Dock Location in Buenos Aires

roothy123

Our ship (Insignia) is docking in BA at the "Terminal de Passejeros" and I was wondering where this might be. A map from a book shows a number of docks downtown, but not all in one distinct place. Can anyone give me more info? I know that the actual dock number is subject to change, but I just want to get an idea of actual location and what's around there. Does the "Terminal" have a web site,preferably in English?

What is your concern? What there is to do? Transportation? How far it is to town? Our only experience was on a Princess cruise leaving there. There was another cruise line's ship (NCL?) leaving from the same area at the same time. Not far at all from downtown. We probably could have walked from our hotel (Hotel Bel Air) in Recreio, though certainly wouldn't have wanted to with luggage. There will be plenty of taxis. I didn't see anything of particular interest right at the port. Recreio Park and the famous cemetery where Eva Peron is buried, are fairly close, and probably walkable (looked safe to me but I can't say with certainty).

BA has a new passenger terminal which is not far from the city and an easy taxi ride. The terminal is not yet finished and things are not running as smoothly as they maybe could - we were on a cruise out of there in early January and it took us nearly 3 hours to get onto the ship. it may be easier disembarking. From the terminal we took a shuttle to the actual dock which was about 5 - 8 minutes away in a commercial area. Our ship was large but I saw that the Nautica passengers had to be bussed as well. There were plenty of taxis at the terminal an

Our ship (Insignia) is docking in BA at the "Terminal de Passejeros" and I was wondering where this might be. A map from a book shows a number of docks downtown, but not all in one distinct place. Can anyone give me more info? I know that the actual dock number is subject to change, but I just want to get an idea of actual location and what's around there. Does the "Terminal" have a web site,preferably in English?

I have disembarked in BA a couple/3 times. One pier terminal is located adjacent to a public street. The other is deeper into the port away from street traffic. (Unfortunately, I do not recall the # of each of these two pier terminals.)

This is an important distinction because the proximity to the street at the first terminal allows disembarking pax to hail street cabs for the $5 (20 peso) ride to local hotels in Puerto Madero, Barrio Norte or Palermo whereas the second does not. Consequently, pax disembarking at the second terminal are subject to the mercy (:eek:) of the taxi mafia that controls the terminal exit. By law, all taxis must use the meter, but these crooked scum charge 3 or 4 times the legal rates. They are to be avoided both for the sake of one's wallet and on principle.

At both terminals the major shopping centers often provide free van rides to disembarking pax. This may be somewhat inconvenient for pax disembarking the ship permanently who have lots of luggage. It is a good way to avoid the mafia taxis if the ship is simply porting for a day or 2 and you are not saddled down with lots of bags. Even if you don't want to visit the shopping centers (Patio Bullrich, Galleria Pacifica, Alto Palermo, etc), hopping aboard a free van is a good way to leave the port area. You can always hail a street cab when you exit the van. The rides from the port to the shopping centers are 15 - 20 minutes so you won't be going out of your way. Cabs in BA are plentiful and relatively inexpensive. Try to hail a cab that is a radio cab (marked and easily visible). Avoid shoddy, rundown looking cabs. Also avoid cabs parked at major tourist areas - these are likely to be pirates/dishonest cabbies who will use counterfeit bills to scam unwary passengers.

For those who finally disembarking with lots of luggage the vans are still an option, albeit an awkward one. You can try to call a radio cab from the terminal and the Mafia should permit it to serve you. A tel call to a radio cab would confirm this. Several of the biggest are: Taxi del Plata 4504-7776, 4505-1111, Radio Taxi Pidalo 4932-2222, 4956-1200, Radio Taxi Premium 5238-0000, 4374-6666. A cab should arrive in less than 10 minutes.

I encourage all cruise ship passengers to boycott the taxi mafia crooks who prey on the passengers and who are permitted to do so by a corrupt municipal government.

Well, one of the reasons I was asking about the dock location is that I want to have as specific knowledge as possible for the cab driver. A cousin lives in BA and she warned me about the taxi situation.

My situation is a little different from Stella's, as I am embarking the ship there, so at least I can get a taxi from the airport. I was able to find a map showing the port area, and when the power is back on (likely not soon, as DC area is a mess from a "thundersnow" that hit during rush hour last night.) However, when I can get into my pc, I'll find the bookmarked map and send a link. I read that Celebrity ships come into Terminal 4, which is considered the cruise ship terminal, north of the "other" docking area. However, Insignia is a smaller ship, so it's possible they could dock somewhere else.

In any case, I'm confused by a comment above - Is it not possible to simply get off a cruise ship and get a taxi (whether called as preferable, or hailed) right close to where cruise ships dock? Aussie, should I have the taxi driver go to where the ship is (if I can find that out, or see it?) or to the terminal?

What is the bus that was taking Nautica and other cruise ship pax - from the terminal to the actual dock?

Thanks for the info/advice - I'll post that link this afternoon or whenever the power goes back on.

Also, Aussie, were you charged a $130 fee in the BA airport? Can you use a credit card? Brazil has its $140 visa; guess Argentina prefers to surprise their international pax!

Argentina has had the reciprocity charge for some time. It is set based on the cost of a visa for Argentinians to visit various counties. The US visa cost is $140 thus the cost for a US citizen to enter Argentina. Travel on a UK passport and the cost is $0.

Well, one of the reasons I was asking about the dock location is that I want to have as specific knowledge as possible for the cab driver. A cousin lives in BA and she warned me about the taxi situation.

My situation is a little different from Stella's, as I am embarking the ship there, so at least I can get a taxi from the airport.

In any case, I'm confused by a comment above - Is it not possible to simply get off a cruise ship and get a taxi (whether called as preferable, or hailed) right close to where cruise ships dock?

From EZE try taxi Ezeiza which has a booth inside the terminal. They are reliable and not much more expensive than if you called a radio cab to make the port trip. See http://www.taxiezeiza.com.ar/en/tarifas.html . I would guess they will charge 150-170 pesos for the EZE-port trip and they should drop you off at the ship terminal inside the port. It would be cheaper to call a radio cab, but if you don't speak Spanish the hassle may not be worth the savings. I would guess a reg radio cab from EZE to the port would run 130-40 pesos during the day. More at night now that BA cabs have instituted a bifurcated rate (20% higher at night starting in Feb.)

When you disembark at the terminal that is not adjacent to the public street , it is not possible to hail a cab (without hoofing it a great distance). You are stuck with scumbags inside the port unless you can call a radio cab. The SCBGs will charge $25 to go to the Hilton when a regular cab fare would be about $5.

OK, here is a map I found that shows Terminal 4, which I'm thinking is the new cruise terminal, but not sure. You'll have to mouse around to see it, but there are docks on either side of the terminal. Does that look like the likle docking location? I realize that ships can be assigned just about anywhere that the dockmaster sees fit, but I suppose it's likely that most of the cruise ships come in here.

http://wikimapia.org/1714509/es/Terminal-de-Pasajeros-Benito-Quinquela-Mart%C3%ACn

Roothy, when we were embarking, passengers on the Nautica were bussed from the passenger terminal to the ship. It looks like no-one is allowed to walk on or off ships as it is a busy commercial dock. Embarkation for Nautica seemed shorter than for us as there were just less people but my advice is to leave plenty of time. We used a private transfer company which although more expensive than taxi was very smooth (I know lots of CC posters will say that taxis are fine and they are but we use private transfers generally for their ease and hang the cost).

Thank you, Aussie. That helps a lot. About how much does a private transfer cost, anyway? Do you remember the name of the one you used? There's also the option of buying Oceania's transfers, which is the easy option, but we never do that, as they're expensive for what you get (often a bus ride!) In any case, you've answered my question as to where we're going - the Terminal de Passejeros, just what Oceania says!

Did you go out on your own in BA the next day (assuming you were there next day) or did you hire a driver or take an excursion? If the former, was it easy to get a cab - call for one, or what?

OK, here is a map I found that shows Terminal 4, which I'm thinking is the new cruise terminal, but not sure. You'll have to mouse around to see it, but there are docks on either side of the terminal. Does that look like the likle docking location? I realize that ships can be assigned just about anywhere that the dockmaster sees fit, but I suppose it's likely that most of the cruise ships come in here.

http://wikimapia.org/1714509/es/Terminal-de-Pasajeros-Benito-Quinquela-Mart%C3%ACn

You are right. This is the principal cruise Terminal. A bus take the passengers to their ships docked on various berths.

We used Silver Star (an expat US who now lives in BA). It's about $US100 which is expensive but it is first class service - a new car, safe driver and good conversation. There are other companies as well - we used InterHabit in Iguazu - it is a network so has links in BA (check the website).

We were overnight in BA as well and went to Florida St (we did not sightsee as we had been in BA for the week prior). We were going to take a taxi from the port (there were lots waiting) but when we were exiting there was a free shuttle from H Stern a jeweller (no pressure to buy and right at the start of Florida St). They had a return as well - very convenient. Lots of people were taking advantahe of it (from Nautica as well).

BA has a new passenger terminal which is not far from the city and an easy taxi ride. The terminal is not yet finished and things are not running as smoothly as they maybe could - we were on a cruise out of there in early January and it took us nearly 3 hours to get onto the ship. it may be easier disembarking. From the terminal we took a shuttle to the actual dock which was about 5 - 8 minutes away in a commercial area. Our ship was large but I saw that the Nautica passengers had to be bussed as well. There were plenty of taxis at the terminal an

I'm still waiting for a good explanation from Celebrity on this!:eek:

My guess is that a combination of factors led to the long wait - a) the ship had never used this terminal before (one officer said this was all new to them) b) we were in Peak time (about 11.30am) c) the terminal was not finished so not all areas were open and d) Celebrity were woefully under prepared. In my mind they should have been able to have two distinct lines for embarkation (priority and other). Once we got upstairs to the actual immigration area it was smooth. The time was spent downstairs with ship's staff trying to give instructions with no microphones!

Archived