SCUBA certification

I see that some times you can get certified or re certified onboard your cruise ship. Does anyone know which ships offer this service?

Certainly Oasis class (Oasis, Allure, Harmony). Not sure of others.

Im going on anthem... so this is would be a benefit for sure

You'll have a great time. My kids and I were already certified so we did not see all the steps they did on Anthem, but we did go a few times to the on board dive shop to register for the Scuba excursion we had pre-purchased in our Cruise Planner. The staff was super nice and told us that there would be another group from the scuba classes that would be joining us on the tender boat to CocoCay, but they would be diving in a different area to complete their open water certification. I'm not sure which pool they used for their pool work. I don't recall seeing a pool on board that was deep enough, but I wasn't looking for one either. I did see a class sitting in front of the dive shop going over equipment drills.

I do recall that the certification and refresher courses were available in the cruise planner several months before the Scuba excursions showed up. The CocoCay scuba excursion only showed up for purchase 56 days out. We had booked the cruise 461 days out and had gotten our certifications done locally during the year in preparation for this cruise, and I was getting worried, but it all came together in the end.

dp

Liberty offered a PADI refresher course and open water certification in May 2017. It doesn't have a deep pool, however, so I'm not sure how they did their official confined water dives before the open water dives. Oasis also offered courses in August 2017 and the confined water dives were in the aft Aqua Theater pool, which has an adjustable floor but goes as deep as 18 feet I believe.

Our son was recently certified on Oasis, if you'd like to read the details they are on this post...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2535524

• 4 weeks later...
You'll have a great time. My kids and I were already certified so we did not see all the steps they did on Anthem, but we did go a few times to the on board dive shop to register for the Scuba excursion we had pre-purchased in our Cruise Planner. The staff was super nice and told us that there would be another group from the scuba classes that would be joining us on the tender boat to CocoCay, but they would be diving in a different area to complete their open water certification. I'm not sure which pool they used for their pool work. I don't recall seeing a pool on board that was deep enough, but I wasn't looking for one either. I did see a class sitting in front of the dive shop going over equipment drills.

I do recall that the certification and refresher courses were available in the cruise planner several months before the Scuba excursions showed up. The CocoCay scuba excursion only showed up for purchase 56 days out. We had booked the cruise 461 days out and had gotten our certifications done locally during the year in preparation for this cruise, and I was getting worried, but it all came together in the end.

dp

its weird. i see it listed as fun things to do on the Anthem page yet when i try and sign up for a course in cruise planner its no where to be found.