Packing medications

Oakley346

I'm cruising in march on celebrities reflection and would like to know, do I have to bring all my medications in there own bottles or can I put them in a seven day pill box?? I'm very confused on this . I've heard both ways is ok, but I don't want to have any problems! Please advise:confused::confused::confused:

It is always a good idea to pack your medications in their original bottles.

However...there are people who don't and say 'its fine'

Besides...if you are going for 7 days, and only take 7 days worth of pills...what happens if you are delayed returning home? Things happen..you could be delayed for a couple of days.

I would take them in their original bottles, if you have a medical emergency on board, the doctor can see immediately what you take, dosage , etc.

Packing far more than you expect to need is also a must. You never know what emergency may arise, and you could find yourself in a situation where obtaining further supplies because you are delayed is not possible.

I generally take more than what I expect to need, in the original bottles, but also leave some at home in labeled snack-size plastic bags. This cuts down on the weight slightly. It doesn't seem like much, but when you're on 10+ medications, it adds up. And never, never check the bag with your meds.

Kathy

When I travel I bring my pill container and I leave it empty and I bring all my pills in the orginal bottles including gravol and imodium. *Knock on wood Ive never needed the imodium, but better safe then sorry*.

i put them in a vip lock bag and they never even look at them. Then I just fill the pills when i get to my room for the week. simple as that

Always, always, always take all medication in original packaging (or at least the blister packs) and take these pieces of paper/instructions (that no one ever reads).

Not so much for your own benefits, but for customs or quarantine checks.

Especially in Middle Eastern countries, SE Asia and some South American countries, some border officials can be suspicious (or bored) and give you grief.

Perhaps your doctor or pharmacist has "sample packs" of your meds you can get.

Also take copies of any prescriptions, just in case....

Also remember that some countries do prohibit the import of the strangest thins. Stuff we take for granted. For example paracetamol is apparently banned to Thailand. At least according to our company"s travel department.

2 years ago on Equinox, I put my meds in a drawer above the cabin's refrigerator. I quickly discovered the heat from the refrigerator got things quite warm in that drawer. I don't know the affect of the heat on my meds, but I moved them to the bed-side table as a precaution.

I have used a pill carrier, but also carry a copy of the receipt (it is an actual copy of the prescription lable that shows med, dosage, etc. that you get stapled to outside of the bag when you pick-up your meds). However, if carrying a controlled substance, that always goes in its original bottle.

I seem to recall someone mentioning their case accidentally came open and the meds spilled out. Sorting things back into their correct container was a challenge. So, on my last cruise I carried the bottles and the carrier and sorted them into their "days" once onboard.

Of course, please / please / please - transport your meds in your carryon bags / purse - something you will not let leave your side - ever. I can't tell you the number of times I have been onboard and heard people at Guest Services upset about their baggage that "has our medications in it".

I take a completely stocked 7 day sorter AND the original bottles for my wife. That allows for any refilling the container, trip delays, dropped meds that disappear into corners, suspicious customs agents, etc. In addition, we always pack a note from the doctor that says she must keep insulin, syringes, supplies and medications with her at ALL times. Of course, we do just that ... everything goes into a rollaboard 22" suitcase, along with her miscellaneous personal items and one change of casual clothing. There is NO way we want to be dealing with lost luggage full of necessary medications and it is nice to have one change of clothing, in the event of a baggage delay. We also take "today's medications" and additional diabetic supplies on all excursions.

I guess it's all good advice, but i think it is all a personal preference. I always take a few days more than needed. Our last cruise we used a seven day sorter which worked well. I carried a small bottle with a few extra days of meds, just in case.

I do bring a list, by med name, along with Rx number just in case we are questioned.

Archived