Needs Suggestions

pippin_cat

Hello all, I really need suggestions on Cruise Excursions/tours for Picton and Wellington New Zealand. My friend and I have never been to this part of the world. We are big animal lovers and are seniors (not into anything extreme or strenuous). What are your recommendations? THANKS!!!!!

Picton is the gateway to the Marlborough wine region of NZ. We did a wine (and chocolate) tour booked with Royal Caribbean. Very enjoyable! Picton itself is pretty but apart from a few shops, there isn't a lot else to do.

Wellington - we've been here twice and did our own thing both times. A taxi from the cruise terminal to the cable car will give you a nice morning out. Go early.. It's popular! The cable car takes you up to a magnificent view of Wellington. There are gardens, a souvenir shop and a cafe at the top. We also enjoyed the Cuba Street area for a good coffee and great little cafes and speciality shops! Hope you have a wonderful time !

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

In Wellington, there was a ship shuttle from the dock which made 2 stops - 1st one was in the city centre and the 2nd one was directly opposite the laneway where the cable car departs from. Cost of shuttle was $10 return. If you do the cable car, I second the suggestion of doing it as soon as you disembark the ship. We did it at 9am and beat the crowds. Stunning views from the top and a nice walk down through the botanical gardens afterwards (took us about 15 mins but if you stroll it will take longer).

There are ship and private tours from Wellington that take you to the coast to see seals. We didn't do it but they get good reviews on Trip Advisor. We hope to do it next time.

Edited by aussielozzie18

In Wellington, there was a ship shuttle from the dock which made 2 stops - 1st one was in the city centre and the 2nd one was directly opposite the laneway where the cable car departs from. Cost of shuttle was $10 return. If you do the cable car, I second the suggestion of doing it as soon as you disembark the ship. We did it at 9am and beat the crowds. Stunning views from the top and a nice walk down through the botanical gardens afterwards (took us about 15 mins but if you stroll it will take longer).

There are ship and private tours from Wellington that take you to the coast to see seals. We didn't do it but they get good reviews on Trip Advisor. We hope to do it next time.

I support this recommendation of the cable car in Wellington. The walk down through the Botanical gardens and rose garden is really nice. It leads you into walking through an old cemetery, full of history dating back centuries.

We did the cable car too, fantastic!! We also loved TePaPa the museum.

The museum is very modern and its free entry. We went directly to the Museum from the botanical gardens. When we got to the bottom of the gardens, there was a tourist volunteer lady just standing around to help any tourists with general info. Upon asking her about getting to the museum, she directed us to the bus stop directly across the road. A bus came along about 2 minutes later and it took us straight to the museum (normal stops along the way but we didn't need to change buses). The bus driver was very helpful and let us know when we were approaching the stop that we needed to get off for the museum.