Age of European River Cruises ??? Honeymoon

Masks38

Hello Mask38,

your latest post really helped us CC people to think that river cruising could be for you. For honeymooners you might like to look at booking a suite for that extra special thing but be aware that apart from a couple of extras your overall experience on the ship will be the same as anybody elses. You might be happiest with a French balcony if you want to be a little cost-conscious, I find it the best as you can look out onto the river and might not feel you have invested in a real balcony for nothing as you are not likely to spend much day in your cabin. "Aquarium class" is just above the water line, this might or might not be for you, you mostly see the swans and ducks going past then.

When I read "history and war" in your post I thought of Normandy. You might like to have a look at the cruises on the Seine. With Paris - city of love - and then sailing down the river to Normandy and its relatively recent war history sounds a good fit to me. People say the excursions to the landing beaches are very informative and moving. Be aware that because of authorities' restrictions in place in Paris, the 135m boats have to dock outside of Paris, usually in LePecq. The shorter boats including the new Uniworld one dock in Paris. The first reviews of the new Uniworld vessel are favourable.

But then, other rivers in Europe have plenty of history and war to learn about on a river cruise. And Asia should not be ignored in your plans either.

Perhaps a good agent can help you further with decision making. And make sure you mention "honeymoon" to see if the companies offer any special deals or little extras for you happy new-weds.

notamermaid

Since you mentioned Uniworld as a possibility, on Uniworld in a suite, you do get butler service. They do nice things like bring afternoon snacks and other room service. To our surprise our butlers even bought us a gift!

Another ship I would consider if I was you, would be the Crystal Mozart which is very new and looks absolutely AMAZING! There was someone here on Cruise Critic who reviewed her trip:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2481937

Since you mentioned Uniworld as a possibility, on Uniworld in a suite, you do get butler service. They do nice things like bring afternoon snacks and other room service. To our surprise our butlers even bought us a gift!

Another ship I would consider if I was you, would be the Crystal Mozart which is very new and looks absolutely AMAZING! There was someone here on Cruise Critic who reviewed her trip:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2481937

Good morning:).......is the suggestion for me?.....question for you, did I read on a thread somewhere that you are a

Chef?

...my dream cruise was a Mediterranean Cruise till I search the prices of the flights wow...
ALWAYS look at the true BOTTOM LINE. River cruises do pretty well at sticking to their list prices (or in the case of some lines sticking to their fake 2-for-1 prices), but they are continually adjusting their real price via free (or reduced price) air, free extensions, etc. Some lines include tips, some don't. Some include 24/7 drinks, some don't. Etc. Many Med cruises are expensive, but some are good deals (I did a 10 night Celebrity Eastern Med cruise for $700pp in a window cabin 4 years ago - I couldn't touch a river cruise for anything near that price). Yesterday I got back from a small ship (45 passenger) Med cruise; the cruise was not cheap but I was able to get direct from the airlines Washington DC-Nice/ Venice-Washington DC air for~$900pp which is pretty good for this time of year. Note that involved two on-way tickets which amazingly IMO were considerably cheaper than an open jaw ticket.

Thom

Originally posted by Masks38 ...my dream cruise was a Mediterranean Cruise till I search the prices of the flights wow...

A Med cruise on a mass market line such as Holland America, NCL, Carnival, RCCL, Princess, MSC or Celebrity would be considerably cheaper than a river cruise even with airfare. Air&Land&Hotel packages are also much cheaper than a river cruise. River cruises are great and some are almost all-inclusive, but the "free airfare" isn't really free. However, all the cruise lines (both ocean and river) can get discounted airfare to Europe - which is a lot less than you can get usually. The negative is they might put you through several stops or leave at inconvenient times.

So he's really into history and War he would love to go to Normandy I would love to see castles and museums and other historical places I like to see as much as I can. So what's the best time of year to go where the weather is still nice sunny and warm I was thinking September is that a good time. So trying to figure out which one is the best one to do for your first time which one would you suggest be in the most scenic and interesting and historical want to try for first time thanks. Opps when I met seniors I meant people in there 80s and 90s. We are still young at heart but we're not into big parties getting too old for that need our sleep time lol

I don't remember the exact age of the people on my cruise last year....some were probably in their 80's--90's but I don't

think that was the "majority"......

And to be honest, River Cruising is not Party cruising........not from my experience anyway.

Hello Mask38,

your latest post really helped us CC people to think that river cruising could be for you. For honeymooners you might like to look at booking a suite for that extra special thing but be aware that apart from a couple of extras your overall experience on the ship will be the same as anybody elses. You might be happiest with a French balcony if you want to be a little cost-conscious, I find it the best as you can look out onto the river and might not feel you have invested in a real balcony for nothing as you are not likely to spend much day in your cabin. "Aquarium class" is just above the water line, this might or might not be for you, you mostly see the swans and ducks going past then.

When I read "history and war" in your post I thought of Normandy. You might like to have a look at the cruises on the Seine. With Paris - city of love - and then sailing down the river to Normandy and its relatively recent war history sounds a good fit to me. People say the excursions to the landing beaches are very informative and moving. Be aware that because of authorities' restrictions in place in Paris, the 135m boats have to dock outside of Paris, usually in LePecq. The shorter boats including the new Uniworld one dock in Paris. The first reviews of the new Uniworld vessel are favourable.

But then, other rivers in Europe have plenty of history and war to learn about on a river cruise. And Asia should not be ignored in your plans either.

Perhaps a good agent can help you further with decision making. And make sure you mention "honeymoon" to see if the companies offer any special deals or little extras for you happy new-weds.

notamermaid

Thank you yes one of my friends sister is a travel agent so I'm going to see what she can do for us and get me more info we're talking about last night I think he's really into the idea Paris I love to see Paris that be awesome.

Edited by Masks38

I think that is very cool:D:):D...........I went to a culinary school many years ago....it was more like a vocational school

that offered a culinary arts division.

I think that is very cool:D:):D...........I went to a culinary school many years ago....it was more like a vocational school

that offered a culinary arts division.

Thank you. It is a lot of fun. I'm constantly challenging myself and trying new techniques and different cuisines. I went to college and grad school (business) then the ICE. I was on a wine buying trip to Napa in March and I couldn't help but think how I would have loved going to the CIA but it didn't exist in back then. Did you ever cook professionally?

So he's really into history and War he would love to go to Normandy I would love to see castles and museums and other historical places I like to see as much as I can. So what's the best time of year to go where the weather is still nice sunny and warm I was thinking September is that a good time. So trying to figure out which one is the best one to do for your first time which one would you suggest be in the most scenic and interesting and historical want to try for first time thanks. Opps when I met seniors I meant people in there 80s and 90s. We are still young at heart but we're not into big parties getting too old for that need our sleep time lol

I found the Danube to be the most scenic of the ones I've cruised, and if you chose an itinerary that went to Nuremberg, you could add a little more history. The Rhine has the most Castles, but the Danube has a fair number.

September is more likely to have low water, which has turned some sailings into bus trips. You may want to consider early season instead....April....

Robin

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you. It is a lot of fun. I'm constantly challenging myself and trying new techniques and different cuisines. I went to college and grad school (business) then the ICE. I was on a wine buying trip to Napa in March and I couldn't help but think how I would have loved going to the CIA but it didn't exist in back then. Did you ever cook professionally?

No......I never got to that point and the school I went to? As I mentioned it was nothing like the CIA or anything of that nature.

It was a vocational/technical center........I had previously gone to Florida State (years before) but college and I did not mesh.

I went overseas to live for about a year and then I came back and was still looking for a niche........I worked in restaurants

for a long time but never in a Chef capacity.

Life can be funky that is for sure.......I have now been working at the same place for nearly 27 years.........NOTHING to

do with food:eek:

Oh my, I am sorry for getting so off topic from the original poster's question.........forgive me.

No......I never got to that point and the school I went to? As I mentioned it was nothing like the CIA or anything of that nature.

It was a vocational/technical center........I had previously gone to Florida State (years before) but college and I did not mesh.

I went overseas to live for about a year and then I came back and was still looking for a niche........I worked in restaurants

for a long time but never in a Chef capacity.

Life can be funky that is for sure.......I have now been working at the same place for nearly 27 years.........NOTHING to

do with food:eek:

Oh my, I am sorry for getting so off topic from the original poster's question.........forgive me.

Lois,

Did you know Dr. Charles Speilberger at Florida State? He was one of my father's best friends.

Sorry to the OP about getting off topic.

Lois,

Did you know Dr. Charles Speilberger at Florida State? He was one of my father's best friends.

Sorry to the OP about getting off topic.

Nope, never heard of him.......this was back in 1976:eek:

Nope, never heard of him.......this was back in 1976:eek:

He was there from 1968 to 1972 then he went to USF.

http://psychology.usf.edu/faculty/cspielb/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Spielberger

I remember what an extremely nice and interesting man he was - very intelligent and accomplished and very much a forward thinker also a great advocate for women.

A river cruise could be lots of fun for you. We're in your age demographic and we enjoy them.

Our perspective is a little different in that we think that river cruises are actually pretty relaxing. We usually go full throttle when we vacation independently. So a river cruise, with "only" one or two guided excursions per day, and someone else doing the cooking, is a very relaxing break for us. YMMV.

Take a look at some of the day by day blogs available on this site. Read the day to day details, and you may get an idea as to whether you'd like a river cruise.

Hope you enjoy it, whatever you choose!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

Mask38,

Paris has some great museums and I find the Dome des Invalides (Napoleon's resting place) quite intriguing. For castles the Rhine is a little denser, I mean there are more in a certain area than there are in France. The highest density in the world is the castle stretch of which the Northern end is Koblenz. If you flew into Frankfurt and made your way through the Rhine valley you could head to Paris from Cologne on the train, the Thalys is the nicest I find. Train travel is easy and comfortable in Europe. I love the Thalys first class, but second class is also a nice experience. If you cannot do this (or would like to focus on France) you could have a look at the website that lists the castles in France. Perhaps one or two would be possible in combination with a river cruise. But then there is always Versailles Palace...

The Danube is also nice for castles and palaces, I very much enjoyed Melk abbey and the palaces of King Ludwig are great (but that would have to be pre- or post-cruise). Somehow, though, I think the two of you might be happier in France.

Whichever you choose, have a great time.

notamermaid

• 2 weeks later...

Really just depends on your personality and what you are looking for. You might be on the young side, but if you are open to meeting new people and enjoy talking to a variety of people, you will have a blast.

We just took our kids 13 and 15 on a river cruise this past Christmas market season. They were the only ones under 20, but had a fantastic time and are anxious to go again on another river cruise. We had people come up to us and ask why our kids were not rolling their eyes. LOL They had left their kids the same age at home.

In my 20s, I chose to do a bus tour of Italy. I specifically did not choose the 18-35 year old provider because I am not a night person and would have been miserable if everyone wanted to stay up all night and was too hung over the next day to see anything. I lucked out. There were 2 families traveling with their 20-something children on my journey which made the trip really amazing. I could have been by myself too and know I would have still loved the trip.