Escape Excursion Advice

jcathers1

We are doing the Escape Western itinerary this September. We have been to Cozumel several times, but are new to Roatan, Harvest Cay, and Costa Maya. I know the port excursions site is better suited for in-depth info, but can someone suggest some fun things to do in these places? It would be nice to have a jumping off point and some recommendations. Thanks!

Jonathan

Maya Chan Beach Resort, Costa Maya, check out it's website and many reviews on CC & Trip Advisor. Think we are just going to do the shuttle over to Placencia from Harvest Caye and find lunch, it's lobster season!

Ships dock at Harvest Caye. Placencia is a small very local town, very ex-pat ordinated. I believe we are going over to have lunch and just explorer. It's a very walkable village! My understanding is you have a 3 hour window, if you depart on say the 11:00 ferry, you have to return on the 2:00 ferry.

if you like water parks, there is an awesome one that is walking distance from the pier in Costa Maya. Its called Maya, Lost Mayan Kingdom. Has some crazy zip lines too, all included in the price. we had a blast!

in Roatan we did the animal sanctuary (maya key, i think it is). you can only get there via ship excursion, the animals are all rescues and the buffet lunch is tasty.

Little French Key in Rostand is amazing. In Costa Maya, the Mayan ruins are very interesting. We did our tour with Native Choice and it was amazing. Small group, excellent guide. He stopped on the way back to buy us local spices. Maya Chan is also nice if you're looking for a beach day. Not sure if you have kids with you or not, but if not, the Cozumel bar hop is fantastic. Goes to the uninhabited side of the island. 4 different beaches (and bars). It's a great time. Haven't been to Harvest Caye, so can't help there.

Costa Maya.......Maya Chan is second to none! Make a reservation early!!!

http://costamayabeachresort.com

Laszlo,

Thanks for the recommendation. The place looks great. I actually just made a reservation. Any tips or tricks you can relay about your experience at Maya Chan? Does the open bar include a variety of drinks? Drinks for kids? Was the buffet good?

Thanks!

As I tell people it's like a famous Mexican beer commercial, you see someone relaxing with a cold one on the arm of the chair. It's all inclusive, period, last time we were there they would wade out to take your drink order while you were floating in tubes. Buffet is really a taco buffet, with all grilled meats, fish etc, and all the fixings. FULL bar, make about any drink you would want!!

We've been to maya chan 6 times, great. But they're fully booked when we go on escape in September. If you say you're from cruise critic you get $5 discount.

Bar hop in Cozumel

Just great to do a relax in harvest quay too

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We'll be doing the same itinerary this September as well. We've done this particular itinerary several times before as well as the Escape's Eastern itinerary.

Cozumel: We've usually rented our own Jeep in Cozumel and do our own "bar hop" on the East side of the island.

Roatan: I've scuba dived several times with I believe Stuart Cove if I remember correctly. We've been to West End several times as well to visit nice beaches

Costa Maya: We've gone to the small city of Mahuahal and stayed at Steve's resort (I believe called Paradise). Of course we've hung out at the huge pool and had some adult libations as well, been there done that!

It will be our first visit to Havest Cay but that's just another beach, albeit right off the ship so convenient.

Do you have the UBP? This has changed everything for us as far what we do at port. While we have the UBP, I find it hard to spend any considerable amount of time at port, even less spending money on food and especially adult beverages, since we can have any top shelf drinks sitting by the pool on the ship with tons of free food to boot at O'Sheehans and the buffet. I hate wasting anything including the opportunity to indulge in adult beverages for free! :) So I think we will be limiting our port stops to very short jaunts to sight see and maybe pick up a few gifts/collectibles, then high tail it back to the sip to enjoy a mostly empty pool area while again indulging in several adult bevvies... To each his own right?

Good luck!

We have returned to Maya Kaye on Roatan several times. It's a great little island very close to where you dock. Nice beaches lots of loungers- with shade if you want, a swimming pool, several rescued exotic animals to see and a delicious lunch. Snorkeling is available off of a pier. (Our twenty-something sons enjoyed this excursion too!)

We have also been to Harvest Caye once and are looking forward to a return visit. Again lots of beach loungers, some with umbrellas. The sand isn't powder soft but we enjoyed it. Also has a great large pool with swim-up bar and more loungers surrounding it. The children's waterpark area looked fun. Lots of free things to do, or there were watercraft to rent and overhead zip lines from a lighthouse.

We have returned to Maya Kaye on Roatan several times. It's a great little island very close to where you dock. Nice beaches lots of loungers- with shade if you want, a swimming pool, several rescued exotic animals to see and a delicious lunch. Snorkeling is available off of a pier. (Our twenty-something sons enjoyed this excursion too!)

We have also been to Harvest Caye once and are looking forward to a return visit. Again lots of beach loungers, some with umbrellas. The sand isn't powder soft but we enjoyed it. Also has a great large pool with swim-up bar and more loungers surrounding it. The children's waterpark area looked fun. Lots of free things to do, or there were watercraft to rent and overhead zip lines from a lighthouse.

Thanks for the suggestion. In researching Maya Key, it looks like lunch is included, but no alcohol. Is this accurate?

Thanks for the suggestion. In researching Maya Key, it looks like lunch is included, but no alcohol. Is this accurate?

Yes, they have iced tea and water I believe. The bar also had drinks for sale but I don't recall the cost.