Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > Australia & New Zealand

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old November 7th, 2009, 03:19 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default getting an Australian visa

Going to Australia in February. Only thing we need now is the visa. I have gone on line and looked at several sites, with different prices.

Want to get it on line. So, can anyone tell me which site they have used and if it worked out ok. Some even sell at $12, a discount, but............don't know.

Thanks,

Blazer2, Oregon, Usa

Old November 7th, 2009, 04:03 PM
Cool Cruiser

We used the official site at http://www.eta.immi.gov.au/. It worked fine. The process is quick and easy.

Old November 7th, 2009, 04:06 PM
Cool Cruiser

Don't you only need and ETA? (which means no stamp and you do not need to take send your passport anywhere).
http://www.immi.gov.au/e_visa/visitors.htm . This is our government site with details and you can apply online - the cost is $A20 through them.

Old November 7th, 2009, 05:54 PM
5,000+ Club

Default ETA not Visa

Best to use the Official Website mentioned below -

"These ETAs do not attract a visa application charge, however there is a $20 service fee for each ETA applicant.
Note: Your travel agent or airlines can also book your ETA."

And I thought Electronic Travel Authorities were free. Bit rich to charge $20 service fee for such a simple electronic application.

Princess - Ocean Princess - 2012 - Singapore to Sydney
Fred Olsen Black Watch - 2012 - The Baltic, with Norway. Dover to St. Petersburg, via Kiel Canal.
Celebrity Century - 2011 - Auckland to Sydney

CTMA Vacancier - 2011 - Montreal to Magdalen Islands. Amtrak - Toronto to New York
MSC - Poesia - 2010 - Kiel, Germany to NY. Amtrak NY to Niagara Falls, VIA Rail Toronto to Vancouver
MSC - Lirica - 2008 - Genoa, Italy to Fort Lauderdale
Royal Caribbean - Rhapsody of the Seas - 2007 - Honolulu to Sydney
Rivers of Holland Cruise - 2003 - to Amsterdam
Alaskan Marine Highway - 2003 - to most Alaskan ports of call
Star Cruises - Superstar Leo - 2003 - Sydney to Darwin
Norwegian Coastal Voyage - Naruik - 2002 - Bergen to Kirkenes
Angelina Lauro - 1971 - Sydney to Perth. Indian Pacific - Perth to Sydney (Put me off cruising for 30 years!)

P & O - Chusan - 1970 - London to Brisbane, via Africa, India and Sri Lanka (Suez closed).
Chandris Lines - Queen Frederica - 1969 - Sydney to London, via Panama, New York and Rotterdam

Old November 7th, 2009, 07:53 PM
10,000+ Club

I used Zierer Visa Service. It took all of three minutes and cost $45. It is an ETA so no need to send in your passport or anything.

Ad Sponsored By
Old November 7th, 2009, 08:07 PM
5,000+ Club

Default ETA not Visa

Quote:
Originally Posted by wripro View Post
I used Zierer Visa Service. It took all of three minutes and cost $45. It is an ETA so no need to send in your passport or anything.
Sorry, but you paid too much.

The correct cost is $20 Australian. Your travel agent could have done it for you.

I think people get confused thinking it is a Visa. It is an Electronic Travel Authority, which used to be done by travel agents and airlines, which is why a passport is not required.

Fred Olsen Black Watch - 2012 - The Baltic, with Norway. Dover to St. Petersburg, via Kiel Canal.

CTMA Vacancier - 2011 - Montreal to Magdalen Islands. Amtrak - Toronto to New York
MSC - Poesia - 2010 - Kiel, Germany to NY. Amtrak NY to Niagara Falls, VIA Rail Toronto to Vancouver
Angelina Lauro - 1971 - Sydney to Perth. Indian Pacific - Perth to Sydney (Put me off cruising for 30 years!)

P & O - Chusan - 1970 - London to Brisbane, via Africa, India and Sri Lanka (Suez closed).
Chandris Lines - Queen Frederica - 1969 - Sydney to London, via Panama, New York and Rotterdam

Old November 7th, 2009, 08:12 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Getting an Australian visa

Thank you for the references to the offical sites for obtaining an Australian visa. I read that the ETA visa information is " accesible by airlines, travel agents and Australian boarder agentcies ".

We will be arriving in Australian by cruise ship, transfering to a different cruise ship and continuing around Austrailia. Will the cruise ships also have access to the ETA information?

Old November 7th, 2009, 08:24 PM
Cool Cruiser

To avoid confusion, you MUST have a passport to enter Australia as well as an ETA. A standard tourist visa is valid for 3 months but you are not permitted to work (try telling that to the student backpackers!). Whichever way you obtain your ETA (via a travel agent is quickest and best IMO) there will be a charge for it. If you are asked to pay more than about $20 then query it, if it's less than that check carefully as it may not be legitimate. While we welcome visitors to this great country with open arms, if you don't arrive with the correct documents you can and will be refused entry. I have friends in other parts of the world who look at this policy in awe....

PS Get your ETA before you leave home?

Last edited by room010; November 7th, 2009 at 08:26 PM.

Old November 8th, 2009, 02:42 AM
10,000+ Club

We just got back from our Rhapsody cruise around Australia. Yes, use the government ETA web site shown above. Yes, get it online now, print the receipt and keep it. When the Aussie officials scan your passport, the ETA shows up on your record.

If your cruise is going to Papua New Guinea, you will also need a visa for PNG, and the cruise line provided ours for $40 each. You MUST have one even if you stay on the ship, and the only US location is in Washington, D.C. By the time you pay for the postage, photo, and fee, it will be the same or more than the ship's charge.

Jewel Southern Caribbean, and then b2b with the family on the Adventure 12/14. Then, the Equinox and Allure in 2015. Yay!!.

My avatar: Sun Viking circa 1974

Old November 9th, 2009, 09:03 AM
20,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazer2 View Post
Want to get it on line. So, can anyone tell me which site they have used and if it worked out ok. Some even sell at $12, a discount, but............don't know.
It is not worth $6 to worry about what you're getting from whom, and whether a discount site is a fake or fraudulent site. Giving passport information to a scam site could end up causing grave difficulties. It could lend a new meaning to "penny wise, pound foolish".

Just go to the official Australian government website (the link's already been given) and do it there. Quick, easy, secure - and no worries.

“Cruise” review – ss Rotterdam (V), June 2013.

Dual-purpose HOHO buses available in London: functioning simultaneously as tourist traps and roadblocks.

Fascinating Aida tell us of the perils of Cheap Flights.

Netiquette: Have you watched this: Posting and you ...? And do you know How to Behave on an Internet Forum?
Thinking of starting a new thread? Have you searched for your answer already? Can you post to an existing thread?
Countdown clocks: How to set one up? Click here.
Princess Cruises ship designators - the current list here.
_

Old November 9th, 2009, 09:04 AM
20,000+ Club

Quote:
I used Zierer Visa Service. It took all of three minutes and cost $45.
Even if that was $45 for two people, you have paid too much! On the official government website it's only about $18.50 per person at the moment.

“Cruise” review – ss Rotterdam (V), June 2013.

Dual-purpose HOHO buses available in London: functioning simultaneously as tourist traps and roadblocks.

Fascinating Aida tell us of the perils of Cheap Flights.

Netiquette: Have you watched this: Posting and you ...? And do you know How to Behave on an Internet Forum?
Thinking of starting a new thread? Have you searched for your answer already? Can you post to an existing thread?
Countdown clocks: How to set one up? Click here.
Princess Cruises ship designators - the current list here.
_

Old November 9th, 2009, 01:52 PM
5,000+ Club

From personal experience, it's easy and fast through the government website. Confirmation came back within an hour. Perhaps the $12 (US) cost was from earlier this year when the Aussie dollar was weaker. In any case, as mentioned, do you really want to send some "ID rich" information to an unknown third party to save $6 ?

The ship or airline taking you to Australia will have your ETA details, and they definitely check for it and your passport before you board. If you are denied entry due to paperwork problems they must return you to your originating point at their expense...so they make *very* sure that won't happen! When we were checking in at LAX my son was fine but they didn't show my ETA. The agent said "No worries, this happens all the time". He also said even if they couldn't find it, he could request a new ETA and get approval. Fortunately after a few minutes of typing he found it.
Carnival Paradise, Baja- January 2007
HAL Zaandam, Alaska- July 2008
HAL Oosterdam, Sea of Cortez- April 2010
X Summit, Southern Caribbean Part 1- November 2012
X Summit, Southern Caribbean Part 2- November 2013

Old November 9th, 2009, 02:02 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Thank you everyone

I appreciate everyone's input. We definitely will go with the official government site.

Blazer

Old November 9th, 2009, 02:06 PM
10,000+ Club

I probably did pay too much but I have always used visa services and after the ordeals for Brazil and China it alleviates any stress to have them handle it. To me it's worth the extra money.

Old November 9th, 2009, 02:21 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
I probably did pay too much but I have always used visa services and after the ordeals for Brazil and China it alleviates any stress to have them handle it. To me it's worth the extra money.
I can understand your concern and confidence in a familiar visa service company.

I don't think the Government does enough to explain how ETAs came about, how travel agents/airlines used to do it, and how it is not related to Visas.

As a result, I'm sure lots of people get ripped off.

Old November 9th, 2009, 05:21 PM
Cool Cruiser

Can Canadians use the ETA system or do we need a Visa?
Adventure of Seas Southern Caribbean March /07
Jewel of Seas-12 Nt Northern Europe-Sept 2007
Radiance of Seas-14 Nt Ultimate Alaska
Rhapsody Seas-17 Nt Circumvention Australia February 2010
Adventure Seas March 2011
Navigator Seas March 2012
Explorer of Seas Sept 2013
Radiance of Seas 13 Nt New Zealand
Radiance of Seas 18 Nt Trans Pacific Sydney to Honolulu
Radiance of Seas 12 Nt Hawaii to Vancouver
Legend of Seas-10 Nt Canada Cruise -October 2014
Booked cruises
Legend of Seas-10 NT southern Caribbean Feb 2015
Serenade of Seas-15 Nt North Atlantic April 2015
Serenade of Seas-7 Nt Norwegian fjords- May 2015
Serenade of Seas--7 Nt Scandinavia & Russia May 2015

Old November 9th, 2009, 05:26 PM
Cool Cruiser

Our TA is doing this and paying for this as part of our Bon Voyage gift!! Sweet....
Lynda

Old November 9th, 2009, 06:02 PM
5,000+ Club

Default Canadians - ETAs

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottagemama View Post
Can Canadians use the ETA system or do we need a Visa?
http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/tour...ligibility.htm

Yes, Canadians can apply for ETAs on line, as per official website. You don't need a visa for short term tourist visits.

Wripro - I stand corrected as ETAs are listed under Visas.

Last edited by MMDown Under; November 9th, 2009 at 06:02 PM.

Old November 9th, 2009, 06:37 PM
Cool Cruiser

Getting a visa for Australia, apply on line for a free EVisitor visa which is available for tourist purposes.. This free visa is available to all European countries.

Old November 10th, 2009, 02:22 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Yes, it is free for European. For some reason we charge USA (and probably others). I was telling my mother in law she had to get the ETA and it would cost $20AUD and then discovered that it was free for her.

Email me
Some of my Travel Photos

Pacific Sky - P236B - 5 December 2002
Pacific Sky - P421 - 6 July 2004
Pacific Star - R603 - 19 January 2006
Pacific Sun - N605 - 5 February 2006
Summit Southbound Alaska - 27 May 2006
Pacific Star - R635 - 25 October 2006
Mercury - Mexican Riviera - 6 April 2007
Pacific Sun - N722 - 15 July 2007
Mercury - New Zealand/Australia - 6 January 2008
Volendam - New Zealand/Australia - 19 December 2008