Anyone bring your own snorkeling gear?

aardogfsu

You won't be snorkeling anywhere near the Canal, I don't think...

What other places are you stopping at? We can't just guess where you are stopping- there are many possible ports. Looking at the boards for those ports will be helpful.

Edited by CruiserBruce

Fri May 15 Cartagena, Colombia 8:00am 2:00pm

Mon May 18 Puerto Caldera, Costa Rica 8:00am 6:00pm

Tue May 19 Corinto, Nicaragua 10:00am 6:00pm

Wed May 20 Puerto Quetzal, Guatemala 8:00am 6:00pm

Thu May 21 Puerto Chiapas, Mexico 8:00am 5:00pm

Fri May 22 Huatulco, Mexico 8:00am 2:00pm

Sun May 24 Puerto Vallarta, Mexico 8:00am 4:00pm

Mon May 25 Cabo San Lucas, Mexico 8:00am 3:00pm

are some of the ports

Unless you are going to hit one of the ABC islands there won't be much on the Caribbean side either. From what I have seen of the waters around Cartagena it doesn't strike me as a great snorkeling area. Full disclosure... haven't done very much snorkeling.

Unless you are going to hit one of the ABC islands there won't be much on the Caribbean side either. From what I have seen of the waters around Cartagena it doesn't strike me as a great snorkeling area. Full disclosure... haven't done very much snorkeling.

Actually the Caymans have pretty good snorkeling. Cozumel is ok. Roatan is OK. Costa Maya is fine, perhaps the best in the western Caribbean except for Belize. Belize has great snorkeling. St Thomas/St John is good. Grand Turk is perhaps the best, but doubt a Canal cruise is going to stop at Grand Turk.

And yes, the ABC islands have snorkeling, probably in the "average" range. We have snorkeled MANY locations in the Caribbean.

Edited by CruiserBruce

I just assumed that Cartagena was the only Caribbean stop and there sure is not much there for snorkeling... from what little I know the Caribbean certainly does have better snorkeling than the mentioned Pacific areas. In Panama I would think the best snorkeling would be in the San Blas Islands on the Caribbean side and some of the islands in the Las Perlas chain or Coiba Island which are on the Pacific side. Very few main stream cruise lines call on the San Blas any more and only the boutique, small ship cruise lines make their way to Panama's Pacific Islands. Isla Coiba used to be Panama's "Devil's Island" but now is a national park.

• 1 month later...

You can snorkel in Huatulco, I always do. Take a cab to Playa La Entrega for $5 per cab one way. There is a dedicated snorkel area with lots of fish, though sometimes the visibility is not super. There are plenty of cabs waiting for the trip back or you can take a water taxi for a few $'s more.

You can snorkel at a couple of places in the Sea of Cortez near Cabo but not sure how expensive a cab would be. You can also take one of the small boat tours to Land's End and ask to be dropped off at Pelican Rock to snorkel. The area is now roped off so it is fairly safe. I was the only one wanting to get off on my boat tour so I had to pay $13 instead of the usual $10 or so. I was dropped off and picked up at a time I specified.

• 2 months later...

Wondering if eltigre can tell me what mask her husband uses for snorkeling that works with his beard. I got my husband to try it once, but the water poured into his mask because of his beard. Now he refuses to do it because he thinks he will have to shave his beard off!

Hopefully we can try again...I really enjoyed it that one time.

• 2 weeks later...
Wondering if eltigre can tell me what mask her husband uses for snorkeling that works with his beard. I got my husband to try it once, but the water poured into his mask because of his beard. Now he refuses to do it because he thinks he will have to shave his beard off!

Hopefully we can try again...I really enjoyed it that one time.

Hi, sorry it took me a bit to get back as we just moved & I couldn't locate the gear. It is a Body Glove, not expensive but a good fit & we always bring Vaseline along. So far he hasn't needed it but if you can't get a snug fit the Vaseline on the beard helps.

Make sure you test the mask before purchase.

Check out http://www.hawaiisnorkelingguide.com/snorkeling_masks.html for fitting info.

A good fitting mask & snorkel makes ALL THE DIFFERENCE.....

We bring our gear rather use rentals. Plus with hubby's beard we know the mask works!! Nothing can ruin a great day that bad gear.

My DH has a beard and mustache. How does your husband would around that?

I didn't read the whole thread! Nevermind!

Edited by I Luv Crusin

• 4 weeks later...
The cleaning solution they use on the gear has a strong smell that makes me sick when I breathe it in, so I bring my own. DH is not so sensitive and likes to travel light, so he rents.

FYI...to travel lite, just take your own snorkel, and rent the mask and fins. I would never put a rented snorkel in my mouth. A great experience in the caymans is to walk around to the other side of the cove where the tender boats come in and swim with the school of large tarpons that hang out next to the restaurants.