R ship OV rooms

smilin jack

We like the ones on Deck 4

Really.....did you stay by the door across from the doctor, the rooms next to reception, was their any noise?

We have never been on an R ship....I don't know where the door to the doctor is...just asking for some help from someone that has been there...

Really.....did you stay by the door across from the doctor, the rooms next to reception, was their any noise?

We have never been on an R ship....I don't know where the door to the doctor is...just asking for some help from someone that has been there...

We recently stayed in 4045 which is on the starboard side just a little ways down from Guest Relations. There was not really any noise from the lobby but on a day that we tendered there was a lot of noise above us when they were taking the tender boat down. They started really early, 6:30 or so. What was really interesting was that they lowered the boat and it was hanging right beside our window, which was by the bed. It looked like it banged into the ship a time or two. Quite the wake up call.

Other than that it was a really good location.

Had you mentioned this in the original post it would have been better

We have stayed in ones on starboard side as well near reception

One cruise the office personal seem to not catch the door as they went in/out so it did bang

Yes the lifeboats can be a problem going by the window

Location is great to get to the GDR plus Barristas will be there & the great hall when the string quartet plays in the evening

We have spent 62 days (on 2 cruises) in that area ...all good except for the door banging

Friends stayed in 6043 on Insignia last month and hated it. Very small, oddly arranged, and the OV was so obstructed that there was very little daylight in their cabin.

There were 609 passengers on a ship that holds 684, but O was unwilling to work with them to move to a different cabin. Disappointing.

Friends stayed in 6043 on Insignia last month and hated it. Very small, oddly arranged, and the OV was so obstructed that there was very little daylight in their cabin.

There were 609 passengers on a ship that holds 684, but O was unwilling to work with them to move to a different cabin. Disappointing.

You're mixing apples and oranges.

The "OV Cabins" which are the subject of this thread are OCEAN VIEW, not Obstructed view, and they are on Deck 4, not on Deck 6.

DEck 6 OV midship are the worst cabins on any ship....small,oddly arranged and dark. Lifeboats block almost the entire window. Even when the ship is in a port and the window is unblocked , the cabin is dark from the overhang of deck 7. I would rather be in an inside cabin than in a deck 6 OV. Deck 6 OV should be avoided. Deck 4 OV is okay. They have large windows. Deck 3 OV is same size with port holes. Deck 6,7,8 each have 2 OV cabins forward which are larger than the adjoining veranda cabins. They are often booked quickly. My favorite location is deck 7 veranda midship or forward.

Did they not offer an upgrade for a fee??

The Obstructed view cabins are clearly marked on the deck plans as you know

why would they book one if they wanted daylight???

Oh, very sorry for misinterpreting OV as Ocean View not Obstructed View.

They have sailed in other Obstructed View cabins before without complaint, so were surprised by the tiny cabin, awkward layout, and amount of obstruction--all different from their previous experiences.

No, O would not upgrade them for a fee. They were even willing to downgrade to an inside cabin, but O still wanted them to pay the higher Obstructed View rate for that.

Oh, very sorry for misinterpreting OV as Ocean View not Obstructed View.

They have sailed in other Obstructed View cabins before without complaint, so were surprised by the tiny cabin, awkward layout, and amount of obstruction--all different from their previous experiences.

No, O would not upgrade them for a fee. They were even willing to downgrade to an inside cabin, but O still wanted them to pay the higher Obstructed View rate for that.

So as not to not give the other folks reading this an incorrect impression, I'll point out that we have sailed in one of those Deck 6 obstructed view staterooms, and although we did pine for larger accommodations, we also felt that the size of the room was very much in line with the price that we payed.

15158347130_3b717c3776_z.jpg

The view is obstructed by placement of the lifeboats, but we still valued the window for the huge amount of natural light which it supplied.

staterooms-3d-e.jpgstaterooms-ship-e.png At that time, there was no loveseat in these rooms, but one has since been added, between the bathroom,and the cabin entrance. You'll see the corner of a loveseat in the photo above, but they have not yet appeared on the floor plans.

These rooms are 22 square feet smaller than a Standard or Deluxe Ocean View, but that difference in size is scrupulously spelled out in all of the brochures and at the Oceania Web Site, so your friends had every reason to know what they were buying, even before they ever stepped onto the ship.

013131.jpg

Also, while this isn't counted in the square footage, the large windowsill next to the bed is very deep and commodious (about 2 feet deep and 5 or 6 feet wide). Two adults could easily sit in it like a window seat; alternately, we found it very handy for storing those items which we did not want cluttering other surfaces in the room, yet needed easy access to.

On other cruises, I've missed that shelf space sorely, even when we were lucky enough to be sailing in a Suite.

As far as the "awkward layout" is concerned, the oddest thing about these cabins is that they are positioned such that their long side runs parallel to the corridor. The entrance door bisects that long wall, giving the impression that one enters into the center of the cabin.

Slightly concerning at first, for those inclined to dishabille, but nothing that should cause any undue long term aggravation. If you really think about it, the beds can be seen from the front door of almost all of the non Suite Cabins.

020046.jpg

We have stayed in 4056 and there was no noise except when passengers were getting off the ship. Then the area was congested. We prefer the deluxe oceanviews in the forward area of deck 7 such as 7006. thy are slightly larger because the balcony space is part of the cabin. Now we need a handicapped cabin and will have to stay in an inside cabin on deck 4. I wish the R ships had outside accessibles. Even if there was no balcony. When Princess acquired 2 of the Rs they converted several cabins on deck 4 to accessible.

Edited by dorisis

I suppose technically the instructed view cabins also remain Ocean View, as they are not interior and they don't have balconies. Perhaps they should be called OOV - Obstructed Ocean View.

We've sailed 4042 and have 4043 reserved for the World Cruise. They are both very near the center of the ship. The closer to center, one theory goes, the smoother the ride.

Sent from my XT1031 using Forums mobile app

StanandJim, they had neither a loveseat nor a window seat in their cabin. The only place to sit was on the bed.

We do a lot of chatting on Cruise Critic about requesting lounge chairs for verandas, bed modifications, etc and a sidebar of that kind of customization means that it is entirely possible that some former occupant felt that the love-seat made the cabin feel too crowded and asked that it be removed.

As you can see, it IS a part of the basic layout for that type of stateroom

staterooms-ship-e.png

While I'm willing to concede that the love-seat might not have been automatically replaced as it should have been before your friends boarded the ship, that is as far as logic allows me to go.

Sitting in the window alcove may never have occurred to them; but as part of the structure of the ship, it is not up for discussion that the window sill was there.

StanandJim, they had neither a loveseat nor a window seat in their cabin. The only place to sit was on the bed.

Not apropos of a cruise accommodation but I was in a hotel room in Oakland, CA (around $175 a night) and when my college roommate popped in for a visit (we were at Reunion) the only place she could sit was indeed on the bed. (I was occupying the one chair in the room which was at the desk, she got the bed.)

She could have gone outside to my miniscule balcony, but then there wouldn't have been room for both of us.

The space in the room itself was larger than most of the "R" ship accommodations, but still ...not many "sit places".

OTOH, the bathroom was quite a bit larger than the basic rooms on the "R" ships.

I'm not denying that space in the cabins below the PH level on the "R" ships are small. They are ... That's why we upgraded ourselves long ago. Space is important to us, but obviously (when you read the comments on CC), not everyone puts as much importance on space as we do.

Someone said a day or two ago (not sure if it was on this thread or not) that the bathrooms on the "R" ships in the lower categories (I think "A" and below) were the smallest they'd ever seen on a ship.

No, I'd have to disagree there ... I've seen smaller ... but again, the shower in the "A" and below categories is the one big reason why we started booking PH on the "R" ships.

Mura

Mura

Best OV cabins on R ships 6004, 6005, 7006, 7007

Just spent 20 days on the Nautica in 6005 no obstructions and bigger that a regular verandah stateroom. Search out the deck plans and you will see.

The deck 6 cabins are above the show lounge and might be a little noisier. We prefer those on deck 7. But be aware that those forward cabins can also be bumpy in rough seas.

Best OV cabins on R ships 6004, 6005, 7006, 7007

Just spent 20 days on the Nautica in 6005 no obstructions and bigger that a regular verandah stateroom. Search out the deck plans and you will see.

Yes, as dorisis mentioned below, in bumpy seas what you are calling the best cabins could become the worst nightmare for those susceptible to movement. While I have no sea sickness issues I really don't prefer a far forward room in rough seas, just can't seem to sleep.

Everyone has to evaluate their individual preferences and needs.

The deck 6 cabins are above the show lounge and might be a little noisier. We prefer those on deck 7. But be aware that those forward cabins can also be bumpy in rough seas.

Funny, we've never been concerned about the R ship standard bathrooms, maybe because they're larger than in our RV. I do have it on good authority that two can fit in the standard showers...

Sent from my XT1031 using Forums mobile app