Any of the cruiselines cancelling tours due to Ukraine probs??

alexandra cruiser

did you ever contact the above Viking rep as suggested?No help?

Better to lose JUST the $200 than to pay for whole thing and THEN have to cancel.

Maybe you can switch to some other cruise at that time?Last minute ,I know,but ???

Hope you re working with a TA,and they can help.

Hard to get your plans and hopes on one cruise and then POOF.right?:confused:

did you ever contact the above Viking rep as suggested?No help?

Better to lose JUST the $200 than to pay for whole thing and THEN have to cancel.

Maybe you can switch to some other cruise at that time?Last minute ,I know,but ???

Hope you re working with a TA,and they can help.

Hard to get your plans and hopes on one cruise and then POOF.right?:confused:

Oh, so true about getting ones hopes and dreams and then POOF.

I read the cancellation policy very carefully, and it says after 121 days that the cancellation fee is a percentage of the FULL FARE. That really scared me as we paid in full but on a 2 for1 price, which is not the full listed fare. I figure that $100 per person plus the interest on the money for several months, is not to bad a price to pay for getting out without higher economic losses. Although, I would have liked to have delayed that decision a bit, until more was known. I do have a confirming email indicating that I only owe $100/person and that the rest will be refunded within 30 days.

The real people I talked to at Viking were quite nice and customer focused. It was the people who sent emails and who established policy that seem to be the problem. But that seems to be the case for many corporations and front line versus corporate management perspectives.

While we still want to go, it is becoming pretty obvious that nothing is really going to be known until say June or July. The main vote on the new Ukrainian government is mid to late May, so the new Ukrainian government will not really take power until early June. Russia looks like they will continue to sponsor agitators within eastern Ukraine, which could complicate election results. So even in early June things still may not be settled.

In the mean time, it is becoming clear that Russian visa requirements are going to be imposed. See my post and link to a Kiev on-line news story on Crimea visa requirements. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=42331994&postcount=966

What that means to me is that without a Russian visa (or a change in Russian law) travel between Crimea (Russia) and the Ukraine will at best be complex this summer. Unless some government agency in Russia acts quickly to provide cruise ship exemptions to Visa requirements on guided tours, like is done in St. Petersburg and a limited number of named ports, it will be difficult for US & EU passengers (according to the newspaper article). If you have a Russian visa things could be different.

I feel sorry for the people in Crimea, Ukraine and Russia that depend on tourism for their living. It is likely that cruiseship companies will also bear some of the financial burden. Hopefully, passengers will be able to protect themselves from some of the costs and risks.

I also read a Moscow Times web article on tourism in St. Petersburg and Russia and it implied that a lot of EU & Americans are canceling trips to Russia because of fear over what might happen militarily. This makes sense to me in light of Russian threats and boarder exercises from Finnland, Estonia, Lithuania, Moldovia, etc. After reading the article, my wife checked the Viking Cruise ship bookings and found that all cabin classes had not yet filled, so Viking may not be filling its river cruise ships early.

That implies that there could be last-minute opportunities, if the situation improves dramatically. As you said, there might be an opportunity to still take this, but in all likelihood, I doubt that the dust will settle early enough to feel comfortable taking a multi-thousand dollar cancellation bet.

To others planning a trip to the Crimea, good luck and I sincerely mean that.

Edited by robert32asp

I contacted my travel insurer about our situation if we don't proceed with the payment for this cruise when the total falls due in early May (we currently have $3,000 deposit "out there") and we react to the advices from our government regarding travel to the Crimea (DO NOT TRAVEL) or the Ukraine (RECONSIDER YOUR NEED TO TRAVEL) and do not proceed with the full payment:

"Thank you for your email.

We note that regrettably we are unable to provide any cover for cancellations/amendments for the below as it falls within the below policy exclusion;

General Exclusions

We Will Not Pay For:

3. Claims arising as a result of war, invasion, act of foreign enemy, hostilities (whether war be declared or not) civil war, rebellion, revolution, insurrection or military or usurped power.

Please do not hesitate to contact us should you require further assistance.":mad:

Doesn't leave a lot of doubt!

Hello tozerco,

I contacted my travel insurer about our situation if we don't proceed with the payment for this cruise when the total falls due in early May (we currently have $3,000 deposit "out there") and we react to the advices from our government regarding travel to the Crimea (DO NOT TRAVEL) or the Ukraine (RECONSIDER YOUR NEED TO TRAVEL) and do not proceed with the full payment:

"Thank you for your email.

We note that regrettably we are unable to provide any cover for cancellations/amendments for the below as it falls within the below policy exclusion;

General Exclusions

We Will Not Pay For:

3. Claims arising as a result of war, invasion, act of foreign enemy, hostilities (whether war be declared or not) civil war, rebellion, revolution, insurrection or military or usurped power.

Please do not hesitate to contact us should you require further assistance.":mad:

Doesn't leave a lot of doubt!

I understand that this must bemaddening. One thinks one can sit back and relax, one is insured against any mishaps before and during a cruise... and it turns out not to be true.

Have you read the small print of your cruise company i.e. the general terms and conditions? Normally at the back of any brochure but also online with most companies I should think.

I mean, as regards paying the full sum... will this be deducted from your account or do you actively send it?

Your insurance cover and the terms of your contract with the cruise company are two different matters.

Regularly check the travel advice by your foreign office. Ukraine and the Crimean peninsula have two differing stages of warning at the moment.

And remember the visa situation is complicated, easier for Europeans than for those from other countries.

What happens if you folks apply for a visa now and are not allowed into Ukraine in May or June, how will the cruise companies and insurers react? :confused:

notamermaid

As I am not familiar with airlines, I was wondering where you fly into?

Sevastopol is more than just tricky at the moment.

As of 3 April European Airlines have been given an official warning as regards the safety of air traffic over the Crimean peninsula.

Will this be sorted out quickly?

notamermaid

I got a very pleasant surprise in my email today. It was a very nice guesture by Viking and one that didn't cost them much ($200) and yet impressed both my wife and myself. There may be a Viking cruise in the future, but if so, I will look carefully, for geo-political stability.

Thank you for submitting your cancellation request. Viking has approved waiving the cancellation fees, so you will be receiving a full refund. The refund will be electronically sent to the bank account used for E-check. Accounting will process this refund in two to four weeks.

Kind regards,

We tried weeks ago to get Viking to switch us to a different cruise using the money we paid for the Ukraine trip (due to leave June 9th). They refused and said to do that we would have to pay the cancellation fee (at this point 35% of the cost). We are waiting to hear anything from them. One other river cruise company (Value) has already cancelled their trips for May and June and offered a full refund. I can't believe Viking is so difficult to deal with.

We were taking the Kiev to Odessa River cruise with "Smartours". Trip was canx, refund check has already been deposited. And FYI....the trip was almost identical (Smartours was a day longer) and little more than 50% of the price of Viking!

.the trip was almost identical (Smartours was a day longer) and little more than 50% of the price of Viking!

It is about the ship, not the trip. They added balconies and totally refurbished Viking Lomonosov this winter. Last year Viking's Ukraine cruise price was 50% less than this year.

Hello,

I saw the very clear statement by Value on its website.

We tried weeks ago to get Viking to switch us to a different cruise using the money we paid for the Ukraine trip (due to leave June 9th). They refused and said to do that we would have to pay the cancellation fee (at this point 35% of the cost). We are waiting to hear anything from them. One other river cruise company (Value) has already cancelled their trips for May and June and offered a full refund. I can't believe Viking is so difficult to deal with.

How Viking does it at the moment you can read in this article:

http://www.travelweekly.com/Cruise-Travel/Cruise-lines-and-tour-operators-cancel-visits-to-Ukraine-and-Crimea/

Have you had a look at the visa problems? I.e. Russia has tighter regulations as regards visas, if you are going to the Crimean peninsula you might be affected.

notamermaid

It is about the ship, not the trip. They added balconies and totally refurbished Viking Lomonosov this winter.

You're right...but in this instance for us ,it's about the itinerary and places we'll see, not the ship. For a $5K difference for a couple, we'll take an additional trip instead.

Not sure about river cruises but tried to book Oceania and was told that the itinerary that hit Sochi, Odessa, Yalta, was now being changed to Turkey, Turkey and more Turkey. Suffice it to say, I did not book it. Check with the cruise line because the brochure that I received in the mail did not reflect this change.

Very pleasant advice from Viking yesterday. They will be refunding our entire $3,000 deposit and providing discount vouchers for a future cruise. There were a couple of other offers but this was, in our view, the best for us. Good to see Viking have taken a very responsible approach and looked after their customers.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I am glad that Viking is treating some well. I hope Curlwalker doesn't just give up, but pushes a little bit for a more reasonable resolution.

As to complexities, I think that the following NYT newspaper article sort of outlines some of the visa/passport confusion that might await folks traveling to Crimea.

I am glad I canceled when I did. Hopefully in a year or so I can reschedule the trip I had dreamed of.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/22/world/europe/under-russia-life-in-crimea-grows-chaotic.html?hp&_r=0

• 4 weeks later...

OK, I have cancelled my Viking Footsteps of the Cossacks Black Sea/River cruise. I had dreamed about that cruise for quite a while. I hope that depending on the outcome of the elections next week that next year or the year after may be an opportunity to see at least some of the stops.

While my travel plans for this year are finalized, I am still thinking about where my wife and I may go next year. The first "Unkrainian" Viking River cruise left May 7th or 9th, so there should be some feedback as to if they went to different ports, cancelled or what happened.

Out of curiosity, I would like to know. When I do a Google search on cruises to the Crimea, I can't find anything much more current than late March 2014 or early April. What I did read was that the tourist season n the Crimea is fizzling and there will be economic consequences to those in the tourist industry.

Any direct information or articles you could share would be appreciated.

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

Viking has taken their ship the Sineus and is now offerring 2014 sailing with the following destinations.

Explore the beautifully preserved architectural treasures of Bucharest and then take the mighty Danube River to the Black Sea. Sail through the Danube Delta, a nature lover's paradise and home to more than 300 bird species. Tour Odessa, built on the site of the ancient Greek colony Odessos, and Nessebar, featuring relics like the Greek acropolis and quaint 19th-century wooden houses. What's more, you'll frame your magnificent cruise with overnight stays in Bucharest, Romania's cosmopolitan capital, and Istanbul, where East meets West on the glorious shores of the Bosphorus Strait.

• 2 months later...

We are scheduled to go in the Viking Sineus sept. 7 from Bucharest with 2 days in Odessa. 2 Viking reps told me there's no trouble there but I should write a letter...very nervous...no travel insurance....any ideas?

I think you will find virtually all travel insurers exclude "war, insurrection or invasion". That pretty well covers whatever is happening in the Ukraine right now. At this late stage I'd just take the cruise and don't worry about it.

BTW, we were originally due to sail on 4 September when Viking cancelled.

We are scheduled to go in the Viking Sineus sept. 7 from Bucharest with 2 days in Odessa. 2 Viking reps told me there's no trouble there but I should write a letter...very nervous...no travel insurance....any ideas?

Just a note re.my river cruise.We spent 2 days in Bucharest and 1 day in Constanta.Did NOT go to Odessa so not sure about the safety there,sorry.But we felt safe and had a great time in these 2 cities.

Is it possible to just stay on boat if you feel uncomfortable,not sure of your itinerary.We took Scenic and it was just superb.

Good luck.

We are also traveling on Sept. 7, Viking Sineus. Our flight is out of O'Hare. We live north of GR. No travel insurance here either. This was a last minute trip for us, but we have travelled with Viking in the past. I think we will be perfectly fine.

It is in Viking's best interest to keep its passenger's safe. If the situation in Odessa changes, you can rest assured that Viking will change or cancel that port of call.

143655-1336808695-1.jpg