Hapag Lloyd expedition ships

Floridiana

I found two great Asian itineraries on the Hanseatic. The language is not an issue, fluent in both.

Question 1: Dress code? I hope there are no formal nights and if there are, I hope they are not black tie/dark suit and ball gown/cocktail dress. This would kill the cruise for us right there and then.

Question 2: I don't see any balconies. This is usually the sign of a very old ship. How old is this ship?

Question 3: Assigned tables? Really? We like open seating and sometimes choose specific table mates ourselves.

The Hanseatic was built in 1991.

With regard to the dress code, I found this reference on another website:

' During the day the dress code on board is casually sporty and ashore mainly comfortable and appropriate to the destination visited. Only for the occasion of the Captain’s dinner a formal dress code would be recommended. '

As you speak German, the following is more specific:

'5. Welche Kleidung sollte ich auf einer Kreuzfahrt mit den Expeditionsschiffen HANSEATIC und BREMEN dabei haben?

Auf den Expeditionsschiffen BREMEN und HANSEATIC ist der Dresscode generell sportlich-lässig. Lediglich für die beiden Captain’s Dinners ist ein Anzug für die Herren und ein Kostüm oder Hosenanzug für die Damen empfehlenswert.'

You may find this video of interest:

Thank you very much for the information. We are still thinking about the value for money aspect. :) Not convinced yet.

As to the captain's dinner, we skipped the second one on L'Austral. Way too drawn out even for the French. I was a bit annoyed that our outfits + shoes added weight to our large suitcase during the non-ship segments of our trip. The buffet restaurant had no dress code.

How about the buffet restaurant on the Hanseatic during the captain's dinner?

Question 4:

We had free laundry services on our b2b Ponant cruise. This helped tremendously since we did a pre-cruise and a 2 week post cruise segment with a different company. So far, I haven't found any information on laundry on the Hanseatic.

There was no launderette on our 2008 Hanseatic voyage.

We did not take formal clothes as we had been (mis)informed that they were not necessary. My husband wore a sports jacket sans tie to the formal dinner. I skated by with a sparkly top, although most women wore long or cocktail dresses.

I am sure we probably confirmed the other passengers low opinion of Americans!

Don't forget you can pay in Euros, which currently makes the pricing a lot more palatable.

There was no launderette on our 2008 Hanseatic voyage.

Don't forget you can pay in Euros, which currently makes the pricing a lot more palatable.

Good point about the Euro!

Did you use the laundry service? Was it reasonably priced? Not like $ 5.- for a pair of jeans. (not planning on jeans, just as a point of reference)

I don't even own an evening dress; I wear linen pants and a silk top and scarf if absolutely necessary. The French Ponant passengers didn't wear formal evening clothes, just nice ones. The Australians were my kind of people, 'sportlich elegant' at all times. Country club casual is the expression the Oceania line uses.

The laundry/dry cleaning service on the Europa 2 may act as a guide to prices on the Hanseatic.

On my cruise in July 2014 the following prices applied.(Euros)

LAUNDRY:

Shirt/Blouse: 3.40.

Suit/Two Piece: 8.00

Trousers: 3.70

Shorts: 2.70

DRY CLEANING:

Trousers/Shorts: 4.50

Suit/Two Piece: 9.40

Sports Jacket: 5.20

I wouldn't worry too much about the clothing. On my cruise one guy always wore jeans with a suit jacket and most of the other men leaned towards the 'professor' look. I usually wore a dress or skirt with a nice top or jeans with a jacket.

IIRC there is no buffet for dinner. Just a set menue as alternative to the main restaurant.

The food was very good in both locations.

P1010003.jpg.633c6f82867107c81546a4e953ff3144.jpg

P1010004.jpg.4d012449f9edbe4834e87d2db758682b.jpg

P1010006.jpg.8e868db75b16b2330d8c3da5230b6ff9.jpg

I was trying to make a joke -- obviously failed! The other passengers were reserved and a bit distant, but not in a nasty way.

Our last cruise on Hanseatic was in 2008, so much may have changed. At that time it was fairly formal (even saw jackets on men at lunch) and a bit regimented. But I imagine it may have changed, vis a vis H-L's efforts to gain a foothold in the English speaking market.

• 2 weeks later...

Floridiana,

Unfortunately, a direct link to Hapag-Lloyd's website is being blocked.

On the 27 May they issued a Press Release announcing it's new 'International Expeditions Brochure' detailing eleven International cruises on the Hanseatic for the period November 2015 to May 2017.

This article gives some details on the cruises:

http://www.noodls.com/view/7C33470107E246AEF8629EB9BDFA3EAF883846B2?1037xxx1432812474