Breakfast in the MDR??

qbanrican84

..is it a better atmosphere (quiter, less crowded) than the buffet on the lido? Also what kind of menu's are offered for breakfast & lunch?

Much better atmosphere than the buffet. I will never eat from the buffet anyway with the crappy food, human cattle, chaos, etc. The menus are basic but its nice and relaxing. Breakfast has the basics, and lunch offers a few decent items. Service was always good and fast.

the Eggs Benedict are the worst on the planet. Sure some say you can make your own, but I am on vacation and refuse to make something that should have been done right the first time.

I am on vacation and would rather not serve myself if I can help it.

Much better atmosphere than the buffet. I will never eat from the buffet anyway with the crappy food, human cattle, chaos, etc. The menus are basic but its nice and relaxing. Breakfast has the basics, and lunch offers a few decent items. Service was always good and fast.

the Eggs Benedict are the worst on the planet. Sure some say you can make your own, but I am on vacation and refuse to make something that should have been done right the first time.

I am on vacation and would rather not serve myself if I can help it.

Next time in the MDR when you order Eggs Benedict ask for the Hollandaise Sauce to be served on the side. The eggs seem to be made to order.

I love breakfast in the MDR. My kids are late sleepers and it is my "me time" and a great way to start the day. You can dine alone if you prefer that, or ask to be seated with other people as you are usually not at your regular table.

Next time in the MDR when you order Eggs Benedict ask for the Hollandaise Sauce to be served on the side. The eggs seem to be made to order.

Agree on that!! Always ask for sauce on the side... you will get fresh, made to order and it is awesome!! :D

A lot of people like breakfast in the MDR. I am not too crazy about it myself. I actually prefer the buffet. I like to have a couple different smaller portions of things for DD and I to share. If I do this in MDR, I get a bunch of plates. Plus it is slower. We usually try MDR atleast once per cruise, but I honestly prefer the buffet for breakfast. And I am not that much of a buffet person. If you are looking for a more leisurely dining experience, then it works. If you are looking for something quick and easy (and have a hungry and restless child), you may prefer buffet.

We eat many of our breakfasts in the MDR. I get Eggs Benedict once on each cruises & am always disappointed. I will ask for Hollandaise on the side on our next cruises.

The only time we eat breakfast at the buffet is if we are cruising with friends or in a hurry to get off the ship for a shore excursion.

I love eating in the MDR for breakfast. I usually get a ham and cheese omelet. No standing in line. They will bring you eggs any way you want them. Breakfast meats. Multiple types of juices, fruit, toast, muffins, etc. I also prefer the coffee in the MDR.

Its my favorite indulgence. I also like lunch in the MDR on sea days. I like the spaghetti with meat balls and the fish and chips which they serve at lunch. Even if I decide to get a burger for lunch, I prefer it in the MDR. I love being waited on and not having to stand in line.

Link for breakfast and lunch menus~

https://www.goccl.com/irman/bookccl/sections/shipboard/DiningMenus.html

if you're going on a ship with the punchliner comedy brunch here's the menu for that~

Carnival Miracle

Carnival Breeze

Carnival Liberty

Carnival Magic

Carnival Dream

Carnival Conquest

Carnival Glory

Carnival Splendor (December 2012)

http://www.carnival.com/onboard/cruise-food/~/media/CCLUS/Images/pdf/PunchlinerBrunchMenupdf.ashx

I love breakfast in the MDR. My kids are late sleepers and it is my "me time" and a great way to start the day. You can dine alone if you prefer that, or ask to be seated with other people as you are usually not at your regular table.[/quote]

Actually you'll need to ask NOT to be seated with others as the default is to fill the larger tables so as to consolidate the work area for the waiters. We've never been offered a choice; just led to a table with open seats. I'm sure if you do ask for a table for two though it would be accomodated.

I love breakfast in the MDR. My kids are late sleepers and it is my "me time" and a great way to start the day. You can dine alone if you prefer that, or ask to be seated with other people as you are usually not at your regular table.[/quote]

Actually you'll need to ask NOT to be seated with others as the default is to fill the larger tables so as to consolidate the work area for the waiters. We've never been offered a choice; just led to a table with open seats. I'm sure if you do ask for a table for two though it would be accomodated.

They always ask us if we mind sharing with other people, we always share though. You can meet interesting people that way . :)

I have usually enjoyed breakfast in the MDR, but on our last cruise, service was not only slow but almost not there at all. But, in regards to the hours of the MDR for breakfast, the hours change to allow for shore excursions. If the ship docks at 8, it is more than likely that the MDR will open at 7. If the ship docks at 9, they probably would open at 8. Yes it is true about the Benedicts-order Hollandaise on the side, that all said, I had some neat treats at the buffet for breakfast on our last cruise. A deep fried hard boiled egg, and mixed sausages with taters and onions. YUM!

Only problems I've had in MDR are the waffles. They've been served cold with warm syrup which I guess they think will melt the butter :eek:

I love the scrambled egg beaters which are always served hot. Great made to order omelets. Love the hot chocolate and pineapple juice.

MDR breakfast is so relaxing.

No one has really addressed kids in the Dining Room, so I will. There isn't a kids menu for breakfast or lunch in the MDR--they order off the regular menu. However, the breakfast menu is full of cereal, eggs, waffles, etc. and the lunch menu has ye ole cheeseburger everyday (if you think your kids would be down for that). My niece (4) had no issue finding food to eat for breakfast, but lunch was more of an adventure since she knew there was pizza seven decks up.This recent cruise with five in our group was the first time we've never been smushed with other people, but normally we have to ask to be sat by ourselves if we chose.

I have done both, and would have to admit I enjoy the breakfast in the MDR more. First of all you do not have to deal with getting in line to get your food. Thus, it does seem more relaxing. I still do both, but if you have never tried breakfast in the MDR, just make a point to do so, and you can see how you feel about it. It's nice that on most ships you have this choice.

Absolutely MDR for me. I love just sitting, relaxing, and meeting new peeps over a few cups of coffee or hot tea. And if you don't like something or it isn't cooked right just send it back...honest there is no charge and they do it with a smile. I am almost always the last one sitting so I do bring my daily "book" and I get a little me time...I let the waiter know that a warm up on my coffee is sufficient and they don't need to cater to me.

Archived