Luxury line/ship with informal dress code?

OctoberKat

Would like to voyage on a luxury ship with larger suites but as a couple we are not prone to dressing up and would rather not have to pack a great deal. So even "casual elegance" and "country-club casual" don't appeal. This is not a budget issue, rather one of comfort and preference. Any recommendations?

Expedition Luxury ships tend not to have larger suites so they are out.

Azamara isn't as top-flight as I'd like but they do offer a few larger suites and we have booked two cruises. Other options?

I am not sure Azamara is as casual as you are looking for

not many luxury lines or premium lines will meet all your wants

If you like Azamara you may like Oceania's newer ships

Most will have some dress code for evenings or smaller cabins

Seadream is more casual I believe

Enjoy

Not sure why you are opposed to elegant casual. We sailed two weeks on Windstar's Wind Surf and chinos and polos were fine for men, women wore slacks and blouses, casual dresses, that sort of thing. Jeans and shorts are a no-no in the evening, but chinos take no more room than jeans, and you can wear them a few times.

We were gone three weeks, two on the ship, and traveled with only 20" roll on suitcases and a "small personal item" each. We took the laundry package, which was well worth it at $100 for the week for all the laundry you wanted to send out.

Suits, ties, jackets, none of that was ever needed, and would have been out of place.

If you are looking for jeans and t-shirts casual, you aren't going to find that on ANY luxury line.

Take a look in my signature for what I packed, and to be honest I could have left 1/3 of it home and still been fine.

I am not sure Azamara is as casual as you are looking for

not many luxury lines or premium lines will meet all your wants

If you like Azamara you may like Oceania's newer ships

Most will have some dress code for evenings or smaller cabins

Seadream is more casual I believe

Enjoy

SeaDream is resort/yacht casual. So similar to the others, slacks and collared shirts for men in the evening, slacks or skirt and blouse or casual dress for ladies.

SeaDream is resort/yacht casual. So similar to the others, slacks and collared shirts for men in the evening, slacks or skirt and blouse or casual dress for ladies.

Not really sure what the OP is really looking for

to me a polo shirt & chino's or dockers would be fine but maybe they are looking for shorts & T's type cruises

Maybe a land resort is a better option ;)

Not really sure what the OP is really looking for

to me a polo shirt & chino's or dockers would be fine but maybe they are looking for shorts & T's type cruises

Maybe a land resort is a better option ;)

Agree, although the upscale resorts also have dress codes.

My husband love his jeans/shorts and t-shirts, but has no problem putting on chinos and a polo and says they are just as comfortable.

Agree, although the upscale resorts also have dress codes.

My husband love his jeans/shorts and t-shirts, but has no problem putting on chinos and a polo and says they are just as comfortable.

We have no problem with Country club casual

• 2 weeks later...

If not country club casual or casual elegance, I'm not sure what it is they wish to wear to dinner? On most ships, khakis and a polo jersey or sports shirt will take a gentleman to dinner. How much more casual?

Thank you. Khakis and good shirts work well for the spouse; he's almost always cold so long sleeves are de rigueur in the main. We have plenty of Tommy Bahamas. And, I can gussy myself up sufficiently and even add some jewelry if need be. Which begs the question as to ethos, ambiance and so on. Adore light-hearted folk who dress to the nines; adore those who don't as well.

Expect I should add our first ever cruise is in January on Regent; our second in Nov. 2015 on Silverseas, and our third on Azamara in August 2016. So far.

Edited by OctoberKat

My husband and I also prefer a very casual dress code. Our next cruise will be either on a premium plus or luxury line. Our decision is to eat dinner in our suite on the nights that we do not want to conform to a dress code.

Thank you, wripro. Good suggestion. We've considered that line but, given the spouse's delicate tummy, their ships are too small. Shooting for ships in the 400-700 passenger range.

I'm beginning to feel high maintenance.

We have booked cruises on Regent (Western Caribbean, Navigator, Jan 2015), Silverseas (Barbados-Amazon-Barbados, Whisper, Nov 2015) and Azamara (Norwegian Fjords, Quest, August 2016).

As another poster here mentioned, there are ways to avoid the folderol for formal dining by eating on one's veranda and that doesn't sound half bad.

• 3 weeks later...
Thank you, wripro. Good suggestion. We've considered that line but, given the spouse's delicate tummy, their ships are too small. Shooting for ships in the 400-700 passenger range.

I'm beginning to feel high maintenance.

We have booked cruises on Regent (Western Caribbean, Navigator, Jan 2015), Silverseas (Barbados-Amazon-Barbados, Whisper, Nov 2015) and Azamara (Norwegian Fjords, Quest, August 2016).

As another poster here mentioned, there are ways to avoid the folderol for formal dining by eating on one's veranda and that doesn't sound half bad.

Keep in mind that on the open sea, the wind can be far too strong to enjoy a meal on a balcony.

• 2 weeks later...

I was going to suggest Un-Cruise, one of my favorite lines, and get the top suite, until you said you wanted 400-700 pax. These cruises can cost more than RSSC but jeans are *required* (tongue in cheek). It's like a Patagonia/Northface convention. Don't know where you wanted to cruise either, but they go to Alaska, Mexico, Hawaii, and Galapagos. I love not having to dress up on them!