Post-Cruise Hotel Check-in Time

nolegirl01

For those of you that booked a hotel stay right after your cruise, have you ever had any problems trying to check in so early at a hotel on disembarkation day? We booked a stay at a hotel in Barcelona post-cruise and our cruise docks at 5am on disembarkation day. I'm worried that us trying to check in at 6am or even 7am, they would either charge us a night or not let us into our room until check in time. Any one have any experiences with that? thank you!

You should be able to leave your bags at the hotel, and you may be able to check in, but it is highly unlikely that you will be able to get your room at that time. In all probability there will be someone in the room and they may not check out until 12 noon deadline.

Unless you book and prepay for the room for the previous night, then you will just have to hope for the best.

If having a room is important to you then I wouldn't leave it to chance.

Having booked into many hotels it will vary depending on how heavily booked the hotel or your room category is.

We usually plan on leaving our bags with the hotel. I contact them prior and check they have storage to do this. Then we go out exploring and come back around lunch time. Sometimes we can get in mid morning but around midday is a safer bet. If you need to wait in the lobby there has always been bathroom facilities that you can use.

If you need to get into the room by 6-7am I would think you would need to be very lucky to get in. I agree with VMax, if it is important to youI wouldn't leave it to chance and book the extra night.

Julie

We always take some gifts for the front desk, candy, men's ties... works like a charm..helps if you are a loyal hotel member too... i.e., Hilton, Marrriott... for spain. With a little charm... you can usually get in early if they are not over booked..

For those of you that booked a hotel stay right after your cruise, have you ever had any problems trying to check in so early at a hotel on disembarkation day? We booked a stay at a hotel in Barcelona post-cruise and our cruise docks at 5am on disembarkation day. I'm worried that us trying to check in at 6am or even 7am, they would either charge us a night or not let us into our room until check in time. Any one have any experiences with that? thank you!

I always make sure I am part of the last group to leave the ship, usually about 9:00 - 9:30 am. Take a taxi to the hotel. Leave your bags at front desk. They will hold them in a secure place, explore Barcelona, have lunch and return at check in time.

Or:

plan a tour with Barcelona Day tours with others from your roll call. I did this last summer. They pick the six of us up at the pier and we went to Monserrat for the morning and had lunch we were dropped off at our hotels in the afternoon. The driver held our luggage securely in the large van we had for the day tour.

I always make sure I am part of the last group to leave the ship, usually about 9:00 - 9:30 am. Take a taxi to the hotel. Leave your bags at front desk. They will hold them in a secure place, explore Barcelona, have lunch and return at check in time.

Or:

plan a tour with Barcelona Day tours with others from your roll call. I did this last summer. They pick the six of us up at the pier and we went to Monserrat for the morning and had lunch we were dropped off at our hotels in the afternoon. The driver held our luggage securely in the large van we had for the day tour.

I agree....Barcelona Day Tours for pick up upon disembark is an excellent idea. We are doing this upon our return on the Epic.

The tour price is very affordable too. I will post a review after our tour. Judy

We always take some gifts for the front desk, candy, men's ties... works like a charm..helps if you are a loyal hotel member too... i.e., Hilton, Marrriott... for spain. With a little charm... you can usually get in early if they are not over booked..

Bribery isn't going to help at all if the Hotel is fully booked. Check out time in Spanish hotels is 12.00 and then the rooms need to be cleaned.

I have been able to get into my room on arrival if to not high season. Otherwise I leave my luggage and go somewhere and return later.

Bribery at the front desk (or 'tipping' your room maid on arrival) will NOT get you any better service. Most Spanish hoteliers are very accommodating and, if the room is vacant, will let you have access as soon as you arrive without the need for 'gifts'.

However, the chances are you won't be able to get your key until 2 p.m. giving time for the room to be cleaned after a noon vacation by the previous guests. If you have to wait, you will be able to leave your luggage in a secure storage area until your room is ready.

Spain does not have a gratuity culture - it isn't expected and won't get you any benefit.

Edited by campolady

Thank you all for your responses! I definitely don't expect any special treatment I was just wondering if it was possible and what do most people do. I can't call the hotel and find out exactly since its an international number but I'll call once I'm there. Hopefully like you all said if the room is available they will let us in, if not I'll ask to store our luggage, no biggie. It's a Marriott hotel so me being a loyalty member hopefully will help my cause, if not it's no worries, I won't be too upset. Of course if they are sold out and there is nothing they can do then understandable. I didn't know that when the ship docks at 5am you have until 9-9:30am to leave, so we'll definitely take our sweet time! Thank you all!

Thank you all for your responses! I definitely don't expect any special treatment I was just wondering if it was possible and what do most people do. I can't call the hotel and find out exactly since its an international number but I'll call once I'm there. Hopefully like you all said if the room is available they will let us in, if not I'll ask to store our luggage, no biggie. It's a Marriott hotel so me being a loyalty member hopefully will help my cause, if not it's no worries, I won't be too upset. Of course if they are sold out and there is nothing they can do then understandable. I didn't know that when the ship docks at 5am you have until 9-9:30am to leave, so we'll definitely take our sweet time! Thank you all!

Just be aware i read from another OP that they arrived early at the hotel the room was not ready but the front desk attendant offered them another room they could have fine, but when they received the final bill it had another day included he did not tell them they would have to pay for the extra day, they spoke with the MGMT. but would not correct the bill. so be careful if they offer you a room if you arrive early you may be charged for a extra day.

Just be aware i read from another OP that they arrived early at the hotel the room was not ready but the front desk attendant offered them another room they could have fine, but when they received the final bill it had another day included he did not tell them they would have to pay for the extra day, they spoke with the MGMT. but would not correct the bill. so be careful if they offer you a room if you arrive early you may be charged for a extra day.

Oh wow thank you! I will be sure to ask them and make sure if they offer me another room. I would be upset to be charged another night just for a few hours difference. I will definitely keep this in mind, thank you for that!

You can always call Marriott and just ask them to add the Early Check-in code to your reservation to advise the hotel of your estimated arrival time. Baggage storage will be the most likely.

In the USA & Canada

Reservations1-888-236-2427Marriott Rewards Members1-801-468-4000

I even tried the book the night prior at Renaissance to guarantee an early arrival when I was arriving early after a Transatlantic on Liberty in April of 2013.

When my friend from Madrid arrived at just after midnight to check in the room for me the night prior to my arrival they had oversold the hotel. They walked the room to a distant AC Hotel that were new to Marriott at that time. While I had been contacted and went directly by taxi to the other hotel it was not in a proper location and the hotel was not of the same class.

I had booked with Priceline and they thought it was ok to walk me. It turned out to be a problem for them as I was also Marriott Gold. It turned out I got over $800 and a booking at another 5 star hotel at their expense.