Credit Cards - which ones are accepted?

I know I have seen something on this, but I cannot find the post again so I am just going to ask. Is Discover widely accepted in Vancouver?

My Discover does not charge any foreign transaction fees, so would be great if I could use it, but was thinking I had read somewhere about Visa/MasterCard, but not Discover??

Thanks!

I know I have seen something on this, but I cannot find the post again so I am just going to ask. Is Discover widely accepted in Vancouver?

My Discover does not charge any foreign transaction fees, so would be great if I could use it, but was thinking I had read somewhere about Visa/MasterCard, but not Discover??

Thanks!

It's definitely much less common, in fact if anything I'd say you see more signs for Diners Club (partner of Discover) - higher end restos, especially those in hotels, and big international chain stores. Much safer to be carrying a VISA/MC, or even AMEX.

Costco is the only place I can think of that only takes one of the Big Three (now MC, used to be AMEX, whereas in US it's VISA only so possibly a surprise to US Costco members who have the official card and can't use it up here!); a relative handful of stores don't take AMEX; but Diners and Discovery are definitely both the exception rather than the rule, so ensure you have at least one of VISA/MC with Chip if you plan to use credit cards up here.

Thanks!

Usage is about the same as in the states. Most mom & pop retailers will only take Visa/MC, but the larger American based chains may. I'd be hesitant about only using Discover, however, and have Visa/MC as a backup. Foreign transaction fees would be the last thing on your mind if you found yourself stranded on East Hastings and needed a cab out, FAST.

• 2 weeks later...

Visa and MasterCard are broadly accepted, AMEX fell out of favour some years ago because of their high fees but is making a comeback. Discover has never had a full roll out in Vancouver but as the previous poster has indicated some hotels with an international basis will accept Discover