Boston Hotel with shuttle to airport & cruise terminal??

stooth

We have a group going on RCCL Brilliance, Sept 18, 2015, we are looking for a hotel that maybe has shuttle service from airport and then to cruise terminal the next day. We are going to come in on Sept. 17 just for one night. Would like to at least have somewhere to eat and maybe close to the "T" Any suggestions?

Or is there some shuttle service that we could use?

DH and I are sailing on the Brilliance of the Sea on October 25, 2015. We are coming to Boston on Amtrak and are planning on getting off at the South Station on Saturday, October 24th. We need a place to stay overnight. Really don't want to pay $300 or more for a room. Looked at one B&B but they require a three night stay on weekends. Any suggestions on a place to stay? Would like a budget of $100-$150, if possible. Don't need anything fancy, just clean and a place to sleep.

We have a group going on RCCL Brilliance, Sept 18, 2015, we are looking for a hotel that maybe has shuttle service from airport and then to cruise terminal the next day. We are going to come in on Sept. 17 just for one night. Would like to at least have somewhere to eat and maybe close to the "T" Any suggestions?

Or is there some shuttle service that we could use?

Pleas provide lots of details.

How large is your group? How many rooms do you need? What is your hotel budget? Can you manage your luggage? What time of day would you be arriving?

The hotels that offer an airport and cruise shuttle are in fringe areas of Boston not close to downtown Boston and may not have good T access either. You're looking for a Thur night, so prices probably aren't good either.

DH and I are sailing on the Brilliance of the Sea on October 25, 2015. We are coming to Boston on Amtrak and are planning on getting off at the South Station on Saturday, October 24th. We need a place to stay overnight. Really don't want to pay $300 or more for a room. Looked at one B&B but they require a three night stay on weekends. Any suggestions on a place to stay? Would like a budget of $100-$150, if possible. Don't need anything fancy, just clean and a place to sleep.

That's an unrealistic budget for Boston. Look at the John Jeffries House and book it if they have availability. Fall is high season in Boston with all the college activities and leaf peeping.

I just found Holiday Inn Express at 69 Boston Street that offers free shuttle to the pier for $159 on Stay 123. I called and they don't pick up at Amtrak but told me if we take the Red Line to Andrew Station, the shuttle would pick us up there. How does that sound to you? Is it easy to take the Red Line to Andrews Station. Our train gets in at 9:10 PM (Amtrak time).

I just found Holiday Inn Express at 69 Boston Street that offers free shuttle to the pier for $159 on Stay 123. I called and they don't pick up at Amtrak but told me if we take the Red Line to Andrew Station, the shuttle would pick us up there. How does that sound to you? Is it easy to take the Red Line to Andrews Station. Our train gets in at 9:10 PM (Amtrak time).

Call John Jeffries first. The HIX is in Dorchester and IMO you don't want to be hanging out at Andrews waiting for a shuttle late at night. John Jeffries is in Beacon Hill near the Charles MGH T station, which is only three quick stations from South Station - much better late at night. It is a B&B hotel near Mass Gen Hospital. If you stay there you can take the Red Line back to South Station and transfer to the Silver Line SL2 to Black Falcon Terminal. Couldn't be easier and you can poke around Beacon Hill before your cruise if you like.

Right now there are three couples that will need rooms. One of our ladies would have trouble with luggage trying to do the train, so we would really need to have shuttle service or taxi service. Would love to stay under $250, but know with what I am asking for that may not be possible. Any help would be appreciated!

Right now there are three couples that will need rooms. One of our ladies would have trouble with luggage trying to do the train, so we would really need to have shuttle service or taxi service. Would love to stay under $250, but know with what I am asking for that may not be possible. Any help would be appreciated!

How important is the T access to Boston? Do you have visions of going in town the day you arrive to eat or sightsee? $250 is not going to get you a "name" hotel in Downtown Boston.

As I recommended to Flowers44 you might want to look at the John Jeffries House in Boston for your date. Otherwise you are going to have to stay in a more fringe area at the Holiday Inn Express in Dorchester or the Adams BestWestern in Quincy where you will get the shuttles, but will not be close to downtown.

Call John Jeffries first. The HIX is in Dorchester and IMO you don't want to be hanging out at Andrews waiting for a shuttle late at night. John Jeffries is in Beacon Hill near the Charles MGH T station, which is only three quick stations from South Station - much better late at night. It is a B&B hotel near Mass Gen Hospital. If you stay there you can take the Red Line back to South Station and transfer to the Silver Line SL2 to Black Falcon Terminal. Couldn't be easier and you can poke around Beacon Hill before your cruise if you like.

Will there be taxis available at South Station when we get off the train around 9 PM? If you say standing around Andrews Station that late at night waiting for a shuttle might not be safe, we would just take a taxi directly to the Holiday Inn Express in Dorchester. We have stayed at the Holiday Inn Express on Long Island and have enjoyed their hotel and services. I would like to stay with them. The John Jeffries House lists a double at the time of year at $164 plus tax and that doesn't include the breakfast or shuttle. As long as there are taxis available at South Station, I think we will go with

Stay123 and take the Holiday Inn Express Room. Thanks for your input.

I think you will be fine at the HIX. I just wanted you to know the available options. There should be cabs at the cab stand on Atlantic Avenue, particularly since you're coming in on Amtrak from NYC. You could be fine at Andrews as well, but I don't feel comfortable telling you it's OK to hang out on a street corner in Dorchester late at night.

I think you will be fine at the HIX. I just wanted you to know the available options. There should be cabs at the cab stand on Atlantic Avenue, particularly since you're coming in on Amtrak from NYC. You could be fine at Andrews as well, but I don't feel comfortable telling you it's OK to hang out on a street corner in Dorchester late at night.

Agree 100%. This is a part of Boston that tourists do not go to, unless they have a specific reason to go there . . . and I can't think of one.

I just checked the Best Western Adams Inn and the rate for 9/17 for 2 would be $156. per night. Can't find a better rate than this and free breakfast and airport shuttle as well. Not sure if they would do a shuttle to the cruise port but u could call or email them and ask. They might charge a fee but it would be worth it. It's about 4.2 miles to the Black Falcon cruise port so you could take a taxi.

http://book.bestwestern.com/bestwestern/US/MA/Quincy-hotels/BEST-WESTERN-Adams-Inn/Hotel-Overview.do?iata=00170230&propertyCode=22041&SOB=TRIPHWS

Phone: 617/328-1500 (local #)

Toll Free Reservations: 800-368-4012

I would suggest that you book this hotel if you need 3 rooms as you may not be able to find anything in this price range if you wait. Boston hotels are coming up in the $400+ range for 9/17. The hotel gets good reviews and as long as you realize it is not a 4 or 5* place and will only be there for 1 night you should be fine. We have driven by this hotel many times on our way into Boston. Just make sure you know the cancellation terms if you find something else.

Flowers44 - maybe you should consider this hotel also for your Oct. stay. The rate for 10/24 stay would be approx. $147-164 depending upon the room type (flex rate or AAA etc.). Again, doesn't say whether they would shuttle to cruise port but it isn't that far so a taxi wouldn't be all that expensive (don't think it would be more than $25.).

http://www.ihg.com/holidayinnexpress/hotels/us/en/boston/boshj/hoteldetail

stooth: Rate comes up $199 for 9/17 stay.

Edited by cruisingmimi

Best Western DOES shuttle to Black Falcon.

Excellent value, often under-rated. I drive by it when I head to Boston 2-3x's wk. It's just off the highway, very good front desk staff - yes I have spent a few night there pre-cruise in order to make very early flights - they offer park & stay. If the van isn't busy, they have driven me to the MBTA access point and to restaurants in the area.

darcy

I just checked the Best Western Adams Inn and the rate for 9/17 for 2 would be $156. per night. Can't find a better rate than this and free breakfast and airport shuttle as well. Not sure if they would do a shuttle to the cruise port but u could call or email them and ask. They might charge a fee but it would be worth it. It's about 4.2 miles to the Black Falcon cruise port so you could take a taxi.

http://book.bestwestern.com/bestwestern/US/MA/Quincy-hotels/BEST-WESTERN-Adams-Inn/Hotel-Overview.do?iata=00170230&propertyCode=22041&SOB=TRIPHWS

Phone: 617/328-1500 (local #)

Toll Free Reservations: 800-368-4012

I would suggest that you book this hotel if you need 3 rooms as you may not be able to find anything in this price range if you wait. Boston hotels are coming up in the $400+ range for 9/17. The hotel gets good reviews and as long as you realize it is not a 4 or 5* place and will only be there for 1 night you should be fine. We have driven by this hotel many times on our way into Boston. Just make sure you know the cancellation terms if you find something else.

Flowers44 - maybe you should consider this hotel also for your Oct. stay. The rate for 10/24 stay would be approx. $147-164 depending upon the room type (flex rate or AAA etc.). Again, doesn't say whether they would shuttle to cruise port but it isn't that far so a taxi wouldn't be all that expensive (don't think it would be more than $25.).

http://www.ihg.com/holidayinnexpress/hotels/us/en/boston/boshj/hoteldetail

stooth: Rate comes up $199 for 9/17 stay.

The Best Western Adams does offer a Cruiseport shuttle. However it is in Quincy about 5 miles from downtown Boaton on a Braintree train. So this means that it is about a 20 minute T subway ride on the Red Line plus time to get to the station and wait for the train. It would be fine for smooth's group, but they need to understand how long it would take them to go into downtown Boston in the evening.

Hi 138, agree w/ what you are saying about getting into Boston. It would not be my choice because I know it's a bit further away from the city. However, as you know, people don't want to pay Boston's high hotel prices (which they will be to be located right in the heart of Boston). I do the same thing myself when we travel - always trying to find a bargain! LOL It's good to know there is a shuttle to Black Falcon. It's good to hear that it is not a bad place to spend a night or two.

Everyone has a different take on hotel accommodations so it's good to point out what is out there for them. Some just want a place to put their head at night and are not fussy about the accommodations. Hope they all have a great cruise!

I have made a reservation at the Holiday Inn Express. I have also changed my means of getting to Boston since Amtrak's Lakeshore Limited is notorious for arriving into Boston about 3 AM, which is 6 hours late. We are now coming to Boston by Greyhound Bus. It is a 9 1/2 ride and arrives about 5:30 PM. This sounds much better than 3 AM. It will be daylight and we can take a taxi to our hotel. In checking the area around the hotel, I have found an Olive Garden, a Panera Bread, and an Applebee's. Sounds like supper is not too far away. Since the Holiday Inn Express package gives a free shuttle to the pier and breakfast, I think it is the best choice for us. We have stayed in a Holiday Inn Express on Long Island when we have sailed on the Explorer and were always very happy with their service.

HIX is almost always fine. It's a shame you're going to be in Boston and never *be* in Boston, though.

Actually, we were in Boston last year on our New England/Canada cruise. We did the Red Trolley Tour and really enjoyed our day. Very informative drivers and lots of choices where to get off and on. It is a lovely city.

Thanks for all your help...I think we will do the Best Western Adams Inn, today it is booking for $147 which is great!

If you are ever down near SC...give me a shout, maybe I can return the favor :D

Jiffymom - Book some sort of cancellable room NOW - that is Head of the Charles Weekend. If you want to be in town, see if John Jeffries has any rooms left. You could get lucky towards the end on Hotwire.

Staying in Revere is in the same category as the discussion In this thread about staying in Dorchester or Quincy.

If you want to stay in town all day when you disembark, go to Rowes Water Taxi at the Boston Harbor Hotel where you can store your luggage for free if you take the $10 water taxi to Logan. To get to your hotel, take the water taxi and the free airport shuttle to the terminals to get your hotel shuttle.

Consider having a nice lunch in town and make do for dinner. It is a hike out to the Sheraton and you probably won't want to schlep back into town.

Edited by 138east

Hi stooth, glad you got something booked and think it will work out for you. As long as you know it is not directly downtown Boston shouldn't be a problem.

Where do you live in SC? We might stop and say hello as we are going to be driving down to MB beginning of Feb. We are hoping weather will get a bit warmer than what we have here right now.

My bro has stayed at Comfort Inn in Revere when he comes up from NC. They have an airport shuttle and its right near Suffolk Down race track and T station stop. Shuttle drove him there as well. 24 hr. airport shuttle. Revere is a not downtown Boston but if you want to save $$$ on hotels it could work out well.

Sheraton also has airport shuttle service. This could be a good option for those looking for just a pillow stop!

As 138 points out water taxi is a good option for getting to downtown from airport and cruise port.

http://www.boston-discovery-guide.com/water-taxi-from-logan-airport.html

Edited by cruisingmimi

I have made a reservation at the Holiday Inn Express. I have also changed my means of getting to Boston since Amtrak's Lakeshore Limited is notorious for arriving into Boston about 3 AM, which is 6 hours late. We are now coming to Boston by Greyhound Bus. It is a 9 1/2 ride and arrives about 5:30 PM. This sounds much better than 3 AM. It will be daylight and we can take a taxi to our hotel. In checking the area around the hotel, I have found an Olive Garden, a Panera Bread, and an Applebee's. Sounds like supper is not too far away. Since the Holiday Inn Express package gives a free shuttle to the pier and breakfast, I think it is the best choice for us. We have stayed in a Holiday Inn Express on Long Island when we have sailed on the Explorer and were always very happy with their service.

Agree that HIX is in a fringe area but the pros outweigh the cons and just use safety common sense. My daughter used to live in the apartments at UMASS Boston and would often walk from Columbia Point to her job at Applebees even at night without incident. Just don't wear flashy jewelry; etc. That area has almost every store you would need before a cruise. If you are brave, you can always take the train from Andrew into town. Best Western is also not a bad area but there are fewer stores there. I do like the tacky Cathay Pacific nearbye. I grew up in Quincy and recommend the Adams NPS tour if in season which is a train ride in the opposite direction to Quincy Center.