want to spend and type of food desired.

As Aunu says - the water is very cold .... everyone needs to dip their toes in our part of the Atlantic ... The toes will turn blue and ache within minutes ... very exhilarating!

I truly hope that all enjoy the beautiful scenery that is a part of Maine - the rugged clifts, rocky ledges, the white pine trees and the crashing waves. To all enjoy! Jan

To answer a few questions - in my 52 years I have never seen a Puffin (maybe one of these days) - I spend a lot of time on Mt Desert (Bar Harbor, etc.) and to the best of my knowledge there aren't any there, so would have to go on a boat tour to see them.

I truly hope that all enjoy the beautiful scenery that is a part of Maine - the rugged clifts, rocky ledges, the white pine trees and the crashing waves. To all enjoy! Jan

Thanks, Jan. After doing a bit more reading I realized that the only way we might see Puffins while in Bar Harbor area, is if we took a whale watching tour. We plan to spend most of the day in Acadia National Park, so we will just enjoy all the things you mentioned above. I am really looking forward to seeing Acadia!

I dont think you will find a bad place for lunch. I'm sure youre going to be looking for lobster, shouldnt have a problem finding that. They are expensive right now, our local lobster pound is selling them for $7.45 a pound, gonna pay alot more than that in a restaurant.

Its funny, i complain about the price of lobster at $7.45 a pound but i will pay 9.99 a pound for a great looking steak at the grocery store!! I guess its all relative, i know the price will go down in a few weeks, ( i hope) it always does. We payed $4.95 at one point last year. Under $5.50 and im happy.

Oh, and i like soft shelled lobster better. sweeter meat, easier to get to. They dont fill up the shell like hard shell lobster so people think there isnt as much meat...but i look at it that its still gonna weight the same, a 1 1/4 pound lobster is a 1 1/4 pound lobster.... hard to explain i guess.

AFLOAT~ if youre going to end up taking a limo and can go where you want, i would go to the trenton bridge lobster pound for lunch. Its about 5 miles past the entrance to the park.

Annu-Thanks for the input. We will be in port from 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Can you recommend a place for lunch?:)

Jordon Pond House is great for popovers and lobster stew with a bottle of wine --- can get busy though and it is in the park.

In town...

West St cafe is good, simple food --- lobster, chowder, blueberry pie.

Rosalies is very good pizza. (I know it's Maine, but I never leave Bar Harbor without having that pizza!)

I have eaten at all of the recommended places; they are all good. Although it was a few years ago one of the prettiest spots was at Able's Lobster Pound on Somes Sound. And our favorite early bird Lobster dinner, at a sit down restaurant is the outdoor patio at the Chart Room in the town of Hull's Cove.

While shopping in town be sure to try (a sample at least) of the lobster ice cream...unique to Bar Harbor.

I have never seen a puffin out of Bar Harbor.

We will be spending a week at the College of the Atlantic beginning July 31st; so I will give updates after that week.

We are returning to Bar Harbor after a 6 year absence.

In the past, I have eaten at all those named restaurants and they are good. Some others are: Teska's, the patio at the Chart Room in Hull's Cove for early bird lobster, and a lovely spot on Somes Sound called Able's Lobster Pound.

Do try at least a sample of the Lobster Ice Cream at the candy/ice cream store in downtown Bar Harbor...unique.

We will return to the College of the Atlantic for a week July 31st. So, I will give updates then.

Its funny, i complain about the price of lobster at $7.45 a pound but i will pay 9.99 a pound for a great looking steak at the grocery store!! I guess its all relative, i know the price will go down in a few weeks, ( i hope) it always does. We payed $4.95 at one point last year. Under $5.50 and im happy.

Of course we complain...if we could eat the shell it would not be so bad!

The Chart Room is great but may not be readily accessible unless you have your own car to drive outside of Bar Harbor. The absolute best IMHO is the Reading Room at the Bar Harbor Inn on the waterfront. VERY PRICEY! (we had a free meal once!!)However, try their lobster bake (a tad bit easier on the pocketbook) on the Terrace overlooking the harbor for the full pleasure of chowder to dessert. No reservations required and extremely good!

If you are looking to book something a little different the Margaret Todd is a four masted schooner that does two hour tours around the harbor and nearby islands with a park ranger on board for info and questions. They have a web site and sail three times a day.

Touring Acadia is a beautiful experience and if possible rent a car! Some places you really want to linger and a bus has its own schedule to stay on. There are so many neat places a short drive away, such as the above mentioned Chart Room, that it can well justify the expense. Price the excursions and price a car. You make the call. I am nearby if you need more info.

Ok, Maine people, I'm taking you all up on Bookbug's offer. :)

Renting a car in Bar Harbor: is it practical to drive through Acadia National Park ourselves? Will we get as much out of it without a guide? Is it narrow/curvy/scary driving? Will I miss a lot as the driver? I assume that there's an admission charge - is it by the body or by the vehicle/carload? Do you know pricing? If I decide to rent a car, what is your official list of things we must see & do while in Bar Harbor? Our times are (these are official ship times, and don't take into account docking and tendering times) 7 a.m. to 5 p.m., and we should be back on the ship by 4:30 at the absolute latest.

I know that I couldn't answer all of these things about MY home, but I am hoping that you will know some answers.

Do local guides just hang around the docks waiting for the cruise ship tenders to land, offering their services? There are only three of us, so we could easily jump into someone's car and go.

Many thanks in advance for your help and advice.

Carol

Carol -- please let us know how it goes if you rent a car in Bar Harbor. There was a previous thread discouraging this, but we are also interested in this option for our family of 5 when we stop in Bar Harbor on the Enchantment in September...

I will continue to discourage people from renting a car - the Bar Harbor area is one of the 25 most congested vacation spots in the US. To rent a car you must first find a taxi that is willing to take you off island - It is 12-15 miles away to the airport where one can get a car rental - the 12-15 miles can take forever with the traffic (depending on time of day and day of the week) - Remember that it is all small roads with one lane for each direction. Charge would be rather steep for a taxi ride, as I think they might have to charge both ways as it is very unlikely that they would get a fare back to Bar Harbor. Some areas are 25 miles per hour - Also you might end up doing the loop road and not being able to stop and park due to the heavy traffic and lack of parking spaces. Jan

Bar harbor itself is tiny and can be easily walked from one end to the other. Along with about 1500 other people from the ship and the summer tourists by the hundreds at the same time. However if you want to venture out of town there is a lot to see within a very short distance. I would personally prefer to rent a car for Acadia just to be able to stop when and where I want for as long as I want. There are so many turn outs, walking paths, Sand Beach to explore, Otter Cliffs, Thunder Hole and driving up Cadillac (yes it is curvy!!). Stopping at the Jordon pond House for popovers! The carriage paths to explore, and don't forget you can also rent bikes in Bar Harbor to explore the park (for those who like to work up a sweat on vacation). If you opt to do a tour at least make it touring Acadia! You won't be disappointed. Try these sites for a lot of info:

http://www.nps.gov/acad/

http://www.maine.gov/portal/visiting/

Exactly what day will you be in Bar Harbor? Anyone.

Bookbug - Let's say that we sign on to a bus tour of Acadia. When it's over, can we stay and hike around? Do we have to leave, come back and pay a fee? I'm trying to picture the best way to fit in everything we want to enjoy in Bar Harbor. (I was there when I was 12...........the memory is a little hazy.....) :)

Oh, and if we stay, how far and long a walk is it back to the docks?

Carol

Hi Jan and other folks from Maine:

I have hired a van to take our group of 14 on a 5-hour tour that includes several stops in Acadia, as well as Northeast Harbor and Seal Harbor.

I am now exploring possibilities for lunch in Bar Harbor for many of us once we return from the tour. The places that seemed the most attractive/interesting with respect to availability for lunch, variety of menu, etc. appeared to be Geddy's, Galyn's, and West End Cafe. Any other suggestions? I'm wondering whether any of these places accept reservations, since there are so many of us and we would not like to wait for a table, as we want to have a little time to explore Bar Harbor or walk the shoreline path before returning to the tender dock by around 4 p.m.

Thanks.

David

Archived