Portland

canuck eh?

not sure what you want to do but i actually enjoy going to the "Dessert of Maine" while I am in the area. Also LL Bean is there. Portland also has a lot of restaurants to eat. I have only done the area with young children- there is a children's museum.

Second the Dessert. It's delicious!

The Desert of Maine is a very cute and hokey attraction. Based on what they told us there nearly 40 years ago, I imagine the sand must be 10,000 feet high by now!

We will be in Portland from 7:00 AM - 5:00 PM. Have never been there and would like some suggestions. We are open to all suggestions. Thanks so much.

Hi Canuck eh. I think they may have changed our port time from 7 - 5 to

8 - 6 in Portland. Not that it probably makes any difference but thought I better let you know in case you decide to rent a car or something on your own. Really looking forward to June. Less than 6 weeks to go. Wooo Hoooo!:)

There's shopping and browsing in the Old Port area.

There are various boat rides you can get - lighthouse tours or ferries to the islands. For a little different experience, you could take the Casco Bay Ferries to Peaks Island and rent a bike once you're on the island.

There's a Narrow Gauge Railroad ride and museum.

There's lobster to be eaten.

I think there are companies which will take you out on a lobster boat so you can pull a trap.... a true touristy experience, but it might be of interest to you.

Desert of Maine and Freeport are a 30 minute ride away, but there must be tour buses that take you up there.

You might be interested in the Victoria Mansion in Portland.

Or... depending on the day you are there, you might be able to catch a Portland Sea Dogs game (Red Sox affiliate).

There's some thoughts for you. Have fun!

Oh, I should have mentioned we're going down down to Old Orchard Beach...

Great day at the beach. Great food - like at the Fair. We were there in 2007 or 2008 and my son and I still talk about it! Best Clam CHowder...

We are refering to the Pier.

http://www.oldorchardbeachmaine.com/Activity.htm

OOB--also known as the Canadian Miami Beach:)

Oh, I should have mentioned we're going down down to Old Orchard Beach...

Great day at the beach. Great food - like at the Fair. We were there in 2007 or 2008 and my son and I still talk about it! Best Clam CHowder...

We are refering to the Pier.

http://www.oldorchardbeachmaine.com/Activity.htm

How far is it from Portland where the ships dock to Old Orchard Beach? Are you renting a car?

OOB (Old Orchard Beach) may be a bit too far for a cab.

Depending on your schedule, you might take a cab to the Amtrak station, and take the Downeaster a couple of stops to OOB. The train station in OOB is within easy walking distance to the Pier, but the OOB stop is a seasonal stop.

Look at the train schedule here: http://www.amtrakdowneaster.com/schedule/full

Years ago we did a tour of the Victoria Mansion and also toured the cointryside -- beautiful. We just happened to have been there when the leaves were changing.

I'd like to tour the Victoria Mansion.

How far is it from the port/dock?

Can one walk or do we need a taxi?

I'd like to tour the Victoria Mansion.

How far is it from the port/dock?

Can one walk or do we need a taxi?

It's 8/10ths of a mile. Walkable if you like...

You might consider Portland Pie Company for lunch... unique speciality pizzas, and you'll walk within a block.

You could also look into the Longfellow House.

It's 8/10ths of a mile. Walkable if you like...

You might consider Portland Pie Company for lunch... unique speciality pizzas, and you'll walk within a block.

You could also look into the Longfellow House.

Thanks so much.

Sounds wonderful.

We love Portland but have never toured the Mansion and I'd like to on our next visit.

We're walkers and if it's a pretty, the walk will be wonderful.

How far is it from Portland where the ships dock to Old Orchard Beach? Are you renting a car?

The time we went was by train. We were renting a car as it is about 30 miles away but now a friend is taking us. We are also looking into the afternoon chocolate tour in Boston.

For anyone who just likes some quiet, sit-and-watch-the-boats-come-in time...

You can walk out of the Cruise Terminal and turn right. Stay near the shoreline, and pretty quickly, you'll come upon the "Eastern Promenade Trail," which is a multi-use paved (and crushed rock) trail for biking, hiking, rollerblading, etc. Follow the trail, and soon it will head to your left and climb a hill. Portland Harbor will be on your right, and the Eastern Promenade Park will be on your left. Grab a bench and hang out. Or bring a kite along and fly a kite. If you walk through the park toward the city, you'll come upon the "Eastern Promenade" (road). If you cross the road and follow Congress St. a couple of blocks, you'll find the Portland Observatory, which you may be able to go up (for a fee).

Those are some options for a quieter day in Portland! :)

Last fall we rented a car and drove to Kennebunkport after going to the Portland Head Lighthouse. Then we stopped at Trader Joe's in Portland for some cheap wine.

Is there a way to take a scenic drive back from Kennebunkport to Portland. Possibly along the coast. Thanks for the info. The rental car sounds like a good idea if there is scenery to and from.

Is there a way to take a scenic drive back from Kennebunkport to Portland. Possibly along the coast. Thanks for the info. The rental car sounds like a good idea if there is scenery to and from.

We decided to take what we thought might be a scenic route down to Kennebunkport, and while there was some pretty inland scenery it was a lot of stop and go driving in towns along the way. We took the highway back and wish we had done that on the way down. We rented a car just because we like to do things on our own and at our own pace. If you are looking for breathtaking scenery, this drive is not it.