Typical TA discount???

RAPM5856

I know the board rules prevent recommending TA's, but I was wondering how good of a deal mine typically gets me. I usually get a 12-15% discount off Princess' price, plus some OBC - usually $60-$90/cabin

What % discount (and OBC) does your TA typically get for you?

The discount I get is dependent on a number of factors: cabin category, cruise length, when I book, etc. The earlier I book, the better the discount. I don't think I could give an average since I'd have to check Princess pricing just before sailing and often, the ship is sold out which makes that difficult.

In general, I get between 10-20%, depending on category, when I book and cruise length.

Does anyone know how TAs are able to offer such large discounts when the average commission is 10-15% of the commissionable part of the fare? It sounds like they are working for free. I do understand that they are able to get OBC and other perks by booking groups, but the discount doesn't make sense to me. Please someone explain.

Does anyone know how TAs are able to offer such large discounts when the average commission is 10-15% of the commissionable part of the fare? It sounds like they are working for free. I do understand that they are able to get OBC and other perks by booking groups, but the discount doesn't make sense to me. Please someone explain.

I think some Travel Agents only make $20-$50 per booking at times.

As far as if someone says they are getting 20% discount, it is probably because the TA was able to get group space lower then the individual rate when they grabbed the space. Sometimes Princess offers this on select sailings. Otherwise, they are comparing prices to what they are now vs what they were when they booked or vice versa. For example - the TA grabbed group space when the price was low and the passenger books into group space and the current Princess price had gone up quite a bit. For example, the 50th Anniversary sailing on Pacific Princess - I know my agent grabbed group space right away and prices went up after the first day. She was able to provide group space for a month or two (until they took it away) that was significantly cheaper than what Princess was offering because the price had gone up so much.

You are right, Princess usually offers 15% commission and some agents need to pay their parent agency a small percentage.

Edited by Coral

I think some Travel Agents only make $20-$50 per booking at times.

As far as if someone says they are getting 20% discount, it is probably because the TA was able to get group space lower then the individual rate when they grabbed the space. Sometimes Princess offers this on select sailings. Otherwise, they are comparing prices to what they are now vs what they were when they booked or vice versa. For example - the TA grabbed group space when the price was low and the passenger books into group space and the current Princess price had gone up quite a bit. For example, the 50th Anniversary sailing on Pacific Princess - I know my agent grabbed group space right away and prices went up after the first day. She was able to provide group space for a month or two (until they took it away) that was significantly cheaper than what Princess was offering because the price had gone up so much.

You are right, Princess usually offers 15% commission and some agents need to pay their parent agency a small percentage.

Correct !

We also get in the 12 to 15% range.

Keep in mind that this is not necessarily "typical". Each TA sets their own prices. Some claim to be discount, but charge the same price as Princess and give no perks beyond what Princess might be offering.

We also get in the 12 to 15% range.

Keep in mind that this is not necessarily "typical". Each TA sets their own prices. Some claim to be discount, but charge the same price as Princess and give no perks beyond what Princess might be offering.

I agree...

We usually get about a 12% discount from our TA...sometimes a bit more. However, I would wager these levels come from a handful of TAs. When discussing TAs with others onboard, it seems the same ones are usually mentioned.

The discount offered by most TAs will not come close to 12%.

Lew

Most TAs don't discount. It's a misconception that you get the best pricing from the large online agencies. That's not necessarily true and you need to weigh discount vs. service. To me, the most important things to take into consideration when using a TA is your comfort level and trust.

Another time where it may seem like a very large percentage of a discount is when Princess gives Travel Agents "Flash specials". These are different than the last minute specials that Princess sends out to targeted people. These rates only Travel Agents receive and they can seem quite a bit discounted compared to the rates that Princess quotes people or people see when they login to Princess.com.

Edited by Coral

Most TAs don't discount. It's a misconception that you get the best pricing from the large online agencies. That's not necessarily true and you need to weigh discount vs. service. To me, the most important things to take into consideration when using a TA is your comfort level and trust.

But a lot of the time you do get the best pricing from a large online TA. I have used one for years and tried twice lately to use a TA known by many on CC only to be told she could not match the pricing of my agency.

Granted they may not give the personalized service but I do most of the work myself in exchange for a lower price.

Mike:)

Very well stated Pam.

I saw one online big cruise agency that was actually charging $500 +/- more for a cruise recently than the cruise line was offering, but all the freebies were included...oh wait add it all up and paying the agency would have been more than the cruise line directly. Crazy to see that but it does happen.

The big discounts are only when the agency has group space at lower rates than the line is currently selling the cabins directly.

Princess has a sliding scale for commission as do other lines and the 15% quoted is only for the busiest agencies.

But a lot of the time you do get the best pricing from a large online TA. I have used one for years and tried twice lately to use a TA known by many on CC only to be told she could not match the pricing of my agency.

Granted they may not give the personalized service but I do most of the work myself in exchange for a lower price.

I use a popular agent on CC. She may not always be the lowest but provides a pretty good discount and I know will be there if there are any problems. I really want her expertise as an agent and it is a bonus that she also provides a very good price. So price is not the only factor that keeps me coming back. If something goes wrong--- I know she will have my back. Everyone has different priorities. Use who you are most comfortable with.

I use a popular agent on CC. She may not always be the lowest but provides a pretty good discount and I know will be there if there are any problems. I really want her expertise as an agent and it is a bonus that she also provides a very good price. So price is not the only factor that keeps me coming back. If something goes wrong--- I know she will have my back. Everyone has different priorities. Use who you are most comfortable with.

Exactly my point.

I don't need a whole lot of service and am very adept at arranging most of the details of my travel in exchange for a lower price.

Go with what you are comfortable with.

Unlike most of you, we get no discount and not always OBC. We choose our own cruises. I'm happy with our TA. I might wish for a discount, etc., but we are content to have some one who knows us and is on top of cruise line reductions.

Unlike most of you, we get no discount and not always OBC. We choose our own cruises. I'm happy with our TA. I might wish for a discount, etc., but we are content to have some one who knows us and is on top of cruise line reductions.

As long as you are happy and comfortable with you TA. That is what matters.

My TA definitely has a take-no-prisoners 'tude, but even she has never chosen my cruises for me! Although for the decisionally-challenged, I could see that being a cool perk.

I know the board rules prevent recommending TA's, but I was wondering how good of a deal mine typically gets me. I usually get a 12-15% discount off Princess' price, plus some OBC - usually $60-$90/cabin

What % discount (and OBC) does your TA typically get for you?

From which price (commissionable, base plus port charges, total price including tax,) is the discount based?

From which price (commissionable, base plus port charges, total price including tax,) is the discount based?

Port charges and taxes are non-negotiable, so I'm talking about discount from

Princess' website price for me as a past passenger.

This is the discount based on the price you would pay as a past passenger or on the brochure price?

I can't speak for other posters, but I am comparing the current price on Princess.com for a past passenger to the quote from my TA. I usually save 12 to 15 Percent with the TA