NYC port, fly or rent a car?

glituner32

On a convenience level, which would you do. Taking the Carnival Splendor in June the cruise ends in manhattan port nyc. But starts in San juan.

For 2 people. We live in VA.

1. Take Carnival bus or cab to either JFK or EWR and fly back. Cost $75 a person for flight and $60 for cab/shuttle

2. Rent a car in NYC and drive 4-5 hours back to home. Cost $150 for rental car.

3. Take Bus back to VA- Cost $30 a person

Thanks

For many Amtrak trains there is no checked luggage service. No stories about folks having problems taking on big bags as long as the number of bags is reasonable.

There is a place in each train car where you can store your luggage. When we do travel by Amtrak, we usually have two large pieces that we store, and a couple of little pieces we store above the seats. There is not a lot of space, maybe 15-20? pieces, so you would want to be near the front of the line to board.

We live in MD and have family in NY. When I get off a cruise or fly back from a European cruise to JFK the last thing I want to do is get in a car and drive 4 - 5 hours. Depending on traffic, the time it takes to get from the port to JFK could be staggering (LGA might be an option). If there was someone who could pick you up in DC the train might be an option albeit a more expensive one. I have taken the Megabus from NYC to Baltimore and its not bad. That all said, there is not an ideal answer. If you like to drive, that might be your best bet, however the cost will be closer to $250 when you include gas and tolls.

If you like to drive, that might be your best bet, however the cost will be closer to $250 when you include gas and tolls.

Not to mention even on a one way rental taxes are very high on rentral cars in NYC, less if then if you were returning it in NYC but you still get hit with a ton of them.

Amtrak long distance coaches used for going south of DC have limited room for larger suitcases as others have posted. Just make sure you aren't in one of the Regional Coaches that get removed during the layover in DC or Philly. They have more seats as have a tighter seat pitch.

While Amtrak is more cost then bus I think it is the best option IMHO

We live in MD and have family in NY. When I get off a cruise or fly back from a European cruise to JFK the last thing I want to do is get in a car and drive 4 - 5 hours. Depending on traffic, the time it takes to get from the port to JFK could be staggering (LGA might be an option). If there was someone who could pick you up in DC the train might be an option albeit a more expensive one. I have taken the Megabus from NYC to Baltimore and its not bad. That all said, there is not an ideal answer. If you like to drive, that might be your best bet, however the cost will be closer to $250 when you include gas and tolls.

How much do you think gas and tolls will cost to drive from Manhattan to Baltimore?

How much do you think gas and tolls will cost to drive from Manhattan to Baltimore?

Another option we have is to drive from EWR to Baltimore. Would it be cheaper than from Manhattan due to the tolls? Anyone know what the estimated gas and tolls would be from EWR to Baltimore?

You don't save that much in tolls starting from Newark as the bridges/tunnels charge a two way toll when you enter the city (hence no toll going to NJ). You would save the Verrazano two way toll that would hit you if you started from JFK. Not knowing the car's MPG I would estimate $25 for gas at current prices.