New carnival fun points redemption calculator!

larrymeador

I just accessed my account information for my Carnival Fun Points MasterCard (previously Carnival Sea Miles). I had read several posts indicating that the new points were better and boy are they. They even have a calculator which will tell you how many points you need to pay for your cruise. Quite simply the rate is 59.88 points for every $1 of your cruise. For instance if I wanted to book a $2500 cruise, it would cost me 149,701 points. The great thing about the new points redemption is you go out and book your cruise using whatever discounts, specials, etc. you can, then redeem your points through the credit card service. That is much better than the standardized prices for cruises that the Sea Miles was using. In addition, since we travel with a 10 year old, the entire amount of our cruise can be paid for with points. Previously, with Sea Miles, we were told that we had to pay for the 3rd and 4th persons in our cabin and could not use points. We have been saving for many years and we now have 311,000 points....:D:D:D

In addition, a $100 onboard credit is 12,500 points. A $200 onboard spa credit is 20,000 points.

Now the hard part is deciding which cruise (or 2) to go on....:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I read on another thread that you only have 180 days to redeem your points. Is this true? Also, are the points I accrued under the old system (Sea Miles) now worthless? Their website is not very clear on this. I never could find that page that told me how many total points I have. I could only find the Redeem Now page but it doesn't allow me to redeem all of them.

• 1 month later...

Yeah, they decided to change the program and my 10,000+ points vanished in a heart beat! A bunch of crooks hiding behind a wall of lawyers and accountants figuring how to get you to spend your monies through them and give you none of the perks they promise.

I read on another thread that you only have 180 days to redeem your points. Is this true? Also, are the points I accrued under the old system (Sea Miles) now worthless? Their website is not very clear on this. I never could find that page that told me how many total points I have. I could only find the Redeem Now page but it doesn't allow me to redeem all of them.

You have 5 years to redeem points before losing them.

No... You have 5 years to use your points. There is an option on the site to use your points towards travel items on you account. So I can take money off travel things on my account like cruise stuff and airline tickets. You have 180 days to apply toward these items even after you have paid the statement.

I would also never use my points to get the OBC you are better off using the card to pay your S&S after the cruise getting double points for the whole thing and then going in and applying your points toward the Carnival charge on your statement.

Yeah, they decided to change the program and my 10,000+ points vanished in a heart beat! A bunch of crooks hiding behind a wall of lawyers and accountants figuring how to get you to spend your monies through them and give you none of the perks they promise.

They had a glitch initially in the change over, but all of my seamiles points showed up in a couple of days. Perhaps you need to check again, I've heard this complaint from others but then they rechecked and everything was fine.

Additionally, John Heald on his blog earlier this week told someone if they had a similar problem to let him know and he would get them in touch with the right people to get their points fixed.

I've already used 20,000 points on each of my last 2 cruises for a $200 OBC.

I had stopped using the card when it was Seamiles and was ready to cancel the thing. I held onto it once they announced the funpoints and so far so good.

I booked a cruise on Monday, then went in yesterday (Wed.) and had points redeemed to take off $350 of the bill for the cruise fare. :D Very easy to do and choose your option. The statement credit was a better deal than redeeming for OBC.

you have to go to the website for the new card when you get it to get the total of your points. Your points are not worthless. I just used mine to get a $550 credit on my cruise! I don't know off the top of my head the exact website. I will see if I can find it for you.

My points carried over from SeaMiles to FunPoints. They expire five years after you earn them.

If your SeaMiles did not transfer over to your new card, you may need to call them. My friend had to call several times to get her points back on, but persistence pays off.

• 3 weeks later...
They had a glitch initially in the change over, but all of my seamiles points showed up in a couple of days. Perhaps you need to check again, I've heard this complaint from others but then they rechecked and everything was fine.

Additionally, John Heald on his blog earlier this week told someone if they had a similar problem to let him know and he would get them in touch with the right people to get their points fixed.

I've already used 20,000 points on each of my last 2 cruises for a $200 OBC.

hello everyone! its been forever since i have been on cruise critic ,i miss this site! anyways, so im about to book a cruise and i would like to use my 120000 or so fun points,should i use them to book the cruise itself or things like on board credits for all the booze and excursions i will be going on?:confused:

hello everyone! its been forever since i have been on cruise critic ,i miss this site! anyways, so im about to book a cruise and i would like to use my 120000 or so fun points,should i use them to book the cruise itself or things like on board credits for all the booze and excursions i will be going on?:confused:

You get a better return if you use the points towards the cruise. I didn't have enough for a full cruise, but it was very easy to do. I booked like usual and put the charge on the card. Two days later I went in and redeemed by points for a $350 credit towards my bill. Two days later, the credit showed and I owed $350 less on the credit card statement. The same points were only going to get me $250 in OBC.

IMHO the new Funpoints are heads above Seamiles..I must have been one of the lucky ones..all my seamiles transferred seamlessly to funpoints. As another OP said...you can book where you find the best deal and then apply the points..thanks to seamiles we are sailing to the Panama Canal..debt free and in an aft cabin to boot...we had enough points to totally pay for the cruise with points left over to use to pay off the S&S when that appears...might as well get the double points instead of doing OBC..besides...the redemption rate is better the more you spend..;)

I just booked a cruise on Glory for this August and am planning on using my points (37,xxx) towards it. I believe I can get about $370 off of the cabin which isn't bad because I paid $349 per person!

You get a better return if you use the points towards the cruise. I didn't have enough for a full cruise, but it was very easy to do. I booked like usual and put the charge on the card. Two days later I went in and redeemed by points for a $350 credit towards my bill. Two days later, the credit showed and I owed $350 less on the credit card statement. The same points were only going to get me $250 in OBC.

so your saying i can book thru carnival? and not thru "fun points"? :confused: i have booked my cruises thru carnival directly before and liked it better than a travel agent or the thought of dealing with "SEAMILES"/FUN POINTS". sorry if im slightly clueless on redeeming my points :D

IMHO the new Funpoints are heads above Seamiles..I must have been one of the lucky ones..all my seamiles transferred seamlessly to funpoints. As another OP said...you can book where you find the best deal and then apply the points..thanks to seamiles we are sailing to the Panama Canal..debt free and in an aft cabin to boot...we had enough points to totally pay for the cruise with points left over to use to pay off the S&S when that appears...might as well get the double points instead of doing OBC..besides...the redemption rate is better the more you spend..;)

im glad redeeming your points went smoothly! :). im just nervous, i heard soo manyy nightmares on the topic.

so your saying i can book thru carnival? and not thru "fun points"? :confused: i have booked my cruises thru carnival directly before and liked it better than a travel agent or the thought of dealing with "SEAMILES"/FUN POINTS". sorry if im slightly clueless on redeeming my points :D

Yes, the new program lets you book however you want. TA, Carnival PVP, online. You just have to put the deposit (or full charge if you book last minute like I did) on the Funpoints card. Go to the funpoints website a few days later and cash in for either statement credit against the cruise cost, OBC, or gifts onboard.

You can book with anyone as long as you charge it to your Carnival Mastercard. When your bill comes in the mail you can redeem your points and the amount will come off your balance. It may take a few days for processing......only 1 for me though.

Yes, the new program lets you book however you want. TA, Carnival PVP, online. You just have to put the deposit (or full charge if you book last minute like I did) on the Funpoints card. Go to the funpoints website a few days later and cash in for either statement credit against the cruise cost, OBC, or gifts onboard.

ahh thats good to hear! i love this website! always informative people :)

Archived