Summer Fair at PNE

Bad news - we miss the fair in Anchorage by one stinking week. But good news - we'll be in Vancouver during the Summer Fair at PNE.

Some questions for the locals:

We call our events "the fair" and everyone knows what we're talking about. Can I do that in your neck of the woods, too?

What kind of atmosphere should I expect? Is it rural? Like a theme park? Overrun by hooligans?

I'm really hoping to see some giant veggies like in the documentaries. Is there hope for this?

What is your favorite thing about your Summer Fair?

Call it "the PNE". Yes you'll see veggies, and flowers, and miracle cloths, and cows, and fluffy chickens and dogs doing funny tricks. Yes of course edgey teens / young adults screaming and having fun. And the poutine food truck is worth a visit! Victoria has a fair too, but only the end of August.

Edited by kluv2cruz

Thoughts...

The PNE means different things to different people. Amusement park? Prize home? Agriculture? Showmart? Evening Concerts? Superdogs? Food!

[YOUTUBE]QC_NGcMjwb4[/YOUTUBE]

Here's a promo from a few years back....

[YOUTUBE]xg1xvGfHQiQ[/YOUTUBE]

Pay attention to the FREE Tuesdays. If you can get there 1pm .... you saved yourself some money. Warning... public transit can be very busy and I recommend planning 10:45am arrival. http://www.pne.ca/thefair/ways-to-save.html

• 3 weeks later...

It's the PNE, I doubt anyone would know what you were talking about if you said "summer fair." As others have stated you'll see all of what you asked for, every time I smell frying onions outdoors I think of the PNE!

"Win a house, win a car!"

You'll understand this last part if you go!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by krev

It's the PNE, I doubt anyone would know what you were talking about if you said "summer fair." As others have stated you'll see all of what you asked for, every time I smell frying onions outdoors I think of the PNE!

"Win a house, win a car!"

You'll understand this last part if you go!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I haven't been to the PNE in almost 50 years. It would be fun to go again. I need to plan a trip.

I love the food at the PNE, the BBQ cook off between people from across canada and the US the unique stuff like deep fried koolaid one year. The farm animals, it has it all plus home to one of the top 10 roller coasters in the world.

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to throw my two bits in as I've been going to the PNE every year for like 40 years and worked there as a teenager since we live so close. We actually just went down there for a walk this past Friday and Saturday and they're just starting to put everything together. :)

The PNE markets itself as "The Fair at the PNE" but it's better known as the PNE.

It's somewhat of a mix between rural fair and theme park. The first week has all the 4H stuff in the barn area. One of the barns also has a farm theme with displays and such but I don't think they have blue ribbon type competitions like they did in the past. The east side of the grounds consists of Playland which is the more theme park part of the PNE with rides and midway games.

It's not overrun by hooligans and fights are relatively rare. I would not consider this an issue at all as I cannot recall the last "issue" I've encountered at the PNE.

Our favourite thing to do is really just walking everywhere and exploring all the nooks and crannies. The grounds are small enough that you can explore everything in one day.

Personally, I think most of the food is generally overpriced and subpar with the odd exceptions. We have had good luck though with the BBQ plates at the BBQ festival/competition. You can always get your hand stamped for re-entry, go eat somewhere nearby (also limited selection w/in walking distance), and come back.

There are promo days for free or discounted entry. If you can't make those days, you can buy discounted tix at 7Eleven or online.

You might also want to line up your visit with one a Summer Night Concert act you might enjoy. They've gotten stars of yesterday that are now doing the fair circuit. This year, they've got acts like Olivia Newton-John, Culture Club, Foreigner, Steve Miller Band, the Monkees (only two original members tho), etc. It's free but you have to get there pretty early to get a good seat for the bigger acts (or you can pay for reserved seating).

I haven't been to the PNE in almost 50 years. It would be fun to go again. I need to plan a trip.

I think you'd hardly recognize it other than for Playland.

There was a period about 2 decades ago where groups were hoping to revert the grounds back to its natural park history. A number of buildings were torn down and a lot of greenspace and recreational areas were reintroduced.

Funny thing though is a concept to convert the whole area to a year round theme park is currently being reviewed. Very early stages though.

I will be there as a volunteer on Sunday with the City of Vancouver - we will be handing out brochures etc about emergency planning and telling people about the disaster hubs that have been established at various areas around the City.

Cheers!

Dennis