Private transfer from Osaka Pier to Kyoto

Sweetpea711423

Hi. Does anyone have information about hiring a private transfer (for my husband and me) from the cruise ship pier in Osaka (Tempozan Wharf) to Kyoto? Such things as name of reputable company(ies); approximate cost; approximate travel time. We will have a full day in port and want to spend as much time as possible that day in Koyoto (we arrive in port the previous evening and leave Osaka about noon the day after that).

Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to provide.

As mentioned in the Lonely Planet guide:

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/japan/kansai/osaka/activities/transportation-travel-services/private-arrival-transfer-osaka-airports-kyoto

It says Osaka airport to Kyoto, but I'm sure they wouldn't refuse a cruise terminal pickup.

The bullet train of course will get you there in a flash, if you're not set on a car service.

We found a private car and driver and for 3 of us it was a reasonable price using recommendations here and on Trip Advisor. Part of the reason for not too many guides in cars are that you must be licensed commercial driver and a licensed tour guide both to drive and guide. Add the big cost for car and fuel and reasonable gets a new definition. Apparently Osaka is a fair ways from Kyoto because there was added cost each way to be picked up at port and dropped back at port (the next day we will be in hotel in Kyoto). We have a 3 day package March 5-9, 2015.

How do you get from the ship to the bullet train? That is what I worried about -- many guides would meet us at Kyoto and guide us but my first few hours of Japan I wanted "hand-holding".:)

Sweetpea -- love that name as that is what I called my young students when I couldn't remember a name quickly enough!

The name of the guide I am using is Takakazu. He formerly worked for a large international company as a limo driver/guide. He gets excellent reviews. The email that he replied on is akirafd at gmail dot com. More details are in a post on Kyoto guides Jan. 2014 and you can find it by search function on this forum putting Takakazu Kyoto guide in the search box. Sorry I don't know how to link it today:o

We found a private car and driver and for 3 of us it was a reasonable price using recommendations here and on Trip Advisor. Part of the reason for not too many guides in cars are that you must be licensed commercial driver and a licensed tour guide both to drive and guide. Add the big cost for car and fuel and reasonable gets a new definition. Apparently Osaka is a fair ways from Kyoto because there was added cost each way to be picked up at port and dropped back at port (the next day we will be in hotel in Kyoto). We have a 3 day package March 5-9, 2015.

How do you get from the ship to the bullet train? That is what I worried about -- many guides would meet us at Kyoto and guide us but my first few hours of Japan I wanted "hand-holding".:)

A regular taxi from the port to the Train Station is very easy. That said, you also need to get from the Kyoto Station to the sites a car is your fastest option.

Thank you, everyone, for your very helpful replies.

Bowie MeMe, might I ask you to update your reply after your March 2015 experience with Mr. Takakazu? That would be very helpful.

Thanks

Sweetpea711423 (Bowie MeMe, I also like the name sweetpea - it's what my husband calls me!)

• 2 weeks later...

My quote for the car and driver has extra fees each way for picking up at the port -- due to tolls and time to drive to port from Kyoto. I have not looked at the map or considered what the reason for the fee --it is there and if I want the comfort of being delivered door to door that is what I pay (not much of a bargainer here:o) The day that we are picked up in the hotel in Kyoto and not at the port does not have the fee. It is 10,000 JPY for pick up/delivery each way plus toll then his hourly rate for car and driver. Our fee is approx. $590 for 7 hour day for 3 people to and from Osaka. The 5 hour tour off AZ Quest from Osaka (shore excursion) was $289 per person or approximately $870.

Japan looks expensive.:p

My quote for the car and driver has extra fees each way for picking up at the port -- due to tolls and time to drive to port from Kyoto. I have not looked at the map or considered what the reason for the fee --it is there and if I want the comfort of being delivered door to door that is what I pay (not much of a bargainer here:o) The day that we are picked up in the hotel in Kyoto and not at the port does not have the fee. It is 10,000 JPY for pick up/delivery each way plus toll then his hourly rate for car and driver. Our fee is approx. $590 for 7 hour day for 3 people to and from Osaka. The 5 hour tour off AZ Quest from Osaka (shore excursion) was $289 per person or approximately $870.

Japan looks expensive.:p

Japan can be expensive. Especially if you want a guide and/or a driver.

If you want to save a lot of money you could take trains part or all of the way to Kyoto. (as little as $10 each way). This is not overly complicated, or at least not much more so than taking the subway in New York for example.

It is very easy to search public transport options in Japan on Google maps.

For example here are directions from Cruise Pier to Kyoto which shows a 55 minute ride for about $12: http://*******/maps/YItto