Dress code

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Unregistered, just back from your P&O cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 06:37 AM.
Batemans Bay, NSW Australia
8,869 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
But at the end of the day...remember, tuxedo/dinner suit/black tie, call it what you like, is not mandatory. For males, a dark suit, collar and tie complies with the dress code and is acceptable to the cruise line. I don't care what the fashion police think. The cruise line makes the rules, not the passengers.

Good to see the 'jacket night' has been dispensed with.

I am perhaps from the 'fringe.' lunatic side perhaps? Must be the sun affects us Colonials.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cheers..(Uncle) LES

Cruised with Princess, Celebrity, Cunard, P&O Australia, P&O UK, Carnival, Sitmar, Sydney Harbour Ferries. World Cruise, plus British Isles, Europe, Med, Greek Isles, Transatlantic, Asia, USA, Panama Canal, South America, Central America, Caribbean, Alaska, Canada, Japan, South Pacific, Australia, New Zealand.!

**Last cruise: Queen Mary 2 - Sydney - HK, 16 nights, 2 - 18 March 2017.

**Future Cruises**:

Adonia: - 3 June 2018, France, Spain & Portugal, ex Southampton - 16 nights
B2B with..
Adonia: - 19 June 2018, Ireland, North Cape, Scandinavia, ex Southampton - 18 nights.

'Adventure before Dementia - Live for Today !!'
2,308 Posts
Joined Dec 2016
Originally posted by NSWP
But at the end of the day...remember, tuxedo/dinner suit/black tie, call it what you like, is not mandatory. For males, a dark suit, collar and tie complies with the dress code and is acceptable to the cruise line. I don't care what the fashion police think.

On P&O i always wear a dark suit on formal night.
8,869 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
Originally posted by grapau27
On P&O i always wear a dark suit on formal night.
Join the club, me too, flying 12,000 miles has its limitations with clothing.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cheers..(Uncle) LES

Cruised with Princess, Celebrity, Cunard, P&O Australia, P&O UK, Carnival, Sitmar, Sydney Harbour Ferries. World Cruise, plus British Isles, Europe, Med, Greek Isles, Transatlantic, Asia, USA, Panama Canal, South America, Central America, Caribbean, Alaska, Canada, Japan, South Pacific, Australia, New Zealand.!

**Future Cruises**:

B2B with..
Adonia: - 19 June 2018, Ireland, North Cape, Scandinavia, ex Southampton - 18 nights.

Kent, England
6,020 Posts
Joined Mar 2008
But at the end of the day...remember, tuxedo/dinner suit/black tie, call it what you like, is not mandatory. For males, a dark suit, collar and tie complies with the dress code and is acceptable to the cruise line. I don't care what the fashion police think. The cruise line makes the rules, not the passengers.

I am perhaps from the 'fringe.' lunatic side perhaps? Must be the sun affects us Colonials.
That reminds me of my Arcadia Baltic cruise. On jacket required nights the dining room resembled a tramps convention with every sort of bizarre jacket from ancient gravy stained blazers to those striped regatta types. The dining room looked more sophisticated on evening casual nights
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Include tips in the fare

Previously
Thomson Celebration x 4
Thomson Spirit x 3
Thomson Destiny x 3
Thomson Dream x 2
Thomson Majesty x 3
P&O Ventura x 6
P&O Oceana x 8
P&O Arcadia
P&O Britannia
P&O Aurora x 2
P&O Oriana
TUI Discovery x 2
NCL Epic

To come
Thomson Majesty 2017
P&O Oceana 2017
P&O Azura 2017
TUI Discovery 2018
TUI Explorer 2018
P&O Oceana 2018
8,869 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
Originally posted by davecttr
That reminds me of my Arcadia Baltic cruise. On jacket required nights the dining room resembled a tramps convention with every sort of bizarre jacket from ancient gravy stained blazers to those striped regatta types. The dining room looked more sophisticated on evening casual nights
Sounds like QM2 in March, some slackos on there, can you believe I spotted the odd sauce stained windcheater or Adidas tracksuit top in the Britannia Restaurant? One would think one would send their attire to the dry cleaners, precruise, as I do at a cost of AU$35, nearly cheaper to buy another bag of fruit.

Thanks Dave.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cheers..(Uncle) LES

**Future Cruises**:

B2B with..

Solihull
1,841 Posts
Joined Sep 2013
I completely fail to see what the problem is. So long as you comply with the dress code at any given point in time and location does it matter? Live and let live, there are a variety of options to choose from because we are all different and the ships cater for all scenarios.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Oxfordshire
516 Posts
Joined Jun 2016
I will repeat, all cruise lines have rules and regulations, dress codes are one of them.

Rules are, generally, there to be adhered to in life.

I have never seen any of these 'fashion police' some people are talking about. Perhaps someone could enlighten me as to what uniform they wear and I shall be able to look out for them.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Previous Cruises:- Seabourn Goddess II - Aug 2001 Aurora - Oct 2001 Oriana - Nov 2001 Hebridean Spirit - June 2002 Hebridean Spirit - Oct 2002 Seabourn Legend - July 2003 Seabourn Pride - Aug 2003 Adonia (Old one) - July 2004 Hebridean Spirit - Oct 2004 Aurora - Nov 2005 Aurora - Aug 2006 Arcadia - June 2007 QM2 - May 2008 Arcadia - June 2009 Arcadia - Nov 2009 Azura - April 2010 Azura - July 2011 Azura - Aug 2012 Arcadia - Oct 2012 Oceana - July 2013 Adonia - Aug 2013 Arcadia - June 2014 Adonia - Aug 2014 Arcadia - Dec 2014 Arcadia - July 2015 (2 cruises back to back) Britannia - Sept 2015 Aurora - Dec 2015 Oceana - March 2016 Britannia - July 2016
2,308 Posts
Joined Dec 2016
Sounds like QM2 in March, some slackos on there, can you believe I spotted the odd sauce stained windcheater or Adidas tracksuit top in the Britannia Restaurant? One would think one would send their attire to the dry cleaners, precruise, as I do at a cost of AU$35, nearly cheaper to buy another bag of fruit.

Thanks Dave.
I can never understand why people spend a lot of money on a cruise then don't want to look their best when it comes to dining time.
UK
219 Posts
Joined Jun 2006
Originally posted by Florry
I completely fail to see what the problem is. So long as you comply with the dress code at any given point in time and location does it matter? Live and let live, there are a variety of options to choose from because we are all different and the ships cater for all scenarios.
I don't think anybody HAS said there's a problem - IF people comply with the code. The problem comes when people can't be bothered to comply with the code or wish to stretch it to breakingpoint.
Whitley Bay, North East England
6,124 Posts
Joined Nov 2006
Originally posted by Teddy123
I don't think anybody HAS said there's a problem - IF people comply with the code. The problem comes when people can't be bothered to comply with the code or wish to stretch it to breakingpoint.

Of course there are people who use this topic to just stir the pot. When on board they just comply like everyone else. The clue is when they post once and then stand back to observe the resultant battle. This happens on all forums.

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Aurora AU112 Arcadia AR223
Aurora R418 Aurora R419
Adonia F507 Adonia F508
Aurora R525 Arcadia J625
Oceana E721 Oriana X718
Arcadia J813 Oriana X820
Ventura N902 Aurora R913
Arcadia J004 Oceana E021
Ventura N110 Azura A121
Aurora R119 Ventura N210
Arcadia J217 Oriana X302
Oriana X312 Aurora R315
Oceana E402 Azura A409
Azura A410 Oceana E425
Oceana E426 Arcadia J510
Britannia B522 Britannia B523
Ventura N603 Azura A616
Arcadia J615 Arcadia J616
Oceana E625

To Come

Crown Princess 17
Britannia 17
Britannia 17
Azura 17
Azura 17
Ventura 18
Oriana 18
Oriana 18
Ventura 19

Gan Canny

Dai
2,308 Posts
Joined Dec 2016
Originally posted by daiB
Of course there are people who use this topic to just stir the pot. When on board they just comply like everyone else. The clue is when they post once and then stand back to observe the resultant battle. This happens on all forums.

Sent from my iPad using Forums
I have noticed that on other threads too.
Kent, England
6,020 Posts
Joined Mar 2008
Originally posted by Cruise Puss
I will repeat, all cruise lines have rules and regulations, dress codes are one of them.

Rules are, generally, there to be adhered to in life.

I have never seen any of these 'fashion police' some people are talking about. Perhaps someone could enlighten me as to what uniform they wear and I shall be able to look out for them.
The fashion police don't exist on the ship but do exist on cruise forums including this one. The most notable recent example was on the Cunard forum where the 'fashion police' deemed that Chinos were not suitable attire for evening casual dress. They made no suggestions as to what was acceptable so I presume they wanted beige slacks

A personal example was when a lady objected to me saying I use a pre tied bow tie. I pointed out I have medical issues with my fingers and have difficulty and pain so use a pre tied.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Include tips in the fare

Previously
Thomson Celebration x 4
Thomson Spirit x 3
Thomson Destiny x 3
Thomson Dream x 2
Thomson Majesty x 3
P&O Ventura x 6
P&O Oceana x 8
P&O Arcadia
P&O Britannia
P&O Aurora x 2
P&O Oriana
TUI Discovery x 2
NCL Epic

To come
Thomson Majesty 2017
P&O Oceana 2017
P&O Azura 2017
TUI Discovery 2018
TUI Explorer 2018
P&O Oceana 2018
2,308 Posts
Joined Dec 2016
Originally posted by davecttr
The fashion police don't exist on the ship but do exist on cruise forums including this one. The most notable recent example was on the Cunard forum where the 'fashion police' deemed that Chinos were not suitable attire for evening casual dress. They made no suggestions as to what was acceptable so I presume they wanted beige slacks

A personal example was when a lady objected to me saying I use a pre tied bow tie. I pointed out I have medical issues with my fingers and have difficulty and pain so use a pre tied.
Wow amazing how can someone complain about that.