Cayman Beach Day

laudie3a

Hi All,

My husband and I will be traveling to the Cayman Islands for our second time and were thinking we would just do a beach day. What are the recommendations for specific beach locations? We'd prefer something with a bar or food nearby. Obviously there is 7 mile beach and I've read about Calico Jack's but I'm wondering if there is anything else that might be off the beaten path.

Thanks!

None of 7 Mile Beach is "off the beaten path"....but it is the easiest to get to...and everything you want is there. Sea Grape has all amenities...food/drink, chair/umbrella rentals, watersport rentals, restrooms...and the bus is easy...$2.50 pp...when you want to go back to the ship, walk up to the road (which isn't far!) and a bus will stop, if it's not already there!

• 2 weeks later...
Would a private resort, like the Westin Grand Cayman be overly crowded? I don't mind spending a little extra to avoid the crowds. I like peace, quiet, and a shady tree to relax and read a book while watching the waves.

It would likely be crowded. Beaches on Cayman are public. The Westin is located near a lot of hotels and condos. The less crowded beaches on Seven Mile Beach are at the far end away from the hotels.

Would a private resort, like the Westin Grand Cayman be overly crowded? I don't mind spending a little extra to avoid the crowds. I like peace, quiet, and a shady tree to relax and read a book while watching the waves.

The Westin likely won't be that much quieter than the beach clubs, just with lots of stayover guests instead of other cruisers. Depending on time of year, you might get lucky though.

For true quiet, head to one of the sections of beach without facilities. Fewer/no facilities generally equals fewer people. See the recent "which beach?" thread in this forum for more info on the different options.

• 4 weeks later...

We did Cemetary Beach a few years ago (part of 7 mile beach) and it was quiet and enjoyable. No services however. Just took the bus for a couple dollars each way and told the driver to let us off there. Walk thru the cemetary for a couple hundred yards and you are on the beach. Thinking of trying Smith's Cove this year (the opposite direction of 7 Mile beach)

We did a cabana at Royal Palm last year and will probably do the same this year. Good food (try the coconut Shrimp, it's awesome) and good service. Wasn't very crowded when we were there but not sure how many ships were in port.

We just returned from a Celebrity Equinox cruise. We had a beach day in Grand Cayman. We used the Royal Palms. It was well worth it to book one of the beach cabanas ($100 US) - it included a cabana, 4 chairs, and chaises plus a private bit of beach. It was very peaceful while the rest of the beach was crowded. Food and drink service came quickly, the rest rooms were clean and we had a great day. I recommend it. Cab fare from town was $4 each.

Other thing I should point out was it was windy when we were there and the ships could not anchor where they usually did. There is another anchorage but it only holds three ships - there were to be seven in port but only 3 could anchor. Ships supplied shuttles to get you to Georgetown (about 15 min)

• 1 year later...

We have been to Royal Palms twice, once 11/2016 and 02/2017. Both times we rented beach cabanas. We had 6 in our party. The cabanas are very nice. They have good food and service. You also have access to pool, changing rooms and shower. The beach has not been crowed and the kids loved 1st time snorkeling there. I highly recommend. Very easy to get to from port and back.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...