The tipping issue is a dead horse – but this could be Win-Win

Like it or not, the new tipping policy is not going to change. As Opinions rightly pointed out in another thread, crew members belong to a union and a majority of them voted to accept the tipping plan. It was ratified in the current contract. So, people might as well make peace with it. It’s over and done with.

BUT…there IS one thing that passenger feedback might influence – Mariner’s discounts. Most cruiselines discount fares for their loyal customers and for those with many cruise days, the savings can be significant. It would be interesting to see a table comparing past passenger discounts by Celebrity, Princess, HAL, etc.

All cruiselines sell blocks of cabins at BIG discounts to consolidators like Cruisequick, Vantage, Vacations to go, etc.). So one possibility might be for HAL to offer to Mariners (based on their number of days) prices based on what they charge consolidators. Then any loss of “conventional” revenue might be offset by needing to sell fewer cabins to consolidators to fill the ship.

Who knows? If the folks in Seattle got a number of polite, thoughtfully phrased letters suggesting it could be good for business as well as making a significant gesture of appreciation (and encouragement!) to their loyal Mariners … it might work.

Oh but if it were that simple! Cruise pricing is about as convoluted at airline pricing. There are many different agencies who get different "deals" from the cruise lines. Some agencies have such large volume they can trim their margin a bit for their good customers (or provide champagne upon boarding or shipboard credits.) Lots of different factors play into the negotiated price of the cruise. I agree with Sail that we don't really stand a chance since there aren't hard and fast pricing charts/rate cards like are provided when you purchase newspaper space or radio/TV air time.

[quote name='The_Hall_Monitor']
BUT…there IS one thing that passenger feedback might influence – Mariner’s discounts.... Who knows? If the folks in Seattle got a number of polite, thoughtfully phrased letters suggesting it could be good for business as well as making a significant gesture of appreciation (and encouragement!) to their loyal Mariners … it might work.[/QUOTE]

Business [I]is[/I] good now. There is no reason for HAL to offer more substantial discounts to Mariners as long as Mariners remain loyal and continue to book cruises in the numbers they are now. The only way for Mariners to influence supply and demand and therefore price is to stop booking HAL cruises and tell HAL why. Until the bottom line is affected letters are meaningless.

"...Business is good now. There is no reason for HAL to offer more substantial discounts to Mariners as long as Mariners remain loyal and continue to book cruises in the numbers they are now. The only way for Mariners to influence supply and demand and therefore price is to stop booking HAL cruises and tell HAL why."

Exactly!

It would be reasonable in those "polite, thoughtfully phrased" letters to ask why, if discounts are just a routine cost of doing business, that HAL would rather make the discounts to consolidators than to loyal cruisers.

And, of course, to mention that under the current pricing structure, one's future business will go to cruiselines that recognize loyalty in more meaningful ways than the medals.

A few letters would make no impression. Lots of them, though, could make a difference.

[quote name='O2cruise']Are you sure the crew members belong to a Union? Which Union? What Union would let them work for so little pay?[/QUOTE]The International Transport Workers Federation, one of the strongest maritime unions in the world, has agreements with cruise lines and foreign maritime unions to enforce labor contracts for roughly 17,400 passenger ship crew members.

[quote name='O2cruise']Are you sure the crew members belong to a Union? Which Union? What Union would let them work for so little pay?[/QUOTE]Firstly, this question has nothing to do with the topic of the string.

Secondly, you are making assumptions not supported by fact. Search this site and you will find discussions on pay rates, total compensation, etc. The average yearly compensation according to many is in the range of US$30,000 to US$40,000. Even the stanchest union supporter has agreed that this compensation is in line with North American hotel labor.

Sorry to disappoint you, but they do not 'work for so little pay.'

Sorry lknick, in the first posting it stated that crew members belonged to a union. I was really interested and sincerely curious as to what union. No offense or topic changing intended.
InterestedByStander - thanks for the information!

[QUOTE]Sorry lknick, in the first posting it stated that crew members belonged to a union. I was really interested and sincerely curious as to what union. No offense or topic changing intended.[/QUOTE]Don't be sorry. It was I who took your post wrong.

I think I've become gun shy as there are so many on Cruise Critics who pop up with their own way of looking at things and no matter what facts are presented want to further their view by arguing or through ridicule. Then they personalize, become abusive, and insist only they have the 'true way'. Crew compensation is one of these areas.

Personally, I find it objectionable that there is an presumption that everyone from the third world needs our protection and cannot make a choice without our help. Too many believe today what Teddy Roosevelt wrote a century ago: 'It is the white man's burden to protect our little brown brothers." [Neither was origional with him...one from Kipling and the other from Taft.]

It seems there should be more perks for loyal cruisers but I've seen very few. On NCL I don't think it matters if you are on your second or twenty second cruise. RCCL does have a graduated perk scheme that does make it a little nicer. After 5 cruises with them you get complimentary custom air arrangements and an extra cocktail party with the ship's staff. I've seen recognition on HAL for those with many days, but are there any perks?

Archived