What to Pack for a River Cruise in Europe

LauraS

I must admit, I ALWAYS disagree with any packing list that includes a purse for a woman, especially one that recommends a cross body bag with a slash proof strap. Women are always better off using a travel garment with hidden and secured pockets and carrying no bag, just from the physical standpoint of not hauling around something heavy all day long on one side of the body. In addition, the cross body bags with the slash proof straps are very dangerous should the woman be assaulted by a purse snatcher, even more so if the purse snatcher is on a motorized vehicle as this could actually result in serious injury (broken collar bone or neck) or death via dragging. Also those slash proof bags are quite heavy due to the metal cable inside. It is always better health wise and safety wise to put things in hidden pockets and travel without a purse. If it is not easy to figure out where someone's valuables are pickpockets move on to easier prey.

Good packing advice although it's hard to travel 12-13 hours wearing boots. If you fill them with socks and other items and if they aren't super heavy then you can get away with packing them. Short booties might be a better option.

I think a small lightweight crossbody is okay especially if you are in the relative safety of a tour group from the ship. Not sure how extra garments with hidden pockets would work in hot weather. I carry a small 6x9 bag with a chain strap that holds just the essentials and can convert to a clutch for evening.

I think a small lightweight crossbody is okay especially if you are in the relative safety of a tour group from the ship. Not sure how extra garments with hidden pockets would work in hot weather.

They work great in hot weather! Take a look at this t shirt for women:

https://www.scottevest.com/v3_store/Veronica_V-Neck.shtml

or this dress:

https://www.scottevest.com/v3_store/Debbie_Dress.shtml

or this looped scarf:

https://www.sholdit.com

or these hats:

https://www.tilley.com/us_en/women/hats.html

Ladies can get these garments in any style from tank tops to shorts to skirts to pants to dresses to leggings and lightweight jackets as well as rain gear and cold weather clothing and hats and scarves. There is no limit to what is available for any type of weather. There are even shoes that hide credit cards including flip flops for the beach and bra pouches, even bras specifically designed to hide valuables.

There are just as many pieces for men including pants, shorts, golf shirts, polo's, dress shirts, jackets, vests, coats, hats, etc.

If any of those pieces are your style then go for it. The scarf would be the only piece I would possibly consider but not for summer. I'll stick with my tiny crossbody.

I'm with you. I don't want to be struggling to retrieve what I need from some hidden pocket while the pickpocket makes off with whatever else I have with me. Not to mention that will tip them off to where I have stashed my cash [emoji7]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

As a woman with very short hair, I can't imagine putting my credit cards in a pocket at the nape of my neck. I'm quite accustomed to wearing moderately full cross-body bags for hours at a time, and can't imagine that I'd be more comfortable attempting to extract my card from a pocket I can't see (but anyone else can) than I would with a small wallet, phone, and water bottle in my bag.

Just read that article too.........."DIFFERENT STROKES FOR DIFFERENT FOLKS":eek:.....I don't own any boots and

even if I did they would not go on a cruise with me.

As for the cross body bag, I am in the category of always using them......I have a couple that are very lightweight, sturdy

nylon and they are comfortable on me. I also keep my hair very short;).

I am not a scarf gal so never pack one.

I have traveled with the same small (8X8 ish w/ multiple zipped compartments) for years. When boarding airplanes I have it hidden under my (insert) jacket, sweater, wrap so that it can't be seen and won't count as a carry on. I want to be able to have a few things with me but don't want to have to carry anything. That bag has been all over the world.

No boots ever, comfy walking shoes and comfy sandles for tired feet back on board.

We did our rivercruise in mid Sept and needed a rain jacket which I often also wore a fleece vest & t-shirt. Couple pair of cute cargo pants (chicos) and that was my uniform for our 15 days on our river cruise.

Evenings, I had some Chico's Travelers black mix n match pieces and pretty tops. That's it!

I have traveled with the same small (8X8 ish w/ multiple zipped compartments) for years. When boarding airplanes I have it hidden under my (insert) jacket, sweater, wrap so that it can't be seen and won't count as a carry on. I want to be able to have a few things with me but don't want to have to carry anything. That bag has been all over the world.

No boots ever, comfy walking shoes and comfy sandles for tired feet back on board.

We did our rivercruise in mid Sept and needed a rain jacket which I often also wore a fleece vest & t-shirt. Couple pair of cute cargo pants (chicos) and that was my uniform for our 15 days on our river cruise.

Evenings, I had some Chico's Travelers black mix n match pieces and pretty tops. That's it!

Sounds like me, our packing is very similar.

River cruising the end of August and this will be our 5th river cruise. Twelve days and I am already accumulating a few things to pack. I have taken a Bagalini purse but too many zipper compartments drove me crazy.. I am definitely an over packer but this trip I am trying to scale down the clothes. We purchased a Samsonite small carry on with wheels to store our meds, cosmetics, iPad and eliminate each of us having to carry a bag in addition to checked suitcases.. Trying to coordinate a color scheme and just interchange the clothes. Very casual ... Enjoy..:)

I've gotten to the point that when I'm touring I have 1 credit card and a little cash on me and 2 or 3 tissues and my cruise card. Rarely I may also have my passport if it is somewhere that I really need to have that with me, but other than that I just don't need much when touring. I leave my cellphone and iPad on the ship unless I'm going to a restaurant where I might want to photograph the food, in which case I bring my cellphone. As to hidden pocket garments I wear, I find them highly functional and incredibly convenient. I hide the cash in 2 or 3 different locations and the credit card in yet another. That said I'm not constantly accessing my cash or credit card when touring and I find that I rarely use any of the few things I do carry - maybe 1 or 2 items once a day at most. Whereas with a bag - for me, it's constantly a matter of trying to figure out what to do with it and it being too heavy or in the way or just a nuisance. I think I stopped carrying purses/bags on vacation about 15 years ago as a challenge to myself and it worked out so well, I've never gone back to carrying one.

Well that's great you've found a good system that works. I carry about the same as you but wear sunglasses that I take off indoors and need a place for them and I always wear lipstick so need to carry that and usually a tint travel tube of sunscreen...can't leave home without it! So this necessitates a purse and I'm able to squeeze all that, plus my cell phone into this:

https://www.bottegaveneta.com/us/crossbody-bag_cod45270710cv.html

I've gotten to the point that when I'm touring I have 1 credit card and a little cash on me and 2 or 3 tissues and my cruise card. Rarely I may also have my passport if it is somewhere that I really need to have that with me, but other than that I just don't need much when touring. I leave my cellphone and iPad on the ship unless I'm going to a restaurant where I might want to photograph the food, in which case I bring my cellphone. As to hidden pocket garments I wear, I find them highly functional and incredibly convenient. I hide the cash in 2 or 3 different locations and the credit card in yet another. That said I'm not constantly accessing my cash or credit card when touring and I find that I rarely use any of the few things I do carry - maybe 1 or 2 items once a day at most. Whereas with a bag - for me, it's constantly a matter of trying to figure out what to do with it and it being too heavy or in the way or just a nuisance. I think I stopped carrying purses/bags on vacation about 15 years ago as a challenge to myself and it worked out so well, I've never gone back to carrying one.

Sounds like your plan works well for you:D.........that is great.

It is very easy for me to figure out what to do with my cross body bag...it stays on me and is not at all heavy and does not

get in the way at all. It is a sturdy, but lightweight nylon:) and it is small in size.......

As I mentioned earlier, different strokes for different folks:D

I have several crossbody bags and would not travel without them.

As for boots, we travel to Europe often in winter and always wear our boots on the plane. I live in FL but am a confessed bootaholic and have a quite a few pair.

I bought a scottevest jacket; mostly for home -- dogwalking, short hikes, etc. I will likely only carry wallet, phone, lip bam, dog cleanup bags; maybe mittens in cooler months. I will iikely wear it for travel in cooler months.

I'm a hobby phographer so generally carry necessities in my camera bag (wallet, phone). I carry it cross body. It buckles tight -- very secure.

I was "purse-snatched" once -- back in the fanny pack days. To my astonishment, I held onto that thing for dear life -- I am not sure who I surprised more: myself or the thief. But, I learned that hanging onto a nylon strap with all my might hurt like hell -- that nylon both cut and burned my hands. And, yes, I was stupid to fight the thief but instinct kicked in.

I travel everywhere with nylon crossbody bags. Leather is too heavy for me for all the walking I do, and I *must* carry a water bottle with me at all times. To each his/her own. The concept of loading up clothing with all my stuff sounds awful, so those sorts of things are not at all for me.

I have one "travel" bag with stainless cord in the strap. I bought it because I liked the shape & pockets/organization & size, not for the strap feature. And it was a great price. I find it the same weight as any other nylon bag of the same size I have.....

I was "purse-snatched" once -- back in the fanny pack days. To my astonishment, I held onto that thing for dear life -- I am not sure who I surprised more: myself or the thief. But, I learned that hanging onto a nylon strap with all my might hurt like hell -- that nylon both cut and burned my hands. And, yes, I was stupid to fight the thief but instinct kicked in.

I'm glad you were not badly hurt. So far I have not heard of anyone trying to snatch someone's dress or jacket - but who knows - people are crazy and that may happen in the future.

Since I'm a chef, I often am carrying my knives. I was just musing what would happen if someone stuck their hand into my knife roll and or knife case thinking it was my purse hit one of my razor sharp knives. That would be an experience they wouldn't forget. LOL!

I'm glad you were not badly hurt. So far I have not heard of anyone trying to snatch someone's dress or jacket - but who knows - people are crazy and that may happen in the future.

Since I'm a chef, I often am carrying my knives. I was just musing what would happen if someone stuck their hand into my knife roll and or knife case thinking it was my purse hit one of my razor sharp knives. That would be an experience they wouldn't forget. LOL!

Oh my goodness -- imagine that! We had these goofy squeeze toys at work that just felt icky and slimy (they weren't). I pondered putting one of those in my bag. :)

Years ago my husband, mother, and I got off the escalator near the Champs-Élysées and Mom realized her wallet had been stolen. My big cross body bag was unzipped but everything was there. I figured it was because my very large DSLR was on top and the thief realized he couldn't get it out without me noticing.

I used to wear Dansko clogs. My thought was to bash a thief in the shins if I had to.

Just returned from Barcelona and Spain and Portugal places. Dire warnings of pickpockets have been plaguing us for years. Do not wear money belt going into TSA line. You will be asked to strip it off and open it for inspection on the spot. Do carry a wallet on a belt. This has worked well in all seasons. In cooler weather, my flat Cross body bag fits under my coat; my coat has zip pockets for tube pass, credit card. My husband has a money clip with just the day's cash. River cruises not too problematic since everyone stays in a group with guide- and guides usually recognize local pickpockets! We try not to talk when on public transportation or on street- instant giveaway that you are American tourists! Shhhh. Got transition lenses, so I'm not opening bag and swapping out glasses everywhere.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

"We try not to talk when on public transportation or on street- instant giveaway that you are American tourists! Shhhh."

That seems a bit extreme. Pickpockets can recognize a tourist (i.e. a mark), American or other, whether they are talking or not.

"We try not to talk when on public transportation or on street- instant giveaway that you are American tourists! Shhhh."

That seems a bit extreme. Pickpockets can recognize a tourist (i.e. a mark), American or other, whether they are talking or not.

I agree. Sometimes I feel as if I have "American" tattooed on my forehead. But a couple of times in Italy and in France I have been approached by an Italian or French visitor and asked directions in their language. I have had to excuse myself in my minimal Italian or French, but I have been thrilled. I passed! :D

We just got back from Europe this past Monday. I tried not taking a purse of any kind and using a small backpack. After ending up carrying that backpack in front all the time, I decided a small cross body purse was the way to go. It was just big enough for my cell phone (which I also use as my camera), a small RFID wallet, and my passport. When it rained, it fit comfortably under my rain jacket.

As for not talking when we were on the Metro subway in Paris, that's ridiculous. There are so many people crammed onto those trains, and so many different languages being spoken, you don't know who are tourists and who aren't. I lost track of how many times a Parisian stopped us to ask us for directions. And we don't know any French!

We did notice that fanny packs, worn in front, are coming back in style in Europe (lots of Europeans were wearing them). We're going back in October - I might have to think about a fanny pack!

Hmmm....until you open your mouth no one really knows! We get stopped on street for directions too, so elated that we passed too! Take the advice with a grain of salt- we just act like we sitting on the "quiet car" going to work at home!

Sent from my iPad using Forums