Anybody try South Coast Horizons for Kayaking?

jtmalt

I just stumbled across South Coast Horizons, and I wonder if anyone has had any experience with them. They offer a tour on the south coast of Antigua that includes kayaking (or pedal boating) through the mangroves, a snorkel trip to Cades Reef, and the remainder of the day at a "secluded beach". A drink is included but lunch is optional.

It sounds great, but I haven't been able to find any reviews. I'm hoping for comments from anyone that has had personal experience with them.

I just stumbled across South Coast Horizons, and I wonder if anyone has had any experience with them. They offer a tour on the south coast of Antigua that includes kayaking (or pedal boating) through the mangroves, a snorkel trip to Cades Reef, and the remainder of the day at a "secluded beach". A drink is included but lunch is optional.

It sounds great, but I haven't been able to find any reviews. I'm hoping for comments from anyone that has had personal experience with them.

I'd be interested in any info on this as well.

Hasn't anyone here used South Coast Horizons? Please, if you have, share your experience. I can't find any reviews of this tour anywhere on the internet. I know they've been around for a while, but it's puzzling (and perhaps a little disconcerting) that there are no reviews to be found ANYWHERE.:confused:

I was about to post the same thread! we are looking at this outfitter as an alternative to the Antigua Paddles. SOCOHO is all day and Paddles only 4hrs. I've sent them an email so will see how soon they respond.

I was about to post the same thread! we are looking at this outfitter as an alternative to the Antigua Paddles. SOCOHO is all day and Paddles only 4hrs. I've sent them an email so will see how soon they respond.

FWIW, Antigua Paddles is a nice excursion. We used them last year, looking for something a little different with a bit more beach time this time around, and SOCOHO caught my eye.

If you're going before May, you can be the guinea pig!:D

Edited by jtmalt

I've called her after this email. Seems that lagoon is small and kayaking takes only 10-15min to the beach. But they pick you up and for $45 or $55 with lunch sounds ok since taxi alone will cost half, about $30 (that's what she said). I still would like some feedback from a previous traveler before booking. I like the idea we can hang out on the beach. And snorkeling is by motor bout. We need min of 5 people for the trip. Any takers?

" The Jeep Safari / Lagoon Eco with kayaking and snorkeling is US$45.00. This means you are picked up from the port in a Safari jeep,see a bit of the island and then down to South Coast Horizon for the eco lagoon with kayak and snorkel tour.

The tour for US$64.40 includes lunch, guided eco tour and kayaking. It does not include safari jeep and snorkeling.

The tour with snorkeling is about two (2) hours but you are welcome to spend time on the beach afterwards until time to leave.

We are available if you require further assistance."

Edited by inblue

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I just posted about this today, I didn't see your post. I e-mailed them several times and have gotten slow responses and one time no response. I would like to know if anyone has done this before I hand over a credit card number to book. Sounds like a great deal. I'm going in November on the Carnival Freedom. Hopefully, somebody will have some feedback by then.

• 3 months later...

My wife and I went on South Coast Horizon's Jeep Safari tour while on the AOS the week of October 11. This was one of our favorite excursions. We were greeted and taken well care of by if I remember his name I think it was Ricky. It was just the two of us so this made for a special trip. We met the guide/driver outside the gate near the taxi stand holding their sign. We started off in the jeep on our way to Devil's bridge while driving he was narrating highlights along the roadside as we passed. The view at Devils Bridge is amazing. Seeing this area in person is way better than any pictures you see. From there we went to a Cliffside where there were old remains where they used to hold gun powder and you could see Eric Clapton's estate across the bay. At some point we were given fresh pineapple to snack on. Then we drove until we got to their facilities. The Kayak portion is short and narrow but for us was just the right amount of kayak especially since we kayak to their private beach and then back after we were done with the snorkeling, lunch and time at the beach. The snorkeling was very nice at Cades Reef. Much of the reef has been damaged by hurricanes but there was still plenty of fish to be seen and was very shallow to snorkel through. Lunch was very good with jerk chicken, rice, mixed greens, rum punch and fruit punch. Their punch is the best. After lunch the chicken bones were used to lure in a mongoose that we both saw for the first time. Then we hit the ocean and beach for more relaxation before kayaking back. Finally we were guided back to the ship with more narration on the way. Our tour guide was the most professional and kind and easy to talk with at all our stops to ask questions or to strike up a conversation. He even asked us if the ride was too bumpy which it was not. He would slow down around bumps and honk going around corners to warn possible cars coming from the other direction. I am so happy that we did this tour. The jeep has seating for up to eight, but to be comfortable I think no more than six should be on this tour at one time.

• 4 years later...
We'd like to book for November, but I've had no response yet to the email I sent 10/16. Admittedly, it's only been a few days, but I'd like to get this secured.

they do have recent reviews on t.a. Tour looks inexpensive just for kayaking/snorkeling. Wasn't ranked very high on T.A. though. Read all reviews of it if you haven't a;ready

Heard back today, with an apology for it taking a few days.

For $65 pp, they'll pick us up at the pier, take us to some historical sights, we can kayak, snorkel at Cades Reef, and have lunch before being returned to the ship.

At DH's request, I've sent another email asking to skip the historical sites (spent a day visiting them a few years ago) and lunch, as he'd prefer to eat on the ship.

Heard back today, with an apology for it taking a few days.

For $65 pp, they'll pick us up at the pier, take us to some historical sights, we can kayak, snorkel at Cades Reef, and have lunch before being returned to the ship.

At DH's request, I've sent another email asking to skip the historical sites (spent a day visiting them a few years ago) and lunch, as he'd prefer to eat on the ship.

We are booked for the "G" tour, it includes Cades reef which is what we were looking for, we sail Dec 1, if you are taking this tour and have time to post anything we should know about it please report back.

• 2 weeks later...

We did this tour with south coast horizons probably 2 or 3 years back and they were probably the most unorganized vendor that we have ever used. They were late picking us up in the morning then their vehicle wouldn't start. Cadis reef is pretty good snorkel but our time was cut short because of our late start, then went back to the beach for lunch, had to wait more than 2 hours before the lunch was delivered from who knows where. Thank goodness they got us back to our ship on time but when I got home they had double billed us and this took months to get straightened out. NEVER AGAIN!! Lou

We did this tour with south coast horizons probably 2 or 3 years back and they were probably the most unorganized vendor that we have ever used. They were late picking us up in the morning then their vehicle wouldn't start. Cadis reef is pretty good snorkel but our time was cut short because of our late start, then went back to the beach for lunch, had to wait more than 2 hours before the lunch was delivered from who knows where. Thank goodness they got us back to our ship on time but when I got home they had double billed us and this took months to get straightened out. NEVER AGAIN!! Lou

Thanks for the reply, I hope they have improved, we already paid a deposit!

Has anyone out there done this tour in 2014???

• 2 weeks later...

We loved our day this month with SoCOHo.

The charming Nyah was there right on time and gave us an I formative tour, even stopping to buy us fresh fruit. Very good natured about answering questions.

We felt very comfortable with the manager (with whom I had been corresponding) and Roseanne, who was in charge of kayaking and snorkeling, both of which we enjoyed.

The lunch on the beach was delightful, and Nyah took us back via a different route to show us more sights.

All 6 of us thought the day was great.

• 1 month later...

We had a great time on this tour just a few weeks ago, another couple from our roll call were also on it, just the 4 of us, Nyah took us to many interesting spots on the way to South Coast Horizons, the kayaking was great as was the snorkeling, lunch was served promptly when we got back to the small beach area after snorkeling. I always bring something for myself to eat because the chicken and rice that usually accompanies this type tour is not to my liking, so I just don't take a plate, but those that ate it liked it, I think there were fresh steamed vegetables as well as chicken (dark meat) and rice (maybe some beans in it?)

I would definitely recommend this tour.

• 2 weeks later...

We just used South Coast Horizons in December. We enjoyed our day with them.

We were the only people on this tour--I think it was tour G. We were met at the port by our very nice guide--Ricky? --and were in a small open-air safari type vehicle. We enjoyed the ride in the open; my husband thought the seats were pretty uncomfortable, but I didn't mind.

I thought we were just having a brief island tour, but it was actually pretty comprehensive. He drove us to one end of the island, to the Devil's Bridge, narrating along the way. We stopped at several view sites; he was glad to stop where ever we wanted. We also toured an old restored sugar mill as we headed for the other end of the island.

He stopped along the way for a great snack of fresh island fruits. When we arrived at the resort, as far as I could tell we were the only ones there, which is a shame. Our guide for the kayaking and snorkeling was very nice; since it was school vacation, her very cute 9 year old daughter came along.

The kayaking is very easy and not too long, but I enjoyed the mangroves. The little girl was my guide through there, as my husband had trouble with the kayak and rode in a boat. The snorkeling was good; like almost all areas in the Caribbean the coral is mostly dead, but we did see lots of fish.

After snorkeling we went to the small private beach. We waited about ten minutes or so for lunch, which was delivered by boat. The lunch was fine, but nothing spectacular. Dark meat chicken, salad, rice. I don't like chicken, but had plenty to eat anyway--I know going in it would be chicken, but I have just learned to deal with this, and certainly don't need an enormous meal after being on the ship for 5 or 6 days already!

Ricky drove us back along another route, again narrating history and different sites.

We enjoyed our day and would do it again. The price was quite reasonable for such personalized service.

My husband would like white meat chicken--he says chickens in the Caribbean must not grow breasts!--and more comfy seats in the safari bus. He also couldn't use the kayak because the seat had no back--Nyah (sp) did bring him a portable back, but it broke right away. I didn't have any trouble with this.

• 4 years later...

We did this tour last week and it was the worst excursion we've ever had.  I sent an email to see if they picked up from the dock and it took 10 days for a response. By then I was looking elsewhere. I looked into Reef Runners but I didn't want to spend $80 pp for just 2 hrs and their all day tour was $150 pp so I looked into going to Cade's Reef and Nelson's Dockyard on our own. I decided that was too complicated to coordinate on a short port visit so I decided to get a taxi to Nelson's Dockyard and snorkel at nearby Galleon Beach and hike up to Shirley Heights, not necessarily in that order. But I kept reading that Cade's reef had much better snorkeling than elsewhere on the island and Reef Riders was booked by then so, after reading these comments, I went  back to South Coast Horizons and booked their all day tour for $100pp.

They were supposed to pick us up at the dock at 9. At 9:15 we tipped a local taxi driver for use of his cell phone.  They said the driver had a problem but was on his way and would be there in 15-20 min. A women finally showed up at 9:40. She was nice and gave us information about the island as we drove to the hotel to join a group that was preparing to go on the kayak/snorkel. Our guides were pleasant enough and kayaking through the mangroves was nice but it was 10 min max and we took a short boat rise to the reef. It was decent snorkeling but  we only snorkeled for 30 min before returning to the beach.  Then we waited at least 45 min for lunch to arrive. There were many trees for shade and picnic tables to sit at but the beach was more like pebbles than sand. We were somewhat entertained by a mongoose running around the picnic area.  When lunch finally arrive it was a BBQ chicken leg quarter (that looked more like a Cornish hen), some lettuce with tomato, rice and some other veg I can't remember. After lunch we kayaked back through the mangroves and started our "island tour". 

We drove around in a "safari" jeep with plastic "windows" that were folded in half instead of being rolled up out of the way so you had to duck down or lift them up to see clearly. The cushions for the seats were several inches smaller than the seat frame in length and width so they weren't very comfortable to sit on and they slid around. There was a speaker in the back where we sat but the driver didn't talk the entire time other than to announce that we were at Betty's Hope, Devil's Bridge and that we were driving through the rain forest (Fig Drive).  That's all we saw before heading back to the ship. The tour was also supposed to go by Nelson's Dockyard and Half Moon Bay and, silly me, thought we might get to see nearby Shirley Heights since it's so close to Nelson Dockyard.

A couple that was staying on the island did the kayak/snorkel and "island tour" with us and they seemed to be very happy with the tour but I thought $100 pp was way overpriced for what we received. More importantly, the tour wasn't as described.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for posting an update. It's been.. wow going on 10 years since my wife and I did this on our honeymoon cruise. I'm sad to see they raised the prices that much and sorry the tour didn't sound like what we received. I hope things change for the better going forward. We have done Eli's eco tours after that and those were done very well.