Do u buy cruise insurance? OOPS!!

maryhou

We make a conscious and informed choice to self-insure the cost of the cruise and purchase insurance for medical, medical evacuation, trip interruption, etc. We could take a hit for cancelling any one cruise and still come out way ahead financially. Perhaps if you do the math you would find this one individual monetary loss not so severe when looking at the big picture. It's a calculated risk, sometimes you win and sometimes you lose.

The question is "what will you decide in the future?" What is your risk tolerance? My only advice is to do the analysis and be willing to live with the outcome of your decisions, whatever they are.

Sorry to hear about the kiddo. Good news that it isn't broken. One thing about ACLs, MCLs, LCLs, is that it may not require immediate fixing. I've got a good friend who just got her ACL fixed 2 weeks ago after going with it blown for awhile and didn't know it (she really was doing the surgery for a newly broken patella, but the ortho saw the ACL during an MRI so she got a 2-for-1 surgery). I know some others around here (lots of skiers) who went a year before getting it fixed.

Talk to a good ortho about this. Don't cancel yet...

We cruise in 42 days and my daughter had potentially broken her leg last night playing soccer. Good news is xray says no break but she is off for a mri for a torn acl....... I never buy the freaking insurance :(

And your point is???

In any case, if you do decide to do the right thing and get whatever additional insurance is needed for this upcoming trip, realize that your kid will have a "pre-existing condition" because the problem occurred during the "look back" period. If she has a related problem while on the cruise and it requires medical attention, you are SOL for coverage from that policy.

First and foremost, I hope your daughter makes a full recovery.

While the loss of the voyage fare can be a heavy hit, the huge expense that one can encounter on a cruise is hospitalization in a foreign country or medical evacuation - especially if a helicopter is involved.

Some always take travel insurance because they want to be covered if the "if" happens. Others make the calculation and decide to self insure. It depends on your finances and comfort level for risk.

The problem however arises when somebody who didn't buy insurance has something terrible happen and they have to cancel during the penalty phase. We then get a rant on how heartless is the evil, greedy cruise line and why won't it have some compassion and give them a free do-over.

Edited by BlueRiband

We always purchase (Travel Guard) insurance. Are you considering still taking the cruise, if your daughter is cleared to go? Two companies serve Carnival for mobility equipment rental if needed- knee walkers, wheelchairs, scooters, etc.

Special Needs at Sea (800) 513-4515. specialneedsatsea.com

Carevacations, now a part of the Scootaround Int'l Network (888) 441-7575.

scootaround.com

If you booked your cruise on a credit card that offers travel insurance, you can make a claim if you are unable to go.

We have a Chase explorer card which costs us $100 a year. recently 3 members of our family had to cancel and we received a total refund for their fares.

Many airline mileage cards have up to $10,000 in travel insurance.

We have a separate yearly medical policy from Geo Blue.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Viv0828

Are you still going on your cruise? Is she going? Was she going to go with you, or do you not want to leave her now?

Anyway, yes we always buy insurance and out of all those times, we had a claim once. It's like any other kind of insurance - car, house, fire, life, trip - I mean you hope you never need it but when you do, hopefully everything is covered.

If you booked your cruise on a credit card that offers travel insurance, you can make a claim if you are unable to go.

We have a Chase explorer card which costs us $100 a year. recently 3 members of our family had to cancel and we received a total refund for their fares.

Credit card travel insurance is part of our overall insurance strategy, which also includes a primary payer comprehensive travel policy and a Medicare supplement that converts to basic coverage the minute you leave the US. Yes, it could be considered a bit of overkill. However, the main issue with credit card insurance is that there are no waivers of pre-existing conditions. So, if your cancellation/interruption was due to a medical reason that involved a first appearance or significant change to a chronic condition during the "look back" period preceding your cruise deposit, your claim will be denied. Thus, we treat the credit card insurance as a supplement that may plug a few holes in the comprehensive travel policy. Of course, it only covers things paid for with that card. Likewise, the comprehensive policy fills empty spaces in the medical coverage provided by the Medicare supplement.

Only out-of-pocket cost is the comprehensive travel policy (at approximately 10% of the cruise cost).

We always purchase (Travel Guard) insurance. Are you considering still taking the cruise, if your daughter is cleared to go? Two companies serve Carnival for mobility equipment rental if needed- knee walkers, wheelchairs, scooters, etc.

Special Needs at Sea (800) 513-4515. specialneedsatsea.com

Carevacations, now a part of the Scootaround Int'l Network (888) 441-7575.

scootaround.com

I know that you are trying to be helpful but most cruise ship cabins cannot accommodate a scooter. Getting through the door is 10% of the problem. Where to park it once inside is the other 90%. Unless the OP has some premium class cabin it's going to block the way to the bathroom, bed, or balcony. Scooters must be charged in the cabin and cannot be left out near elevators or other public areas. No mass market cruise line will store passenger scooters.

Edited by BlueRiband

I know that you are trying to be helpful but most cruise ship cabins cannot accommodate a scooter. Getting through the door is 10% of the problem. Where to park it once inside is the other 90%. Unless the OP has some premium class cabin it's going to block the way to the bathroom, bed, or balcony. Scooters must be charged in the cabin and cannot be left out near elevators or other public areas. No mass market cruise line will store passenger scooters.

BUT! Most wheelchairs fold up are easier to store when not in use, plus do not need recharged!! So that could be a better alternative if she is not permitted to walk.

However, the main issue with credit card insurance is that there are no waivers of pre-existing conditions. So, if your cancellation/interruption was due to a medical reason that involved a first appearance or significant change to a chronic condition during the "look back" period preceding your cruise deposit, your claim will be denied.

We rely on CC for cancellation even though DH has minor chronic conditions. Meds controlling the conditions haven't changed in years...so there is never a significant change in condition. Also, we view the credit card cancellation benenfits as just a possible recovery for a loss, since we are willing to underwrite the potential loss on our own. I wouldn't count on it for cancellation due to the death of an older sickly relative...

We have never bought Travel Insurance, we insure our own trip. We do buy health insurance... found a package for business Travelers through Travel Guard... it is an annual policy... costs about $500 for the year... cover us up to certain amounts for medical - emergency evacuation...and a few trip related expenses. We are 70 and 83 years of age... so health insurance is the biggie.

We have cruised and travelled for past 30 years,,, never needed any insurance luckily.

The person who posted that credit card insurance does not cover pre existing conditions is correct. However, it sounds like the daughter's potential broken leg occurred after the cruise was booked so it would be covered.

Our granddaughter had a ruptured appendix 3 weeks before our cruise and was unable to go. Our credit card insurance reimbursed us for her and her parent's fares since they needed to stay home and care for her.

Edited by Viv0828

For me it depends. I started cruising a long time ago when getting insurance wasn't something that one really thought about or did.

Over the years things have changed. As Elite I get the basic protection for free. Great. I, of course, always take that. Next there is the upgrade. So here is what I do. Depending on where we are going and who is going I make my decision. If I were going to the Med I would get the max one through the cruise line. Admittedly I have never got a more intense one.

Next year my DH and four grandchildren are cruising to Alaska. For the most part we are covered by our regular insurance. We are not covered for air lifting so hope we don't need it. So we are trusting that nothing will go wrong until we are on land.

If we can't go, well then we can't go. My bad. Would I ever EVER call Princess and say "hey you owe me money or change me to a different date". No! It would never ever cross my mind.

Thank you, BlueRiband. I realize that most cabins cannot accommodate a scooter, but thought I'd wait for more info from the OP before discussing further. Chances are that the daughter is fairly young and a scooter wouldn't be considered. It is possible that an accessible cabin can become available close to sailing- if there is a cancellation, or someone is booked into one that doesn't require it.

Yes I buy cruise insurance. Not sure what it would cover for a torn ACL except visits to the doctor onboard ship which she should not need if she is careful.

I would look into a plan b which includes buying a traveling wheelchair. Sure it will not be as much fun, but life happens.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

I will have to call about this tomorrow. We used our Southwest Airlines card which is through Chase.............

I will have to call about this tomorrow. We used our Southwest Airlines card which is through Chase.............

I didn't see cancellation listed as a travel benefit when I did a search. The United Explorer and Sapphire's do have the benefit (limited to the trip expenses charged on the card). Citi's AA card does also (if entire trip is charged on the card).

Thank you, BlueRiband. I realize that most cabins cannot accommodate a scooter, but thought I'd wait for more info from the OP before discussing further. Chances are that the daughter is fairly young and a scooter wouldn't be considered. It is possible that an accessible cabin can become available close to sailing- if there is a cancellation, or someone is booked into one that doesn't require it.

I was able to get an accessible cabin just before our cruise when I broke my foot three weeks before the cruise. I did use a scooter so having the cabin made it much easier on not only myself but my husband. I was less dependent on him to push me around. I also was pleasantly surprised that not only was there a cabin available but it was just down the hallway from my son and his family.

Perhaps the OP's daughter will only need crutches and an accessible cabin won't be necessary.

Now is the time to call the cruise line if an accessible cabin is something the OP would like to consider.

Edited by Kmangel