After final payment question

amazinglife

If there is a deal offered after final payment for a cabin that costs more than you have already paid, you can upgrade and pay the difference between what you paid and the price of the cabin you want.

You have to read that carefully. It is based on the price you paid....has nothing to do with the current price of the cabin you have booked. And the cabin you would like to change to has to cost more than you paid. If it costs the same as you paid for a lesser cabin, you can't change.

There is no refund or OBC given after final payment.

If the numbers work, it might be possible to cancel the cruise, get a partial refund, and re-book with the lower price. I don't "know", that is why I try not to look after I pay for a cruise.

Probably not. Celebrity has recently revised their rebooking policies knowing that people did this. No problem keeping your booking number if you are paying more money to upgrade.

so if I understand this correctly if I book an inside for 899.00 and after final payment a balcony goes on sale for 999.00 I pay the 100.00 differnce:confused:

Any penalty imposed :confused:

Yes you can book it for $100. No penalty. I do it all the time. I've gone from a C3 to AQ for a 14 day cruise for about $150 per person.

We've done this before as well, but, of course, you run the risk of there not being a special and getting stuck with an inside cabin (if that's not what you really wanted). Of course, C3 to AQ is not too risky ;)

We typically book the least expensive room we really wouldn't mind having and then watch for specials and upgrade if something becomes available for a great price. Of course, you never know. On our last cruise all the prices went up so we were glad to have the price on our 1C veranda room. We've gotten good deals lots of times.

Tom

Yes you can book it for $100. No penalty. I do it all the time. I've gone from a C3 to AQ for a 14 day cruise for about $150 per person.

Of course, C3 to AQ is not too risky ;)

Do not know what the above means....sorry for my ignorance on this subject :confused:

C3 is a Concierge3. Usually poorly located, but Concierge perks. AQ is Aqua Class.

If I remember right, C3 is the highest Concierge Class and AQ is Aqua Class. I'd be super happy to sail in either so if I booked the former in hopes of getting an upgrade to the latter I wouldn't mind if I did or didn't. That's a bit different that booking and inside room and hoping for a veranda or higher room to come down in price. I've had inside rooms and been super happy cruising, but I much prefer to be able to see outside if it's possible. I confess we've gotten a bit spoiled.

Tom

Of course, C3 to AQ is not too risky ;)

Do not know what the above means....sorry for my ignorance on this subject :confused:

If I remember right, C3 is the highest Concierge Class and AQ is Aqua Class. I'd be super happy to sail in either so if I booked the former in hopes of getting an upgrade to the latter I wouldn't mind if I did or didn't. That's a bit different that booking and inside room and hoping for a veranda or higher room to come down in price. I've had inside rooms and been super happy cruising, but I much prefer to be able to see outside if it's possible. I confess we've gotten a bit spoiled.

Tom

C3 is the lowest Concierge. C1 is the highest. Unfortunately, can no longer do an onboard booking and get a C1 at a C3 price.

Is it better to book directly or through an online agency:confused:

I know you can't give me a name :rolleyes:

Might depend on how much service you need or want. Celebrity charges all agents the same price for a cabin, but some will give you more of their commission in On Board Credits and/or gratuties. Best is to book while onboard (not always possible of course) and double up on your credits. Some agents, both online and on land, often have a group rate which can save $$$. You need to shop around.

Unfortunately, can no longer do an onboard booking and get a C1 at a C3 price.

But if you have an AmEx Platinum card, you can book the C3, and get the two category upgrade benefit, thereby securing a C1. We just did this on the Reflection November crossing. I originally wanted an aft stateroom (a C1), but felt price was too high, so we booked a 1A (location is important to me), and then when prices dropped, we "upped" our booking to a C3 (which by then was just a little more than we had paid for the 1A), and grabbed our free upgrade to a C1 aft. Perfect! I think that is the best use of the platinum benefits.

Might depend on how much service you need or want. Celebrity charges all agents the same price for a cabin, but some will give you more of their commission in On Board Credits and/or gratuties. Best is to book while onboard (not always possible of course) and double up on your credits. Some agents, both online and on land, often have a group rate which can save $$$. You need to shop around.

Well said, and so true, Orator!

But if you have an AmEx Platinum card, you can book the C3, and get the two category upgrade benefit, thereby securing a C1. We just did this on the Reflection November crossing. I originally wanted an aft stateroom (a C1), but felt price was too high, so we booked a 1A (location is important to me), and then when prices dropped, we "upped" our booking to a C3 (which by then was just a little more than we had paid for the 1A), and grabbed our free upgrade to a C1 aft. Perfect! I think that is the best use of the platinum benefits.

Did not know about the AMEX card. I booked my upcoming Silhouette TA onboard and received a C1 for a C3 price. This practice has since ended since the upgrade was costing X a lot of money. In my case the C3 was $750 pp less than the C1. Guess more people will check into the AMEX card. However, I rarely book a Concierge on an S Class ship. Usually book AQ or SS. Booked it for the TA for the aft view.

Orator, I too love the aft view.

In our case, at least a couple of weeks ago, the C1 was $1100 more than the C3. For sure, this was a good use of the AmEx Platinum 2 category benefit!

And btw, it wasn't about the concierge benefits, it was because I desired an aft stateroom, but wasn't willing to pay the C1 rates.

It simply has to be a non-branded American Express Platinum card (which has a pretty hefty annual fee--so do your math to see if you earn it back with your habits and lifestyle). It can't be a co-branded Am/Ex platinum (like a Delta Am/Ex platinum for example).

Unlike what many believe, and what some TAs even think, you do NOT have to use an American Express Travel Agency. These are the benefits you receive. This is taken directly from the American Express page:

Platinum Am/Ex Cruise Privileges benefits aboard Celebrity

• Two-category upgrade or up to $300 per stateroom shipboard credit (depending on ship and category booked)
  • Complimentary dinner for two in one of the ship's specialty restaurants
  • Bottle of premium wine or champagne
  • Double Membership Rewards points

It does seem that you don't get the double rewards points except when you use an Am/Ex Agency, but otherwise, I've gotten all these benefits, and am receiving them when I cruise in November, along with the benefits my TA gives me.

Hi all--simeone gave incorrect advice--as I read the post--I booked an ov cat 07 for $100 less than the 08 price 18 months prior to sail date--after final payment date I became aware that senior rates were avaiable--I called celeb and was told that I could upgrade and pay the difference--after further discussion i was informed that conceriege guaranty was less than what I paid--I could switch but not get a refund or obc --called my TA switched and was assigned to a cabin near the forward elevators on sky deck--no brainer--thank you celeb

With the AmEx platinum, keep in many people find that this perk cannot be combined with other celebrity perks/discounts. We were not able to combine with shareholder credit. But we were able to combine shareholder credit with OBC on the cruise we are on today through a different agent and we passed on the AmEx benefits.

Hi all--simeone gave incorrect advice--as I read the post--I booked an ov cat 07 for $100 less than the 08 price 18 months prior to sail date--after final payment date I became aware that senior rates were avaiable--I called celeb and was told that I could upgrade and pay the difference--after further discussion i was informed that conceriege guaranty was less than what I paid--I could switch but not get a refund or obc --called my TA switched and was assigned to a cabin near the forward elevators on sky deck--no brainer--thank you celeb

Typical Celebrity HQ.....the policy is that if the new cabin price is less than what you have already paid, you can not change...with or without any OBC discussion. Apparently you were able to do just what the policy says you can't do.....and as many have said here, if you don't like the answer the first time you call Celebrity, hang up and call back because you will probably get a different answer.

The policy I stated is definitely their current policy. I made it to a VP level discussion about it on a recent cruise and they held their ground.

It simply has to be a non-branded American Express Platinum card (which has a pretty hefty annual fee--so do your math to see if you earn it back with your habits and lifestyle). It can't be a co-branded Am/Ex platinum (like a Delta Am/Ex platinum for example).

Unlike what many believe, and what some TAs even think, you do NOT have to use an American Express Travel Agency. These are the benefits you receive. This is taken directly from the American Express page:

Platinum Am/Ex Cruise Privileges benefits aboard Celebrity

• Two-category upgrade or up to $300 per stateroom shipboard credit (depending on ship and category booked)
  • Complimentary dinner for two in one of the ship's specialty restaurants
  • Bottle of premium wine or champagne
  • Double Membership Rewards points

It does seem that you don't get the double rewards points except when you use an Am/Ex Agency, but otherwise, I've gotten all these benefits, and am receiving them when I cruise in November, along with the benefits my TA gives me.

The fee, as you say, is hefty--$450/per year.

Typical Celebrity HQ.....the policy is that if the new cabin price is less than what you have already paid, you can not change...with or without any OBC discussion. Apparently you were able to do just what the policy says you can't do.....and as many have said here, if you don't like the answer the first time you call Celebrity, hang up and call back because you will probably get a different answer.

The policy I stated is definitely their current policy. I made it to a VP level discussion about it on a recent cruise and they held their ground.

When did the policy change? In 2011, I booked the Summit repo from Bayonne to SJU in an inside solo, with a military rate. I then decided six days was not enough, and booked the same cabin for the first sailing from SJU. I booked after final payment. There were price drops on both segments, and I was able to upgrade the second segment from the inside to a 2C for $80, and got a Sweet Sixteen to boot. On the repo, I didn't think it was worth it to pay extra for a balcony on a chilly run, so I upgraded to an OV, but the cost of that OV was less than I had paid for my inside. No, I did not get an OBC, nor did I expect it. EM

What happens if the price drops after final payment:confused:

Can you get an adjustment on your credit card or recieve onboard credits :confused:

I am not really sure, if you can always upgrade paying the difference. I have tried it a couple of times and in my case was never possible. I wonder why this works for some people and not for everyone?

Archived