POA Maui - Kahului Overnight Car Rental Parking

Wahnsinn

So before we left for the cruise, I decided we'd rent cars on most stops. When we got to Maui, I started looking again for some reason and came across the parking issue (no parking at the port, not supposed to park at the mall).

While waiting to get off the ship, I searched around for a minute and found a local hotel (Maui Beach Hotel) that worked out perfect. For starters, they have a Hertz desk at the hotel, so you can rent directly there to avoid the airport. Secondly, they will allow you to park there overnight for a measly $5, which was convenient and gave peace of mind (no tickets or tows). It's about 1 mile walk from the ship, so it took us about 15mins, but it's an easy walk. If she's there at the front desk, ask for Nancy, just tell her you're from the cruise and need overnight parking.

Plus it helped us get steps in :)

http://www.mauibeachhotel.net/

Just to clarify, you don't need to use the rental desk there at the hotel in order to park there, you can rent from anywhere. Just convenient that they have a Hertz desk there (work has good rates with Hertz, tough to beat with anyone else).

I looked into this Hertz by the pier a few months back ( 170 W Kaahumanu Ave, Kahului, HI 96732) and they close at 5. I wanted to rent a car around 6 (after a tour had finished) and park by the pier overnight. I would have to rent a Hertz car at the airport and then drive over to Hertz by the pier. When I called Hertz by the pier I was told this option is a no. In addition I was told the cars they have in the parking lot are for rental only and they didn't want other cars there. I talked to some women on the phone.

I am not taking a chance and parking at the airport. Even the police department (contacted them for ideas) said the airport was the best idea.

Edited by Cruiseoholic000

While waiting to get off the ship, I searched around for a minute and found a local hotel (Maui Beach Hotel) that worked out perfect. For starters, they have a Hertz desk at the hotel, so you can rent directly there to avoid the airport. Secondly, they will allow you to park there overnight for a measly $5, which was convenient and gave peace of mind (no tickets or tows). It's about 1 mile walk from the ship, so it took us about 15mins, but it's an easy walk.

If anyone is thinking of parking there overnight because they want to get an early start to Haleakala for sunrise, do as you wish but we have to say that the area is hardly the best to be walking in during the middle of the night. A wonderful idea, but possibly not the safest given the transient population that appears to call the area "home" at night.

• 2 months later...

As much money that NCL and the rental companies make from the guest that come to see this island, you would think they could make arrangements for overnight parking near the cruise ship for that one overnight stay. It is terrible that guest of NCL are put into such a frustrating and potentially dangerous situation just to have an independent choice to visit the Island.

Edited by RiverCrossing

As much money that NCL and the rental companies make from the guest that come to see this island, you would think they could make arrangements for overnight parking near the cruise ship for that one overnight stay. It is terrible that guest of NCL are put into such a frustrating and potentially dangerous situation just to have an independent choice to visit the Island.

Unfortunate but true for those guests though, neither NCL nor the car rental agencies are obligated to provide them with parking, and it just doesn't seem likely that they are going to lay out money when they don't have to.

Can anyone provide info as to the availability of a taxi or Uber around 5AM in the morning, to go get rental car parked overnight at the airport?? Have a tour at 7AM in Lanai I need to get to.

Can anyone provide info as to the availability of a taxi or Uber around 5AM in the morning, to go get rental car parked overnight at the airport?? Have a tour at 7AM in Lanai I need to get to.

Your best bet would be to contact the cab companies or Uber people yourself and find out current policies and schedules, as you obviously don't want to be stood up at the dock at 5 a.m. Also, we hope you meant to say you are starting your tour at 7 a.m. in Lahaina and not on the island of Lanai.

• 1 month later...

Followup to report on parking experience in Maui as of April 2017.

We drove through all the adjacent businesses and stores looking for someplace to park.....we found some places, but they were far away and a bit sketchy. All information including the rental company pointed to the only choice was to park overnight at the airport($15), so that's what we did - Better safe than sorry. We parked around 5PM and the shuttle to the cruise ship was still running, although we had to wait 15+ minutes. The car rental lots are located in the back of the airport parking lot, so you can easily walk directly there or walk to the airport car rental pickup area and take the shuttle. The next day we left the ship at 5:45am - there were several taxi's waiting. So we took taxi to airport for $12. The car rental shuttle doesn't start until after 8AM based on what the rental company said. My backup plan if there were no taxis was to take Uber. Uber had a few cars running but had a 10+min wait, so we just did the taxi.

• 3 months later...
I am not taking a chance and parking at the airport. Even the police department (contacted them for ideas) said the airport was the best idea.

We drove through all the adjacent businesses and stores looking for someplace to park.....we found some places, but they were far away and a bit sketchy. All information including the rental company pointed to the only choice was to park overnight at the airport($15), so that's what we did - Better safe than sorry.

Since you said you did a search, you probably found that people from CC members (see above) to the Maui Police Department recommend parking overnight at Kahului Airport and using taxis or Uber inbetween. Unfortunately, parking anywhere else seems neither safe nor legal.

• 5 weeks later...

We drove through all the adjacent businesses and stores looking for someplace to park.....we found some places, but they were far away and a bit sketchy. All information including the rental company pointed to the only choice was to park overnight at the airport($15), so that's what we did - Better safe than sorry. We parked around 5PM and the shuttle to the cruise ship was still running, although we had to wait 15+ minutes. The car rental lots are located in the back of the airport parking lot, so you can easily walk directly there or walk to the airport car rental pickup area and take the shuttle. The next day we left the ship at 5:45am - there were several taxi's waiting. So we took taxi to airport for $12. The car rental shuttle doesn't start until after 8AM based on what the rental company said. My backup plan if there were no taxis was to take Uber. Uber had a few cars running but had a 10+min wait, so we just did the taxi.

Can I ask a question? By parking at the airport are you rerenting the car or is there a lot for cars rented where you can just pay to leave the car overnight? I'd prefer to rent and keep the car for both days we are in port but I am little Leery on wasting too much time with car rentals

Can I ask a question? By parking at the airport are you rerenting the car or is there a lot for cars rented where you can just pay to leave the car overnight? I'd prefer to rent and keep the car for both days we are in port but I am little Leery on wasting too much time with car rentals

You park in the public parking lot at the airport and just walk over to your car rental agency (not far) and catch their shuttle to the ship (do check to see if your rental agency has a shuttle or not). The car does not go back to the rental agency lot until you drive it there to turn it in when you are finished with it.

You park in the public parking lot at the airport and just walk over to your car rental agency (not far) and catch their shuttle to the ship (do check to see if your rental agency has a shuttle or not). The car does not go back to the rental agency lot until you drive it there to turn it in when you are finished with it.

Thanks we are still flip flopping on 1 day or two. Really wish there was an easier way to manage a car overnight in Maui.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I called DiscountHawaiiCarRental last week and rented cars on Maui and Kauai. The agent told me there is a parking lot at the pier in Kauai. She did not know if there is a charge or how much. That was the first I have heard of such a parking lot. We were planning to return to the airport to park. Does anyone know of a lot at the Nawiliwili port on Kauai?

I posted this without realizing the thread is about Maui. Excuse the ring.

Edited by Lucky Granny
Wrong page

I called DiscountHawaiiCarRental last week and rented cars on Maui and Kauai. The agent told me there is a parking lot at the pier in Kauai. She did not know if there is a charge or how much. That was the first I have heard of such a parking lot. We were planning to return to the airport to park. Does anyone know of a lot at the Nawiliwili port on Kauai?

I posted this without realizing the thread is about Maui. Excuse the ring.

You can park at the Anchor Cove Shopping Center for $20. They have a shuttle back and forth from the shopping center to the pier. Now back to the Maui portion of this thread.

• 1 month later...
We parked at the Maui Mall in front of Long's Drugs - open 24 hours. Didn't see a sign saying we couldn't and we had no issues.

It does seem wise though to caution others to remember that even though you personally did not see the signs (they are on posts all over the parking lot) and did not have trouble, that should not be taken to mean it is legal to park there.

• 2 weeks later...

I was on the POA cruse and wanted a 6 person van for the 2 days we were on the island of Maui. I got the best deal through Alamo via Expedia from the airport.

A few notes: There are no car rental shuttles at the port. When you leave the ship you can get a cab in the area reserved for cabs and Excursions that will take you to the airport for $12-16.

For Uber $8-9 and they will take you all the way to the rental office. They tell you that you have to walk to the Maui Mall for Uber but they can pick you up at Pier 1 and Hobron Ave. which is just outside the cab/excursion area just off the ship.

Afteryou rent a car you can pick up and drop off at Pier 1 and Hobron Ave. just like the cabs.

There is no parking at the port, I used the public parking area at the airport $15 overnight.

When at airport, most Uber is XL and only a few dollars less that cabs I used Uber going to the airport and cabs back.

A few notes: There are no car rental shuttles at the port. When you leave the ship you can get a cab in the area reserved for cabs and Excursions that will take you to the airport for $12-16.

For Uber $8-9 and they will take you all the way to the rental office.

We were surprised to read that you said there are no car rental shuttles at Kahului Harbor and, in checking, are told that the shuttles are indeed still running between there and most car rental agencies at Kahului Airport. We are curious what time you tried to get a shuttle?