Silver Glapagos Chronocles

joek

As with many things ability varies. On our cruise some of the older people did quite well. We were they! I did not do a couple of the very rocky excursions, but my DH, who is 73 and our friends did. I think pace can also vary based on guides. My DH is not a professional photographer, but takes numerous, excellent pictures and did not complain about being rushed.

Our zodiac staff and naturalists made sure there were 2 people helping each persona get on and off at the ship. I concur with OP that it can be very dangerous with the up and down movement. I did hit my shin once on the step.

In the evening we saw people very casually dressed, especially at The Grill. They tended to wear shorts up there, or even some in expedition clothes in the evening. My guess is this varies by cruise composition.

I did write a review, for what it's worth and it has now been posted. Again, so much is subjective, but this my view of the week we were on beginning June 7. It was our first Silversea Cruise so. I am not comparing it to any previous one.

Thanks to Liz, joek and findacruise,

You have certainly reassured me about the zodiacs. Having been on the Silver Expedition in Antarctica, I remember the crew being so helpful with the passengers. I am going in with the expedition mindset, not as a luxury cruiser. I can't wait to see the Silver Galapagos and all that the islands have to offer!!

As of Tuesday, I can now say that I am going NEXT MONTH!!

Thanks to Liz, joek and findacruise,

You have certainly reassured me about the zodiacs. Having been on the Silver Expedition in Antarctica, I remember the crew being so helpful with the passengers. I am going in with the expedition mindset, not as a luxury cruiser. I can't wait to see the Silver Galapagos and all that the islands have to offer!!

As of Tuesday, I can now say that I am going NEXT MONTH!!

The Galapagos are like no where else we have been. Truly pictures cannot convey the actual experience. Now seriously thinking about Antarctica if can physically find a way to deal with the cold. Enjoy your adventure.

Joanna

Thanks for all the great info, Liz! And the daily chronicles were a great addition.

You did 2 weeks right? Any comments about the North Central vs Western itineraries?

thanks,

Leslie

Based on my two week voyage, I would say that I saw more wildlife on the North Central itinerary. The western itinerary seemed to be more geared to scenery, although there certainly was wildlife.

If you have any special needs, wants, desires, contact Silversea well in advance of your cruise and they will do all to meet them. I know they went out of their way to meet my specific bottled water request. I would include specific beer, wine or liquor brands in this. At least, ask if they have what you want on board.

I did not snorkel, but the people who did complained of the cold water and the lack of things to see, with the exception of a single swim with the turtles time. BTW - A number of snorkelers ended up with jelly fish stings. I would definitely ask what I might see before any snorkel and wear something that will protect from the jelly fish.

Now, about Antarctica. If you are going to see icebergs and scenery, the 10 day cruise will work fine. If you want to see different kinds of penguins and other wildlife, I recommend the longer cruise that takes more time in the Falklands, Shetlands, etc.. Also know that the seas around Antarctica can be a LOT more variable than around the Galapagos. Take every seasickness preventative you can to Antarctica. You can end up with smooth sailing, but be prepared for really heavy seas. Definitely take dry bags or something to protect camera gear in the Zodiacs in Antarctica. Take Goretex clothing. I ended up in the bottom of a Zodiac filled with icy water, due to getting hit with a large wave. The Goretex worked to help keep me dry.

Based on my two week voyage, I would say that I saw more wildlife on the North Central itinerary. The western itinerary seemed to be more geared to scenery, although there certainly was wildlife.

If you have any special needs, wants, desires, contact Silversea well in advance of your cruise and they will do all to meet them. I know they went out of their way to meet my specific bottled water request. I would include specific beer, wine or liquor brands in this. At least, ask if they have what you want on board.

I did not snorkel, but the people who did complained of the cold water and the lack of things to see, with the exception of a single swim with the turtles time. BTW - A number of snorkelers ended up with jelly fish stings. I would definitely ask what I might see before any snorkel and wear something that will protect from the jelly fish.

Now, about Antarctica. If you are going to see icebergs and scenery, the 10 day cruise will work fine. If you want to see different kinds of penguins and other wildlife, I recommend the longer cruise that takes more time in the Falklands, Shetlands, etc.. Also know that the seas around Antarctica can be a LOT more variable than around the Galapagos. Take every seasickness preventative you can to Antarctica. You can end up with smooth sailing, but be prepared for really heavy seas. Definitely take dry bags or something to protect camera gear in the Zodiacs in Antarctica. Take Goretex clothing. I ended up in the bottom of a Zodiac filled with icy water, due to getting hit with a large wave. The Goretex worked to help keep me dry.

Thanks for your hints about Antatrica. I will keep those in mind as we contempate doing that cruise, especially for Dh, the photographer. We did the northern/eastern cruise, and nonepne we talked to had any problem with jellyfish. Maybe just lucky? They also said they saw many things and got to swim with the sea lions.

Joanna, I'm with 57. Antarctica is truly amazing. When we went, it really wasn't that cold. You bundle up so much before you go ashore on the zodiacs, you really don't notice the temperature.

Thanks to you and 57 varieties. I am more and more thinking about doing this. I have fibromyalgia and the cold makes it much worse, but I am thinking if we book one of the longer cruises with sea days, it would give my body a chance to rest up on baord and recover from the days out in the elements. Plus, I can choose to miss (hate to think of it) an occassional excusrsion. Penguins are my favorite so I think we need to book Fauklands, too.