How long from Piraeus to Athens airport

Gogie

We are on the Sept. 19th sailing of Riveria. The cruise is scheduled to arrive in Athens at 6:00 am on October 2 (a Sunday). If we have a flight scheduled for 10:05 am what's the chances of making it? If it makes a difference, we will be flying business class on Turkish Airlines (flying from Athens to Istanbul and transferring onwards from there) so presumably we can skip any long lines. Also, we plan on arranging private transportation to the airport. Thoughts and experience doing this anyone?

Edited by Gogie

A minimum of 45 minutes of taxi ride from Piraeus to Athens Airport. Its Sunday and early in the morning so traffic should not be too bad.

For international flight, one needs at least 2 hours ( preferably 3 hours) for check in.

It also depends where Riveria will dock, right at the terminal or further out which requires shuttle bus to terminal.

If you can walk off with your luggage exactly at 6.00 am and have a pre arranged transfer, you may be able to make it.

Security line at Athens airport can be long sometimes. (I was there last week for a 9.15 am flight, it was not too bad)

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I sincerely doubt you can get off at 6am. I personally wouldn't try this. I think you'll be getting off more in the neighborhood of 7 or later.

Good luck.

It should also be noted that debarking with all of ones luggage is not always faster.

True, this gives the passenger control over where the bags are, but it also places said suitcases into the category of "not yet inspected", which can raise a red flag with the Customs people.

I'm not saying that Customs goes through every Suitcase that is left out in the hall on that last night of the cruise, but I do believe that they take comfort in knowing that they have that option.

If you are directed into the line where they hand search each bag (which is fully within their purview), you wont be getting anywhere quickly.

I'm not a follower by nature, but when dealing with Customs and Immigration, particularly in this post 9/11 atmosphere, my motto is blend in and assimilate.

Ok, ok....I get the message. :)

I've changed my flights so that I'm leaving early afternoon. Thanks for the input.

Good move, you would have probably missed yur flight..

Jancruz1

Just made a 10:50 May 6 Rome flight self disembarking with an 8AM shared shuttle which finally departed 8:30 as another passenger had his black bag mistakenly taken. I had to snag another van. Please consider a different colored bag or attach some colored ribbons etc. on your generic bags.Thousands of bags down there.