How Do They Keep Fresh Vegs and Fruit on Long Cruises?

Evilmille

No, it does not become scarce. Most fruits & veggies will easily keep for 6 or 7 days if kept at the right temperature. On longer cruises, I'm sure they replenish when in port.

i'll be the brat....

OH YEAH? how about those transatlantic cruises? huh huh huh, smartypants.....hehehehheeh?

I'M STARVING! WHEN IS LUNCH COMING?

the OP had a legitimate inquiry. heck...maybe i'll ask about the longer cruises when they have the "tour of the ship" presentation when i cruise next month. or i'll just ask the crew in the dining room.

this is another one of those "how do they do it" thing when all we worry about is "do we dine in the main dining room or specialty".

it truly is amazing how they stock a ship. instead of helicopter...maybe a cargo plane? that explains the loud banging noises so early in the morning. crew members trying to catch the provisions.

kenya-africa-flood-2006-disaster-management-bg.jpg

it truly is amazing how they stock a ship. instead of helicopter...maybe a cargo plane? that explains the loud banging noises so early in the morning. crew members trying to catch the provisions.

No it is a Hotdog sub. Come on the shape of the hotdog is perfect for the firing tubes and that banging you hear early in the morning is as they bounce off the side of the ship :D

I think what is really frightening is I can walk and talk at the same time !!!lol

No it is a Hotdog sub. Come on the shape of the hotdog is perfect for the firing tubes and that banging you hear early in the morning is as they bounce off the side of the ship :D

I think what is really frightening is I can walk and talk at the same time !!!lol

OF COURSE! not to be confused with a "hot dog submarine SANDWICH" imagine that?!?!?!?!?!?

no but seriously...anyone know about the longer cruises? maybe and inert gas chamber?

most probably they have chill rooms or freezer rooms to get produce fresh, on the TA trips and as someone else said just get fresh products from the ports they visit. Like on my up and coming trip around the med. Which leads me to a side questions sorry OT but do the meals on the ship reflect the ports you are about to visit or have visited?

Maybe they just use a whole lot of those Debbie Myer Green Bags for keeping produce fresh that I keep seeing advertised on TV???

you know what? poking fun or serious....THAT IS ONE HECK OF A PRODUCT!

Evilmille...yeah they definitely will stock what they need for most of the trip. and i guess it depends on the ports also. i would imagine it's like bargain shopping. would it be cheaper to buy in bulk in NYC or in Bermuda? or both? let's hope this thread doesn't get deleted.

i really think this is one of those threads that can offer insight as well as creative comic relief (to an otherwise stressful day).

On a 5-day Carnival cruise to Canada out of NYC last September we ran out of bananas on day #3. A major passenger uprising was in the works. :p Seriously. At the galley tour the Food & Beverage Director was asked why they couldn't have simply picked up some more in Canada? He said that regulations (USDA, I think?) stated that they could only provision in the U.S.

This still begs the question of how they provision on (and for) longer cruises, and those those don't both begin and end in the U.S.?

I've been on cruises with 10 days as sea and we had salad up to the very end and it wasn't rotten. Those chefs work magic!! :D

see? our point exactly. you had only salad! yes...i'm a brat.

I picked up a "Jewel Fact Sheet" when we were on the Jewel in Jan. Listed on the Executive Chef & Inventory Accountant's "shopping list" for the ship is 30,000 lbs. of fresh fruit. I saw many pallets of food on the dock in Miami. It also says "We are pleased to announce that the M/S Norwegian Jewel has scored a perfect 100% on previous USPH inspections!!".

NCL pearl 10 day TA no stops, no problem except they ran out of some beers.

this is more of a problem for me than food.

bartender: sorry, sir, we ran out of corona

me: ok i'll have a bass ale

bartender: we ran out of that also

me: fine i'll take a heineken

bartender: again...

me: a double of irish whiskey then

bartender: very good choice, sir.

Even our Fridgidares and Kenmores will keep vegetables for a week. And yes, those neat products like the green bag or tupperware lettuce keepers do keep vegetables fresher longer.

Think about the vegetables that have the shortest shelf life. Cucumbers. You don't see much of them on menus on ships. And you don't see raw mushrooms on menus, either. They have a relatively short shelf life.

And it's also possible they buy at various ripeness stages.

It's the transatlantics with no stops for 11 days where they might run short. Even most transatlantics stop in the Azores or Canaries but there are some that go straight from a US port to a European one (not as much fun maybe, but they do exist).

It's a good question. When someone takes the kitchen tour, be sure to post what they tell you.

If you've ever worked in a grocery store or know someone who does long distance trucking, you quickly find out that "farm to table" can be up to a month for some fruits and vegetables. It's not that much of a challenge to keep stuff fresh for a week or so at sea in a temperature controlled storage area.

Viv

If you've ever worked in a grocery store or know someone who does long distance trucking, you quickly find out that "farm to table" can be up to a month for some fruits and vegetables. It's not that much of a challenge to keep stuff fresh for a week or so at sea in a temperature controlled storage area.

Viv

ahhhhhhh...i like that. very nice! totally forgot they have to be transported. it's not like they just pull them out from the back and onto the shelves.

at home you probably have a single fridge with compartments.

The ships have cold stores that are at different temps and humidities to optimise the shelf life of product.

On a lot of ships a lot of stuff is frozen anyway, most meat and fish for example.

Archived