best season for NZ/Australia

pv girl

Which time of year is best for a cruise Sydney, Melbourne, Hobart and then to NZ going up the eastern coast and ending in Aukland? Choices are early Nov or February. Want to avoid the hotter summer season, but still have good spring or fall weather.

February.

It could be hot in Sydney/Melbourne in either November or February so it's best to base it on NZ. It will be warmer in the south of NZ in February, in November it could still be a bit cool. Well, it can be cool there at any time but you have better chances of nicer weather in February. :)

I agree with OzKiwwJJ, February is the best option.

Of course there is no guarantee with weather ;), but the chances of the weather being warmer in Hobart and the South Island of NZ is better in February. Having said that, you will still need to carry some warmer clothing as you may still experience cool weather this far south and also being at sea can be chillier than on land.

Sydney will most likely be around 28C with some humidity but there is often a sea breeze in the afternoon around the coast so this makes it very pleasant.

The weather in Melbourne is a bit more variable, but it shouldn't be too hot unless you are unlucky enough to strike a 40C day :eek: but these usually occur in January and usually only last a day or two. Note I said usually :D

Hopefully you will have great weather and a wonderful cruise.

I'm going to dissent and say November is the better option. February is notoriously hot here in Melbourne. We had almost a month of near to or over 40 days this year. February is by far the hottest part of summer in my experience in Melbourne and Sydney. November is more likely to get warm, but not hot, weather.

You are visiting 2 distinctly different climactic regions so the best for one is not the best for another.

Sydney and Melbourne (particularly Melbourne) can be searing hot in Feb, we tend to get around a week of 40+ degree days, other times it ranges from high 20's to high 30's. But if this is only a few days out of a couple of weeks then I would still do Feb, as Tasmania and the south of NZ are cooler average temps, and it could still be chilly in November.

Well now we have confused the OP with all our different opinions :eek:

As someone who has lived in Hobart, Melbourne and Sydney there is no guarantees with any month but I still think spring is more unreliable in all 3 states than February and the South Island of NZ could be quite cold. It was cool enough even when we cruised there one January and Hobart alternated between sun and a freezing blizzard! (Well horizontal rain).

Sydney can have cool days even in February. I remember when we cruised in twice in late February in different years we were excited to be able to show some English cruise buddies our home city only to find on both occasions it was cool, windy and overcast with some showers. Go figure.

To the OP - as you can see, there are different opinions and different preferences so I suggest you work out which time is best for you and just bring some layered clothing as regardless of the month you will most likely strike cool weather somewhere. :D

Thank you all for your input. I guess it's a gamble anytime, so maybe it will come down to best cruise price and/or airfare. Lots of research to do as this is all new territory for me. Can't wait!

As an aside, I just did Norway in July and thought it would be perfect for weather. We had rain 3 out of 4 ports and missed the 4th port due to high winds - go figure.

your decision would be based on price but keeping in mind that best time for NZ is definitely February.

Sydney usually has warm Octobers but February is historically the wettest month of the year with Melbourne the hottest in Feb.

• 3 weeks later...

What type of weather should I expect in mid to late December? We land in Sydney on December 18 and our ship, the Diamond Princess sets sail on December 21. I was told we should expect the weather to be around 22C. I was then told to expect the ports around NZ to be around 13C. The ship sails to Fiordland National Park, Port Chalmers, Akaroa, Picton, Tauranga, Auckland, and the Bay of Islands.

I just want to make sure I pack correctly.

What type of weather should I expect in mid to late December? We land in Sydney on December 18 and our ship, the Diamond Princess sets sail on December 21. I was told we should expect the weather to be around 22C. I was then told to expect the ports around NZ to be around 13C. The ship sails to Fiordland National Park, Port Chalmers, Akaroa, Picton, Tauranga, Auckland, and the Bay of Islands.

18 to 21 December in Sydney you might get as low as 22 (Idoubt it) or it could easily get to mid 30s. Those are Maximums, un fact at that time of year you may not drop below 20 as an overnight low.

I'd bring clothes that can be layered.

Agree with Gut. South Island of NZ is still cold in December. Wellington is often windy. The other ports on east coast lay in more sheltered locations and would expect low 20s.

Fiordland is on west coast of NZ so you should be prepared with a wind/water proof jacket just in case if you go out on deck, which you should do.

Agree with Gut. South Island of NZ is still cold in December. Wellington is often windy. The other ports on east coast lay in more sheltered locations and would expect low 20s.

Fiordland is on west coast of NZ so you should be prepared with a wind/water proof jacket just in case if you go out on deck, which you should do.

South Island's always cold isn't it.

February is Sydney's hottest month, it can easily give 40 a nudge.

Of course it depends when you are there in February.

I did error. This time around we were in Sydney on March 2. Weather was a delight.

Looking back on our itineraries they typically called for visits to New Zealand/Australia in mid February into mid March.

Keith

Of course it depends when you are there in February.

I did error. This time around we were in Sydney on March 2. Weather was a delight.

Looking back on our itineraries they typically called for visits to New Zealand/Australia in mid February into mid March.

Keith

March can be a bit cooler.

December can always get some random bad weather though, the south east coast can get effected by a tropical system further north, particularly if there has been a cyclone. Massive thunderstorms aren't uncommon that time of year, as are large swells in the Tasman Sea. So in summary it's always best to bring layers when visiting Australia, you can never guarantee consistent weather at any time of year :)

December can always get some random bad weather though, the south east coast can get effected by a tropical system further north, particularly if there has been a cyclone. Massive thunderstorms aren't uncommon that time of year, as are large swells in the Tasman Sea. So in summary it's always best to bring layers when visiting Australia, you can never guarantee consistent weather at any time of year :)

That's true and throw NZ in to the mix ???? Layers is the way to go.

18 to 21 December in Sydney you might get as low as 22 (Idoubt it) or it could easily get to mid 30s. Those are Maximums, un fact at that time of year you may not drop below 20 as an overnight low.

I'd bring clothes that can be layered.

Thank you so much.

We are doing a 14-day Sydney-NZ-Sydney cruise that begins March 25th. We get off the ship April 8th and will be in Sydney for 4-5 nights. What can we expect weather-wise? We'll probably take layers, but I'm wondering if I'll need more than a heavy sweater as a jacket? Thanks for the advice!

We are doing a 14-day Sydney-NZ-Sydney cruise that begins March 25th. We get off the ship April 8th and will be in Sydney for 4-5 nights. What can we expect weather-wise? We'll probably take layers, but I'm wondering if I'll need more than a heavy sweater as a jacket? Thanks for the advice!

In Sydney you will most likly get highs in the mid 70s maybe to mid 80s, you will probably get at lease one day with some rain.

Now NZ you will almost certainly need a jacket at that time of year.

• 2 weeks later...