Why aren't more people active in HAL Roll Calls?

3redheads

We are sailing on our first HAL ship next September.

While looking over the existing roll calls, I was surprised to see how few people participate.

We are used to sharing tours etc with people in our roll call.

Any thoughts as to why the roll calls aren't more popular? It's a great way to meet people and share info.

It is really disappointing when a roll call doesn't "take off". I know there are some people who don't really care to meet other cruisers in advance. Some get turned off by one or two overbearing roll call members. Some are just not interested in the activities that a roll call might set up (cabin crawl, slot pull, exchanging gifts, private excursions, etc.).

I have been on two very active HAL roll calls (one had over 3000 posts and another over 4000). The one I am on now has over 2000 with six months left before the cruise. As a solo cruiser, I really enjoy getting to know people in advance.

The short 7 / 14 day cruises are not very active roll calls. Our 1 Jul on the NA Alaska cruise after I year had only 20 some posts. Once you get longer 21 / 30+ day cruises the roll calls really pick up. Enjoy your cruise.

Allan

My husband and I cruise more for the 'together time' that often escapes us due to his busy work schedule...and as KK mentioned above, we're just not interested in the extras like slot pulls and cabin crawls.

We have found that on every trip, we meet fascinating people without needing the roll call.

Some will try to say that HAL is no different than other cruiselines in that some roll calls are more active and others are less so. But in the past I actually did a comparison of several lines -- looking at similar sized passenger load on similar itineraries and same time of year -- HAL definitely has fewer posts. Of course there are exceptions but most of the time they are pretty quiet.

Not sure what it is due to. Perhaps more passengers on HAL prefer to take ship tours rather than organize private tours. Perhaps HAL attracts more introverts (not a bad guess since so many seem to enjoy the relative peace and quiet on HAL cruises...). Perhaps -- notwithstanding the regular posters on this forum -- fewer HAL passengers are comfortable getting online and participating in a roll call, as they tend to skew somewhat older.

My husband and I cruise more for the 'together time' that often escapes us due to his busy work schedule...and as KK mentioned above, we're just not interested in the extras like slot pulls and cabin crawls.

We have found that on every trip, we meet fascinating people without needing the roll call.

Open seating is a great way to meet a variety of interesting people with so many unique stories and personalities.

We continue to watch our roll call in Dec for 2 week cruise and see only a very few people commenting......and I also have noticed there are few people commenting with "current" reviews of shore excursions to ports included in our Panama Canal trip. Very appreciative for the ones who take time to post on both areas of cruise critic.

We have 7 weeks before we leave on our Alaska HAL cruise and there are only 9 posts on our roll call--5 of those are mine.............We have a Regent 7 Seas in November and we have several hundred messages on that roll call. Strange.

Participation in roll calls seems to depend in part on the number of Cruise Critic members on the cruise. Not every cruiser belongs to Cruise Critic. I think CC appeals to English speakers, and is not as popular among cruisers whose primary language is other than English. In our April, 2017 transatlantic to Copenhagen our roll call had over 150 members, and the roll call started 18 months before departure. We have signed up for the March, 2018 transatlantic and there is no one (other than me) on this roll call for the 14 day crossing. A few people are signed up for the 24 day back to back cruise. The Koningsdam roll calls seem not to have a lot of participants.

We have a few theories....which we have discussed on our cruises and with which many agree. HAL does tend to have many older cruisers...many of whom are not very active on the internet or CC. But then there are very active posters such as myself, who now keep a very low profile on Roll Calls and have little interest in Meet and Mingles? Why? Because many Roll Calls become more of a social forum then having much to do with ports or cruising. For example, you might hear about somebodies cat, sick relative, etc. While this is OK on Roll Calls, we have no interest. And then you will get those who are into things like "slot pulls," "cabin crawls," "name tags," "gift exchanges," and even "skits at the Meet and Mingle." And then there are those "take charge types" who want to impose rules for the Meet and Greet such as "there can be no talking about private tours or independent touring...because this might insult Officers (who are usually not even at the Roll Calls)"

All this stuff is fine for some....but a total turn off for others.

Hank

PWhile not related to "roll call" activity, but Cruise Critic's HAL Threads:

Could it be that people are getting tired of reading about how terrible, cheap, non-responsive HAL is?

Often I wonder, if everything is so bad, why do people keep returning and paying their money. In my book, there will always be change and it doesn't make sense to me that HAL is trying to run away their customer base. Many people (please, not all) are looking for a "top of the line experience" but do not want to see any increase in their cruise fare. With costs going up, if the base fare remains flat, something has to be done to retain profitability.

I continue to cruise with HAL because we completely enjoy the experience and have always disembarked our cruises with a smile and looking forward to the next one. That doesn't mean that we do not miss certain aspects of the past, but other changes have been great.

So, back to Roll-Calls: I have coordinated my fair share over the years and had found that Cruise Critic members attend the roll calls and share information with each other. During Meet and Greets, I very seldom hear people complain about HAL management nor corporate decisions. But I wonder how many people are run away from attending participation in roll-calls and/or attending Meet and Greets because of all the negative comments on these boards?

Call me a HAL supporter but, in my opinion, they have earned my loyalty and bookings.

We've used the Roll Calls mostly for sharing excursions. That way you know a little about the people with whom you are sharing the experience. We've made some friends that way. We never do any of the Meet and Greet and pub crawls etc.

My current Roll Call (Koningsdam TA) is quite active and focused. Previous Roll Calls (Cunard & HAL) were quieter and, frankly, a little strange. I have come to the conclusion that the Roll Call is a good indicator of the type of people you are going to meet. lol

Maybe because most HAL passengers book cruises to relax and spend time with loved ones, instead of virtual strangers? Maybe they're not looking to chat on an internet forum, but to travel and explore the world? Maybe we here are the "odd ducks", with our online obsessions? Could it be:D?

Cruise line of the newlyweds and nearly deads (their words, not mine, lol). Newlyweds probably like to be left alone to do "newlywed things" and the nearly deads are just hoping to keep breathing through the end of the cruise.:)

My current Roll Call (Koningsdam TA) is quite active and focused. Previous Roll Calls (Cunard & HAL) were quieter and, frankly, a little strange. I have come to the conclusion that the Roll Call is a good indicator of the type of people you are going to meet. lol

Uh oh! Only me and another person for Sept 2018 sailing Roll Call, but it is really, really early.:D

Maybe because most HAL passengers book cruises to relax and spend time with loved ones, instead of virtual strangers? Maybe they're not looking to chat on an internet forum, but to travel and explore the world? Maybe we here are the "odd ducks", with our online obsessions? Could it be:D?

Anything is possible! ;p

Pardon my ignorance, but is there a way to access roll calls from my Droid or only by PC?

Sent from my XT1650 using Forums mobile app

If you are using the Forums app or Tapatalk, browse up to the main forum level and down into the roll calls.

i DO not want to do roll call group excursions and that seems to be why so many sign up. to save on cost of excursions by going on privately booked tours . I w on't do cabin crawl and for a long time, M & G was often scheduled right after life boat drill. that was not a good time for me so I NEVER GOT IN TH HABIT OF PLANNING TO GO. i DON'T like that many organizers, want home address , cab in number etc.. These are namelss facelss people I do not know.

Edited by sail7seas

I think it is very much itinerary-related. Our HAL trans-Atlantics were always very active - for well over a year out. A few weeks ago I booked a Quebec to New York September sailing, and started the roll call myself. Only two others have logged on.

We have little interest in meet-and-greets, cabin crawls or slot pills, but I find it helpful to share port information - we always do our own thing, sometimes sharing with others, and when (as in this case) there are two ports new to us, it can help to get input from others.

Generally, however, the thought previously expressed - that HAL cruisers are more likely to be somewhat introverted makes sense.