getting an Australian visa

Blazer2

Going to Australia in February. Only thing we need now is the visa. I have gone on line and looked at several sites, with different prices.

Want to get it on line. So, can anyone tell me which site they have used and if it worked out ok. Some even sell at $12, a discount, but............don't know.

Thanks,

Blazer2, Oregon, Usa

Best to use the Official Website mentioned below -

"These ETAs do not attract a visa application charge, however there is a $20 service fee for each ETA applicant.

Note: Your travel agent or airlines can also book your ETA."

And I thought Electronic Travel Authorities were free. Bit rich to charge $20 service fee for such a simple electronic application.

I used Zierer Visa Service. It took all of three minutes and cost $45. It is an ETA so no need to send in your passport or anything.

Sorry, but you paid too much.

The correct cost is $20 Australian. Your travel agent could have done it for you.

I think people get confused thinking it is a Visa. It is an Electronic Travel Authority, which used to be done by travel agents and airlines, which is why a passport is not required.

Thank you for the references to the offical sites for obtaining an Australian visa. I read that the ETA visa information is " accesible by airlines, travel agents and Australian boarder agentcies ".

We will be arriving in Australian by cruise ship, transfering to a different cruise ship and continuing around Austrailia. Will the cruise ships also have access to the ETA information?

To avoid confusion, you MUST have a passport to enter Australia as well as an ETA. A standard tourist visa is valid for 3 months but you are not permitted to work (try telling that to the student backpackers!). Whichever way you obtain your ETA (via a travel agent is quickest and best IMO) there will be a charge for it. If you are asked to pay more than about $20 then query it, if it's less than that check carefully as it may not be legitimate. While we welcome visitors to this great country with open arms, if you don't arrive with the correct documents you can and will be refused entry. I have friends in other parts of the world who look at this policy in awe.... ;)

PS Get your ETA before you leave home?

We just got back from our Rhapsody cruise around Australia. Yes, use the government ETA web site shown above. Yes, get it online now, print the receipt and keep it. When the Aussie officials scan your passport, the ETA shows up on your record.

If your cruise is going to Papua New Guinea, you will also need a visa for PNG, and the cruise line provided ours for $40 each. You MUST have one even if you stay on the ship, and the only US location is in Washington, D.C. By the time you pay for the postage, photo, and fee, it will be the same or more than the ship's charge.

Want to get it on line. So, can anyone tell me which site they have used and if it worked out ok. Some even sell at $12, a discount, but............don't know.
It is not worth $6 to worry about what you're getting from whom, and whether a discount site is a fake or fraudulent site. Giving passport information to a scam site could end up causing grave difficulties. It could lend a new meaning to "penny wise, pound foolish".

Just go to the official Australian government website (the link's already been given) and do it there. Quick, easy, secure - and no worries.

From personal experience, it's easy and fast through the government website. Confirmation came back within an hour. Perhaps the $12 (US) cost was from earlier this year when the Aussie dollar was weaker. In any case, as mentioned, do you really want to send some "ID rich" information to an unknown third party to save $6 ?

The ship or airline taking you to Australia will have your ETA details, and they definitely check for it and your passport before you board. If you are denied entry due to paperwork problems they must return you to your originating point at their expense...so they make *very* sure that won't happen! When we were checking in at LAX my son was fine but they didn't show my ETA. The agent said "No worries, this happens all the time". He also said even if they couldn't find it, he could request a new ETA and get approval. Fortunately after a few minutes of typing he found it.

I probably did pay too much but I have always used visa services and after the ordeals for Brazil and China it alleviates any stress to have them handle it. To me it's worth the extra money.

I can understand your concern and confidence in a familiar visa service company.

I don't think the Government does enough to explain how ETAs came about, how travel agents/airlines used to do it, and how it is not related to Visas.

As a result, I'm sure lots of people get ripped off.

Can Canadians use the ETA system or do we need a Visa?

http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/tourist/976/eligibility.htm

Yes, Canadians can apply for ETAs on line, as per official website. You don't need a visa for short term tourist visits.

Wripro - I stand corrected as ETAs are listed under Visas.

Eligibility

To be eligible to apply for an eVisitor, you must:

be outside Australia

hold an eVisitor eligible passport.

eVisitor Eligible passports

The list below are eligible passports. These are citizen passports issued by the following countries.

Andorra

Austria

Belgium

Bulgaria

Cyprus

Czech Republic

Denmark

Estonia

Finland

France

Germany

Greece

Hungary

Iceland

Ireland

Italy

Latvia

Liechtenstein

Lithuania

Luxembourg

Malta

Monaco

The Netherlands

Norway

Poland

Portugal

Romania

Republic of San Marino

Slovak Republic

Slovenia

Spain

Sweden

Switzerland

United Kingdom - British Citizen

Vatican City

Note: Holders of a British National Overseas (BNO) passport are not eligible to apply for an eVisitor.

From Government Website mentioned below.

Would be interesting to know why eVisitors are free whilst ETAs have a $20 service charge.

Yes, it is free for European. For some reason we charge USA (and probably others).
Would be interesting to know why eVisitors are free whilst ETAs have a $20 service charge.
The standard position in Australian immigration law is that all foreigners require a visa to enter Australia. Historically, the main exception from this was Kiwis.

The ETA system was intended to provide a channel for the issue of an equivalent electronic document to countries which were generally "safe" as far as immigration offences were concerned. This is the $20 system.

eVisitor is an even newer development, which appears to be by some form of agreement with the EEA (hence you see Iceland, Norway and Switzerland on the list). So, in a sense, it's a subset of a subset. I imagine that because Australians can enter Schengenland without a visa, and the requirement imposed by Australia is out of line with normal practice between "Western" countries, the EEA twisted Australia's arm about cost to minimise the impact of the Australian requirement.

Schengenland has quite a powerful collective weapon to wield in this respect. If you're a non-European country, you really want to do everything you can to avoid getting onto the Schengen visa list.

My TA told me that the cruise line will take care of our visa in Australia and not have to worry about getting one.
Some cruise lines will do this for their passengers. But how far would you trust your TA? What if your TA has got it wrong? Can you verify this directly with the cruise line?

It's always great if someone else is going to do this for you, but you always have to ask yourself this question: What if you turn up at check-in and find that it's not been done?

Personally, I have a motto for these things: If I want to make sure it's been done, I do it myself. I really can afford five minutes of my time and A$20, even if in theory I could have got someone else to do it.

I have read numerous posts on here that Princess does organise the visa for you. I don't remember what they charge but from memory it was included as an extra in your cruise price. I think you could organise it yourself and tell them not to do it. Search around the boards and you are bound to find a recent experience.

Archived