Evening dress on the Eclipse

Minnie29

Just thinking about what to pack for our Med cruise on the Eclipse next month.

What do guests normally wear in the main dining room and specialty restaurants on nights other than Evening chic?

Thank you

I tended to wear a smart casual shirt with collar / polo shirt with trousers or chinos. My wife tended to go for a cocktail dress or trousers with a smart top - certainly didn't feel out of place wearing these.

You can wear what you want as long as it isn't shorts, tank tops, or baseball caps. Causal dress is self explanatory.:)

Dress code isn't Casual, it's Smart Casula and above. We've found the Eclipse ex Southampton to the Med to be quite dressy. Most people seem to make a bit if an effort most nights and touch more on Evening Chic.

Dress code isn't Casual, it's Smart Casula and above. We've found the Eclipse ex Southampton to the Med to be quite dressy. Most people seem to make a bit if an effort most nights and touch more on Evening Chic.

Well I don't agree with you. Smart causal or causal are pretty close. We were just in the Med and we didn't find the dress to be quite dressy. Maybe you wold like it that way, but the majority of passengers I observed on board were not "evening chic" as you put it.

Myself, I don't care if others wear slacks and an open shirt, maybe how others dress is important to you.

What do guests normally wear in the main dining room and specialty restaurants on nights other than Evening chic?

Thank you

Smart casual. This can be khaki type pants & a collared shirt(not t shirt)

Well I don't agree with you. Smart causal or causal are pretty close. We were just in the Med and we didn't find the dress to be quite dressy. Maybe you wold like it that way, but the majority of passengers I observed on board were not "evening chic" as you put it.

Myself, I don't care if others wear slacks and an open shirt, maybe how others dress is important to you.

Casual as in dressed for a "flea market"? Sorry, there's casual & then there's slovenly. Proper casual would be khaki type pants & a collared shirt. I feel(and many others as well)that a "polo" shirt really doesn't cut it at night. During the day shorts etc. are fine, but at night pax should show a little style sense.

If you're in the Med I would expect you to be in the Swimwear. I also didn't put " Evening Chic" Celebrity did. I personally couldn't care less what people wear, so don't assume I do, I was trying to answerthe posters question which clearly related to the Eclipse sailing from Southampton and evidently not the cruise you were just on as the Eclipse doesnt sail to the Med until late summer / autumn each year.

We have taken this specific cruise on the Eclipse three times. This cruise is likely to be mainly British cruisers on a relatively long cruise with an Average age well north of 50. Others have previously reported the ex Southampton Cruises on Eclipse to be dressier than other Celebrity cruises. This might be because many of the UK based cruiselines still retain the Formal Dress Code - Cunard, P and O, Fred Olsen, Cruuse and Maritime. Princess also still retains Formal night and therefore that is what many are already accustomed to.

Beiing ex UK, British travellers won't be hampered with flight luggage limits. Also, as. It's a sailing from Southampton you will spend 4 to 5 days of the cruise in the Atlantic which even in late summer / early autumn can be cold, wet and even foggy - so a suit might not feel as uncomfortable as it might sailing around the Greek Islands

Edited by DYKWIA

We cruised from Southampton in the Spring and are back on the Eclipse again in a couple of weeks.

Agree with DYKWIA, we did find smart casual was generally adhered to and evening chic well followed on our Southampton cruise. In the evenings generally I would say guests were a little better dressed than we have seen in the Med or the Caribbean. Not over the top dressed on smart casual nights but definitely adhering to the dress code.

Also like DYKWIA we don't particularly care about what others wear, each to his own, but like most folks we like to 'blend in'...I think this is what the OP is interested in.

Most smart casual nights gents were in smart trousers and open necked shirts. Most women in skirt or trousers and smart top (less sun dresses as one would expect). In summary the sort of outfits one would wear when visiting a nice restaurant. I usually avoid comments on dress code as they tend to become more about opinions than facts....my comments are based on what we observed on our last cruise from Southampton.

Edited by chemmo

Thank you

My husband generally wears jeans and a polo style shirt. I usually wear jeans or white pants with a pretty top.

My husband generally wears jeans and a polo style shirt. I usually wear jeans or white pants with a pretty top.

That is what we wear (we don't eat in MDR, but we do go to the elite cocktail hour each night) nightly...I guess we are considered slobs by some on this thread..that really hurts...no wait it really doesn't.

It's each to their own

My partner and I always enjoy making an effort on 'formal' nights. Only chance I get generally to wear black tie

On previous cruises (Celebrity included) we've seen a range of outfits and don't think anyone stands out, at either end of the spectrum

That said, we have seen some in clothes I wouldn't even do the gardening in but it makes for a good grin when looking at the photos for sale the next morning [emoji1]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

That is what we wear (we don't eat in MDR, but we do go to the elite cocktail hour each night) nightly...I guess we are considered slobs by some on this thread..that really hurts...no wait it really doesn't.

Love it! Great post.

A polo shirt doesn't cut it? C'mon, have you checked a calendar lately? Repeat after me. 2-0-1-7. Although I have to admit, I probably haven't seen more than 5000 Celebrity cruisers wearing polo shirts and khakis or jeans on Smart Casual nights.

We dress for our own tastes and comfort, not someone elses.

• 2 months later...

Hate generalities, but typically Americans will dress on the more casual side and Europeans will lean towards more dressy and sophisticated. Seems to be a cultural thing. We travel primarily on Silversea and since it is mostly European, we always step up our game...besides, what’s it hurt to look really nice for a couple hours?

Celebrity eliminated casual dress as a written dress code several years ago. The only dress code they have now is smart casual and evening chic.

Don't think the OP is asking what the dress code is but what people are wearing on a particular cruise. Dress varies by itinerary and it appears from this board that those on European cruises tend to dress more formal.

"Like"

There is absolutely nothing wrong with wearing a nice polo shirt and khakis for dinner. Anyone who wants to dress up more is welcome, but this meets the dress code and anything beyond that it simply someone else's taste (or judgment). No one should be castigated for following the rules. If you want a cruise line with rules for fancier clothing, then go find one, right!