Little French Key vs Maya Key

hsmcruise

If you are going for the snorkeling experience, I would pick Maya Key. The snorkeling is simply amazing right there.

They do have a reef at Little French Key, but you have to pay extra for them to take you out on their boat to see it (right off the island directly in front of it) or you can take a canoe out there. I didn't get to do it, but I hear it's decent. However, I can't compare it to Maya Key, which I know is extremely awesome.

I have reviews from both places in my signature line if you are interested. :)

If you are going for the snorkeling experience, I would pick Maya Key. The snorkeling is simply amazing right there.

They do have a reef at Little French Key, but you have to pay extra for them to take you out on their boat to see it (right off the island directly in front of it) or you can take a canoe out there. I didn't get to do it, but I hear it's decent. However, I can't compare it to Maya Key, which I know is extremely awesome.

I have reviews from both places in my signature line if you are interested. :)

Thanks mitsugirly! From our past conversations and some of your later posts I have decided on Maya Key, I am sure we will enjoy it!

Thanks mitsugirly! From our past conversations and some of your later posts I have decided on Maya Key, I am sure we will enjoy it!

Have a great time. I think it's well worth it. The snorkeling is just so amazing there. Probably one of the best I have been to. :)

I'm trying to decide between maya key and LFK. I know they both have great snorkeling and beaches, but what are the differences between the animals? My kids are interested in seeing different animals and taking pictures holding them. Thanks!

I'm trying to decide between maya key and LFK. I know they both have great snorkeling and beaches' date=' but what are the differences between the animals? My kids are interested in seeing different animals and taking pictures holding them. Thanks![/quote']

Maya Key has a lot more different types of animals: jaguar, alligator, parrots, different types of monkeys, peccary, leopards, cougar, different types of birds and so on. However, you can't hold any of those. They do have a guy that comes around with a monkey that you can hold, but he walks along the beach showing you it and tells you what time to meet over in front of the monkey island and people can take turns holding it.

At Little French Key, they have different types of birds, parrots that talk to you, different monkeys, deer, a miniature pony that runs free on the island, and a jaguar (which you could hold when it was a baby back in March, but I'm not sure now). However, they do have a monkey cage that you can go in (it had about 4 monkeys there when we were there) and you can hold those monkeys. When we were there, they had a baby monkey that was just adorable.

So a little different experience depending on which one you go to. :)

Maya Key has a lot more different types of animals: jaguar, alligator, parrots, different types of monkeys, peccary, leopards, cougar, different types of birds and so on. However, you can't hold any of those. They do have a guy that comes around with a monkey that you can hold, but he walks along the beach showing you it and tells you what time to meet over in front of the monkey island and people can take turns holding it.

At Little French Key, they have different types of birds, parrots that talk to you, different monkeys, deer, a miniature pony that runs free on the island, and a jaguar (which you could hold when it was a baby back in March, but I'm not sure now). However, they do have a monkey cage that you can go in (it had about 4 monkeys there when we were there) and you can hold those monkeys. When we were there, they had a baby monkey that was just adorable.

So a little different experience depending on which one you go to. :)

Mitsugirly, this is probably an odd question, but do you know where the animals at Little French Key come from?? I am vehemently opposed to animals being taken from their natural habitat to be kept in cages or on chains for the amusement of tourists (I often wonder what people think happens to those cute little jaguar and panther cubs that you can pay to get your picture taken with in Playa Del Carmen, for example, when they get too big to handle safely…). I understand that Maya Key runs an animal sanctuary of sorts, and many of their animals came to them having been rescued from smugglers, abusive situations, etc. Although it still sickens me to see these animals in cages, I understand and respect that they have to go somewhere - especially if too young or too tame to release back into the wild.

I can’t, however, find any similar information regarding the animals at LFK. You seem very knowledgeable about these two places, so I thought you might have some info.

Mitsugirly, this is probably an odd question, but do you know where the animals at Little French Key come from?? I am vehemently opposed to animals being taken from their natural habitat to be kept in cages or on chains for the amusement of tourists (I often wonder what people think happens to those cute little jaguar and panther cubs that you can pay to get your picture taken with in Playa Del Carmen, for example, when they get too big to handle safely…). I understand that Maya Key runs an animal sanctuary of sorts, and many of their animals came to them having been rescued from smugglers, abusive situations, etc. Although it still sickens me to see these animals in cages, I understand and respect that they have to go somewhere - especially if too young or too tame to release back into the wild.

I can’t, however, find any similar information regarding the animals at LFK. You seem very knowledgeable about these two places, so I thought you might have some info.

Little French Key is exactly the same as Maya Key. Their animals are rescue animals as well and they get them under the same circumstances as Maya Key. :)

I can't seem to locate anything on line that tells about the animals other than THIS page mentions them.

"When you get bored with that head over toward the main house and check out the onsite zoo to interact with rescued animals like a the spider monkeys, jaguars, and a pony."

I did speak with people working there (when they were building the new and bigger cage for the baby jaguar and they were telling me about the rescue animals). Their website does also does state rescue animals as well.

Their site (and they will tell you as well) that they are also an eco friendly place.

"We are very Eco friendly…we get most of our electricity from a wind turbine with zero carbon footprint… we collect all the rainwater from the roofs for daily usage and irrigation….our sewage system is a Pirhana, bio-digested closed loop system with Zero discharge to the sea or the Island….and we recycle to the fullest extend possible…. to keep the balance of the Ecosystem around us, our Island is only a day activity resort with a very small footprint since no sewage system, desalination system and or lager generators are required."

Edited by mitsugirly

Thanks Mitsugirly - I suspected it was most likely a rescue/sanctuary type situation, based on that information on their website. I've read it a few times, and it's quite impressive (ie. zero carbon footprint, zero discharge septic, wind turbines, collecting rainwater....). They are obviously very eco-responsible and environmentally conscious people.

Now to just decide between the two. :)

Thanks again for taking the time to respond.

For those of you who have been picked up at port & taken to LFK..have you felt safe at all times? This will be our 1st time to Roatan & LFK.. Thx.. :)

We have always felt safe in Roatan, whether picked up by a boat from the cruise ship for an excursion, or picked up in the port. Everyone has always been very friendly and not pushy.

I have been reading all the threads on Maya Key and LFK. Was all set to go to Maya key with cruise ship and now see they offer LFK as an excursion. Now I can't decide which we want to do. I don't know if DH will snorkel or not and really more like a sightseeing excursion for us.

So what do you think? Thanks for any comments!! I really need to get this booked soon.. I am afraid they will fill up.

I have been reading all the threads on Maya Key and LFK. Was all set to go to Maya key with cruise ship and now see they offer LFK as an excursion. Now I can't decide which we want to do. I don't know if DH will snorkel or not and really more like a sightseeing excursion for us.

So what do you think? Thanks for any comments!! I really need to get this booked soon.. I am afraid they will fill up.

Are you saying the cruise ships offer an excursion to Little French Key now? I'm confused. :confused:

Yes, Carnival just added LFK as an excursion a few days ago. I had decided on Maya Key, but when they added LFK, it made it a more difficult decision! We are going to stick to Maya Key excursion since it includes lunch and we really want the snorkeling at Maya Key. Also, I think Maya Key will be a boat ride from the port and a little closer than LFK, so our kids spend less time on a bus...........if I am wrong about that, someone let me know! I just really don't want to spend 45 minutes getting to our destination with our 4 kids, if it were just my hubby and I, it wouldn't matter.

Yes, Carnival just added LFK as an excursion a few days ago. I had decided on Maya Key, but when they added LFK, it made it a more difficult decision! We are going to stick to Maya Key excursion since it includes lunch and we really want the snorkeling at Maya Key. Also, I think Maya Key will be a boat ride from the port and a little closer than LFK, so our kids spend less time on a bus...........if I am wrong about that, someone let me know! I just really don't want to spend 45 minutes getting to our destination with our 4 kids, if it were just my hubby and I, it wouldn't matter.

Wonder if you can still book privately since Carnival is now offering?

Are you saying the cruise ships offer an excursion to Little French Key now? I'm confused. :confused:

Yelp carnival is offering an excursion. Just saw it. 4.5 hr excursion which incl 1.5 hrs transportation and 3 hrs at LFK. Wish it was a longer tour. We are in port 8-6.

Really want to go though and don't want to try on our own.

Have you seen the reviews lately of Maya Key? Beach area doesn't sound great but, living close to the Gulf Coast, I know how the tides and time of year can change water. Sometimes it is beautiful, sometimes not.

Oh darn, what to do??

Have you seen the reviews lately of Maya Key? Beach area doesn't sound great but, living close to the Gulf Coast, I know how the tides and time of year can change water. Sometimes it is beautiful, sometimes not.

Oh darn, what to do??

I think sometimes when people go to these locations, they expect perfect white sand beaches and completely calm water all the time, so if conditions are not like that, the review tends to reflect that. We are going to Maya Key for the snorkeling, and maybe a place for my younger kids to splash around, but not expecting perfect sand beaches.....obviously a good snorkeling location will be a "rockier" area, but not necessarily a good beach like you would see on a postcard. I do like the option of the pool at Maya Key if water conditions are not great that day.

We LOVE the Gulf Coast, we are Midwesterners, so we try to get down to the Florida Gulf Coast as much as possible to escape the cold!

I have to ask...how much is Carnival charging to go to LFK and do they just offer 1 price/package? Just wondering because I know that Carnival charges more for the Maya Key package than NCL does, so just wondering what they are charging for LFK.

Ok, so I'll try to clear things up about the location. When we went, we went with NCL and Maya Key is RIGHT there basically 2 minutes from the ship.

You can see the distance in the following picture. I was standing at the island when I took this of the ship.

PC190603-L.jpg

When we cruised with Carnival and docked at Mahogany Bay, I took the following picture looking over at Maya Key. If you look toward the upper right of the picture, you will see the airplane runway. Follow it up and the island right after it is Maya Key.

P5140532-L.jpg

Google Earth distance from cruise ports:

maya%20key-L.jpg

Google earth distance from Mahogany to LFK. I took us "maybe" 15 minutes to get there if that.

lfk-L.jpg

Over all picture of distance between the two.

lfk%20maya%20key%20distance-L.jpg

I have to ask...how much is Carnival charging to go to LFK and do they just offer 1 price/package? Just wondering because I know that Carnival charges more for the Maya Key package than NCL does, so just wondering what they are charging for LFK.

Ok, so I'll try to clear things up about the location. When we went, we went with NCL and Maya Key is RIGHT there basically 2 minutes from the ship.

You can see the distance in the following picture. I was standing at the island when I took this of the ship.

PC190603-L.jpg

When we cruised with Carnival and docked at Mahogany Bay, I took the following picture looking over at Maya Key. If you look toward the upper right of the picture, you will see the airplane runway. Follow it up and the island right after it is Maya Key.

P5140532-L.jpg

Google Earth distance from cruise ports:

maya%20key-L.jpg

Google earth distance from Mahogany to LFK. I took us "maybe" 15 minutes to get there if that.

lfk-L.jpg

Over all picture of distance between the two.

lfk%20maya%20key%20distance-L.jpg

For Carnival LFK is $69.99 for adults, $49.99 for kids, but that doesn't include lunch(just transportation and entry), Maya Key with lunch is $74.99 adults, 44.99 for kids, or lunch plus snorkeling is $89.99 adults, $49.99 for kids.

Thanks for the locations of the ports to Maya Key............I hadn't looked at the map, but had an idea and it looks like a nice boat ride from Mahogany Bay!

In the description on the excursion it shows lunch included but doesn't mention that in the description. Lunch is really not a deal breaker for us but there is only 2 of us. Seems we could spend a longer day at Maya Key and come back when we want.. I still can't decide.. :o