Taxi from Amsterdam Airport to Grand Circle Boat

Jane361

Make sure you know the exact place where the ship will be docked as there are a few options.

A cab from the airport to the area around Centraal station will be E. 50.- more or less.

Depending on the amount of luggage you have and your budget, you may want to take the train direct from Schiphol to Centraal. The train station is underneath the shopping plaza - there is frequent service and the price is significantly less than a taxi.

One more option for you to consider.

Before you take a taxi or train check with the Grand Circle person in the airport that is coordinating those with transfers. It is quite possible that they will take you on their bus only costing you a nice tip.

Ken31VA, you are absolutely right...good advice. We did just that two years ago with Scenic Cruise at the Amsterdam Airport and got a free bus transfer to the ship. When you exit, after customs and immigration, into the meeting passengers area, just look for GC sign, and if they are there to pick up other passengers, ask if you can join them to go to the ship. If they have the space in the van or the bus, they will take you. Good luck!

I recently received an email from GC saying that transfers would be provided to the ship for $100 per person per transfer.

So I don't think free transfers are likely to be available at the airport....

But then I think GC's charge of $100 per person is to pay for a local agent to drive out to the airport to meet you even if you are travelling alone and for arrival anytime of the day or night. They would have to stay there waiting for you even if your plane is late. But, if they are there already meeting some other paid passengers, they may accommodate you as well, and like Ken31VA suggested, maybe a good tip would do the trick...also they know exactly where is the ship is! In our case, we consider that as a very impressive PR touch for the Scenic Cruise.

No harm giving it a try if you see their sign. If they are there, you will see them before the taxis stand anyway!

• 1 month later...
Would you recommend a grand circle riverboat cruise? Looking into our first riverboat cruise. Thanks!

Yes, we have just returned and had a wonderful time. This was our second GCT river cruise. Do you have any specific questions?

BTW, There were no GCT reps at the Amsterdam airport so we took a taxi to the boat for 65 Euros.

• 8 months later...
We are taking a GC river cruise in March and will probably take a taxi from the Amsterdam airport to the GC boat dock. How much will a taxi cost for 2 persons? Thank you.

Jane

We too would like this information but our trip ends in Amsterdam on August 7, the MS River Adagio.

Yikes! Those taxi rates are steep. We recently returned from an AMA river cruise, and upon arrival at Schiphol, we purchased two one-way train tickets to take us to Centraal Station in Amsterdam. Converting EU's to US$, the prices was less than $10 for the two of us. From the station, we walked to the waterfront, handed off our luggage to the crew and boarded the AMACello.

On prior trips to Amsterdam, we used the train to and from the airport.

When we got to Basel, we shared a cab [AMA will arrange cabs] with another couple - total price was 37 EU's for the 4 of us to the main train station.

Darcy

When we took the GCT tulips tour last year, we checked on transfers w/GCT, and they told us that if we arrived at their usual pick-up time window, they would provide the transfers at no charge (same for return flights), on a space available basis. This worked out fine w/us, as the buses they use are quite large. I would call them and verify if this policy is still followed.

I have taken 6 GCT river cruises in Europe. On each of them I used GCT air arrangements from LAX to arrival cities of Amsterdam, Brussels, Vienna, Budapest, and Munich. Transfers from airport to ship were always included and that was much easier than trying to find taxi or train arrangements. The GCT representative was always there to meet the plane and collect the luggage after we got out of customs.

I found that GCT always gave me the best, most direct routing from Los Angeles to Europe and usually would use the airlines that I requested. I was always happy with their arrangements.

Check the price for the Connexxion Shuttle to the ship.

When we were there we took the shuttle from the airport to our hotel.

As far as I know Connexxion transfers to many hotels, but very likely not to the docks as there are a few different places for docking.

• 1 month later...

Anyone on this thread have advise for getting from the airport to the ship on the Christmas Market cruise on the Danube Dec 15th? We cannot use their flights as we have to stop in a small city in England on the way home.

Also any advise on how much walking is involved in the towns on the route. We use scooters for long walks and the river cruise companies do not allow them on the ships, even though I explained that we would not need to use them onboard. Thanks. M.

We have taken 6 Grand Circle cruises, 2 of which were on the Danube, but none of them were Christmas cruises, but here are some alternatives. 1) Grand Circle will do custom routings for a service fee and the difference in ticket price. 2) Grand Circle will, for a fee, provide transfers to and from the airport for those doing their own air. 3) My wife has used an electric scooter in the past, and one would not be practical for these trips. Getting one up and down the gangway would be quite cumbersome, with some ports being much more difficult than others. Also, the cabins don't really have enough space to store them, and there is no convenient storage space elsewhere. What she did for the cruises we took when she was using the scooter was to use a 4 wheel folding walker with brakes and a seat. She was able to participate in all activities with minimal assistance. Here is a link to the item on the Invacare site:http://www.invacare.com/cgi-bin/imhqprd/inv_catalog/prod_cat_detail.jsp?s=0&prodID=68100&catOID=-536885247 Hers has 4" wheeels, this has 8" wheels, which is much more practical for cobble stoned streets. This type of walker, or rollator collapses very well, and you could easily get 2 of them into the trunk of a car. We have actually taken it in the overhead bins on an airplane.

We would be glad to answer any other questions.

Archived