Getting to Liseberg from the port

Will be on Jewel in July and promised my 9 year old that he can be "in charge" on one port. Since he is a huge amusement park fan and we have to leave Copenhagen too early to get the full enjoyment of Tivoli we are planning on spending our day in Gothenberg at Liseberg. Can anyone tell me the best way to get there? I haven't figured out how far from the port it is so don't know if we need taxi, bus, train or what.

We kicked around the same idea but the weather was lousy that day. Only bad day of the 12 so we were ok with it.

From what I found out, one option is to take the Red Line Tram from Nordstan (Central Train Station) to Liseberg.

You must have a ticket to board before you get on and you can purchase them anywhere you see a "Vasttraffik" sign such as 7-11 or Presbyran (news stands). I would imagine there would be a kiosk at the station.

Trams run about every 10 minutes. Tickets appeared to cost about $2.50 each way.

If you don't here from a local try the TA board.

Sheal

Hi,

I am by no means an expert on Gothenburg, but I have been there several times on work. On one occasion, I stayed in an hotel across the street from Liseberg. Every morning, I walked from the hotel to the Germany ferry terminal and back again in the evening. The main part of the route is along the length of Avenyn, the city's principal street. From memory, it would have taken me around 25-30 minutes to get from Liseberg to the port area.

There are buses or trams from Avenyn to Liseberg. I do not know where the cruise ships berth in relation to the ferry terminals and with a nine year old it might be best to take a taxi. Before going to Gothenburg for the first time, I was advised by Swedish colleagues always to ask the driver what the fare would be before entering a taxi. Apparently, overcharging of the unwary is not unknown.

One evening, in a moment of alcohol fuelled bravado, I was persuaded to go on one of Liseberg's coaster rides. It was definitely not Balder, the biggest and most fearsome of the coasters. It was five minutes of sheer terror which culminated in my spectacles flying off my face, never to be seen again. However, the ride was full of young children who were having a ball, so your child will probably love it :D

Dermot

Thanks for the info! I will catalog it with all of our trip stuff. We are pretty comfortable with trams/busses whatever as long as we have some idea where we are going, and appreciate the heads up if we do the taxi.

Dermot, I hear your pain, but he fears nothing! I have seen him ride the most terrifying, upside down, spin you a million miles an hour, etc rides until I thought his little head would come off....he loves them all. I do my best to keep up but sometimes have to sit it out; not from fear but motion sickness. There is nothing less fun at an amusement park for a kid than a mom in the bathroom throwing up:o

Archived