Passport expired, government shutdown

FLOTR

My DD's passport expires this month and I made an appointment a month ago to get her a new one on 4/9. Does anyone know if the processing will be slowed down if there is a govt. shutdown? I work for the federal govt. but I am considered essential staff. I have heard that staff processing passports are not considered essential. Not sure if I should cancel the appointment and just sail with her birth certificate.

Just wanted to add that we are sailing June 18

From what I have been reading and being told, the passport agency is not essential. I have looked at cnn dot com and they have some good info. I think the IRS will be shutting down too. Good note is the last shutdown only lasted 3 days so we can hope for the best.

What really sucks is 800000 people furlowed and also the military will not be getting checks or be able to get home. So anyone in a war zone is stuck and not getting paid. And they can not guarantee if people will get back pay for missing days

Passport processing would cease during a government shutdown. However, as long as you're on a 'closed loop' cruise you still have the option of using her state issued birth certificate should you not be able to get the passport renewed.

:)

My DD's passport expires this month and I made an appointment a month ago to get her a new one on 4/9. Does anyone know if the processing will be slowed down if there is a govt. shutdown? I work for the federal govt. but I am considered essential staff. I have heard that staff processing passports are not considered essential. Not sure if I should cancel the appointment and just sail with her birth certificate.

Yes, that would be shutdown as well.....

Thanks for the replies. I'm hoping those lawmakers can get it together and everything can go as planned.

I am with you on this. This weekend is going to be interesting if it happens. Some museums and alot of parks as well as a festival in DC will not be open or happening

From what I have been reading and being told, the passport agency is not essential. I have looked at cnn dot com and they have some good info. I think the IRS will be shutting down too. Good note is the last shutdown only lasted 3 days so we can hope for the best.

What really sucks is 800000 people furlowed and also the military will not be getting checks or be able to get home. So anyone in a war zone is stuck and not getting paid. And they can not guarantee if people will get back pay for missing days

Ummm the worse part is that several hundred thousand that are considered essential will be working and will not be getting checks. Furloughed people won't be working and not getting checks so its just as bad on both sides.

Passport processing would cease during a government shutdown. However, as long as you're on a 'closed loop' cruise you still have the option of using her state issued birth certificate should you not be able to get the passport renewed.

:)

Can anyone please tell me what a "closed loop" cruise is?

My husband and I were and hopefully still are going to go next week to renew his passport and get one for me, for our trip on Legend in August going to Cozmel, Belize, Roatan and Grand Cayman could we still apply if there is a shutdown or do we have wait?

Thank you.

In the last government shutdown, all passport processing stopped. I assume it will if this shutdown occurs too.

I actually just heard on the news this morning that the passport office WILL be affected with a government shut down. How much, they didn't say.

Can anyone please tell me what a "closed loop" cruise is?

My husband and I were and hopefully still are going to go next week to renew his passport and get one for me, for our trip on Legend in August going to Cozmel, Belize, Roatan and Grand Cayman could we still apply if there is a shutdown or do we have wait?

Thank you.

I believe it is starting and finishing at the same port. Here is a quote from Customs.gov:

Closed Loop Voyages- Frequently Asked Questions

(12/03/2009)A “closed loop” voyage or itinerary occurs when a vessel departs from a U.S. port or place and returns to the same U.S. port upon completion of the voyage. Travelers on “closed loop” voyages are not subject to the same documentary requirements for entry to the United States as other travelers.

Ummm the worse part is that several hundred thousand that are considered essential will be working and will not be getting checks. Furloughed people won't be working and not getting checks so its just as bad on both sides.

Thanks for making me feel better! :D I'm glad I already paid for the cruise.

I believe it is starting and finishing at the same port. Here is a quote from Customs.gov:

Closed Loop Voyages- Frequently Asked Questions

(12/03/2009)A “closed loop” voyage or itinerary occurs when a vessel departs from a U.S. port or place and returns to the same U.S. port upon completion of the voyage. Travelers on “closed loop” voyages are not subject to the same documentary requirements for entry to the United States as other travelers.

Thank you, :)

Just got this e-mail:

Below is the full message from The Secretary.

Note: Please be assured that the Tampa VA Hospital will continue to provide the excellent health care our Veterans expect and deserve. Because VA health care is funded in advance, there are no expected interruptions or limitations to the health care we provide to our patients. Further guidance will be coming out later today, from Veterans Health Administration and the Under Secretary for Health’s Office. Thank you for your patience.

MEMORANDUM FOR ALL EMPLOYEES

Throughout the discussions about funding for the rest of the fiscal year, the President has made it clear that he does not want a Government shutdown, and the Administration is willing and ready to work day and night to find a solution with which all sides can agree. Given the realities of the calendar, however, prudent management requires that we plan for an orderly shutdown should Congress be unable to pass a funding bill.

The President and I know that the uncertainty of the current situation puts Federal employees in a difficult position, and are very much aware that a shutdown would impose hardships on many employees as well as the groups and individuals our Department serves. As we approach the expiration of the current Continuing Resolution, our leadership team will provide you with updated information as soon as it becomes available. For now, I want to provide you with information on how the potential shutdown – should it occur – will impact Federal employees.

As soon as funding lapses, Federal departments and agencies will not be permitted to incur further financial obligations performing activities funded by annual appropriations, except those related to the orderly suspension of operations or performance of excepted activities. This means that some employees will be furloughed and unable to work. Our contingency planning for the potential funding lapse includes determining which Department functions are excepted from a furlough. Should it become necessary to implement our contingency plans, you will receive notice from your manager no later than Friday, April 8, 2011, regarding the designation of your position should a furlough happen. A formal furlough notice will follow should the Government shut down.

The Office of Personnel Management (OPM) has created a document to address some of the questions that I know must be on your mind. The document can be accessed at: www.opm.gov/furlough2011/. OPM will provide additional pertinent information for Federal employees as the week progresses. And our leadership team will do our very best to provide clear information about the status of events as the week progresses.

Thanks to the hard work and dedication of all of you, our Department provides critical services to the American public. Your contributions touch people’s lives in so many significant ways, and I want you to know how deeply I appreciate your dedication and your expertise. Thank you for your continued service to the Department and the Nation.

Sincerely,

Eric K. Shinseki

We're nearly in the same, um, boat. DD's passport expires in July and our cruise in in June. We were scheduled to go tomorrow but will not. Instead, we'll keep the passport and birth certificate instead of letting it possibly sit on some desk for who knows how long. Our destination is Bermuda, which does not have regulations that passports must be valid for any certain period of time after the visit.

Ouch, hope it works out for you. I'll have to remember never to wait till the last minute.

I think the chances of a shutdown for a long time is slim, too much disruption that will pressure the two parties to compromise.

Why is compromise not possible? You'd think rational and intelligent people can agree that a compromise is best. Doesn't anyone think for the future of this country versus their own selfish voters?

Fox news listed passports as one of the things that would stop being done by the Federal Gov in the event of a shutdown. For the most part, other governments stop taking passports when they are in their last 6 months, so her passport was getting a little old anyway.

I also work for the government and do hope they shut down. I plan on taking a last minute cruise out of New Orleans or Mobile if it does. As screwed up as our politicians are what are the chances of them actually doing their job in the next 48 hours.:D

Why is compromise not possible? You'd think rational and intelligent people can agree that a compromise is best. Doesn't anyone think for the future of this country versus their own selfish voters?

IMHO, the majority of politicians today think of themselves and their re-election first, their party's needs second, and the country's needs third or maybe even later.

If you are renewing a passport, I believe that you don't have to send in the BC since it's already on file, so you should be good to sail with it just in case.

Enjoy the cruise.

If they can't come to an agreement and the gov't shuts down, I hop they don't get paid, either! They are like children squabbling in kindergarten. EM

I agree 100%! What really irks me are the Senators who insist that their staff (some who have over 30 people) are essential.:rolleyes:

Good luck to everyone who needs a passport. It shouldn't really be a huge problem, maybe a set back of a couple of days or so. I just don't see the shut down lasting much longer.

Archived