Phil Lafayette is the BEST

When in Jamaica, I highly recommend Phil Lafayette. [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]

[img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] We were on the 5 night Enchantment of the Seas,we booked Phil online prior to sailing.
I have to say, we couldn't have made a better choice! There were 8 of us, ages 11-65. There was a total of 12 on our tour, 4 others from our ship. First we toured Ocho Rios, then Phil took us to "his falls" which were absolutely beautiful. Then we headed over to Dunn's River Falls, where he hooked us up with a guide. He was waiting for us when we finished climbing and he drove us back to the ship. My family and myself wanted "authentic" Jamaican food, so back on the bus with Phil for lunch at a wonderful little restaurant..we let Phil order for us and were happy to share lunch and conversation with him. He then dropped us off at Margaritaville.

He sent me an e-mail yesterday, to say hi and to make sure we all made it home safely.
I think he is really special.

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;6;12;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]
Until Our Enchantment Cruise

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;12;5;21;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800[/img]
Until My Cruise to Hawaii on Infinity
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2005;04;11;16;30;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]
Summit 11 night cruise

I booked a tour with Phil for next week. He responded to my e mail within 24 hrs. He said to let him know what we wanted to do and he would try and accomodate our requests. From what I've been reading on these boards he is a great tour guide. I'll let you know how it went when we get back! Do you remember the name of the restaurant he took you to?

Enjoy your cruise, this was my 2nd time on Enchantment within 6 months.

Don't remember the name of the restaurant, but just tell Phil it's the one he took Nancy, Michelle & Gabrielle to after Dunn's River Falls. It was nothing fancy, we sat under a tiki hut and let him order for us. It was really good.
Nancy

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;6;12;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]
Until Our Enchantment Cruise

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;12;5;21;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800[/img]
Until My Cruise to Hawaii on Infinity
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2005;04;11;16;30;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]
Summit 11 night cruise

I've been reading reviews and think I'm going to go with Phil also. How far in advance did you book? I'm not going until March '05 so I know I don't need to book yet, but just curious how far in advance most people do. I am going the week after Easter so it may be a bit busier than normal.

We (husband, 2 young sons) booked Phil in April 2004 and had a wonderful time. He took us around Ocho Rios and showed us some local homes, schools, etc. We stopped at some guy who played with fire (I could have lived without the stop) and then went tubing on the White River and then onto Dunns Falls. Short stop at a local craft deal. We did stop for lunch at a local restaurant which we did NOT enjoy and there seemed to be some issue with the food bill that Phil was not too happy with but this being Jamaica, we paid and left -- no problem Mon.

Overall, we very much enjoyed our time with Phil and I highly recommend him. His prices were very reasonable and he definately was not in a rush to get hurry you along. He clearly loves his country and has many interesting facts/stories to share.

[quote name='barefeet222']I've been reading reviews and think I'm going to go with Phil also. How far in advance did you book? I'm not going until March '05 so I know I don't need to book yet, but just curious how far in advance most people do. I am going the week after Easter so it may be a bit busier than normal.[/QUOTE]

Hey Barefeet
We are also sailing the week after (or beginning w/Easter) and are thinking of going with Phil. What ship are you cruzin' on? I was also wondering when the best time to book.

We just got back from a 7 night Western Caribbean on the Carnival Triumph. This was our first time in Jamaica and Phil made sure we enjoyed it. One of the best things it that he gives you options as to what all you want to see and do. He doesn't force any shopping or things like that on you. My wife and kids had a wonderful time and wouldn't hesitate to book with Phil again.

John

• 2 weeks later...
July 21, 2004 - We went on the Mariner of the Seas and I found out about Phil before we left. I had sent him a email about what we would like to do and he replyed back quickly.:p When we arrived in Ocho Rios he had someone to meet us at the end of the pier. He took us on a tour and told us all about his home land. Which is beautiful. We went to Dunn's River Falls which was a fun excursion. It was a little to crowded, but the kids enjoyed. We had a large crowd so we opted to go back to the ship, a couple little ones and a couple older ones, we had worn out at the falls. I would highly recommend Phil. He is very friendly and very reliable. Thank you Phil for a great experience.

:) ya mon

[quote name='eyern']Pattie, could you provide some more info on the tubing? Also, how long did your tour take? We are only in Ocho Rios for 6 hrs. Thanks, Alan.[/QUOTE]

We toured in April with Phil Lafayette in Ocho Rios- everything you read about him is true - he is GREAT! We were a little leery about Ocho Rios in general and Dunns River Falls in particular, but thought we'd take a chance with Phil. He made the day great - we saw all the typical sites, including Dunn's River - the tour can be as long or short as you like in order to accommodate your own schedule. The absolute best was tubing on the White River - Phil recommended it and it was outstanding! My husband and I and a great guide floated down a beautiful river and saw a part of Jamaica most tourists miss - it was cool and quiet and a lot of fun - simply outstanding. Phil made us feel like we really got to see a little of Jamaica in a day, and made a new friend there - try him, you won't be disappointed. Phil - told you we wouldn't forget - yeah mon!!

[quote name='mchutch']We toured in April with Phil Lafayette in Ocho Rios- everything you read about him is true - he is GREAT! We were a little leery about Ocho Rios in general and Dunns River Falls in particular, but thought we'd take a chance with Phil. He made the day great - we saw all the typical sites, including Dunn's River - the tour can be as long or short as you like in order to accommodate your own schedule. The absolute best was tubing on the White River - Phil recommended it and it was outstanding! My husband and I and a great guide floated down a beautiful river and saw a part of Jamaica most tourists miss - it was cool and quiet and a lot of fun - simply outstanding. Phil made us feel like we really got to see a little of Jamaica in a day, and made a new friend there - try him, you won't be disappointed. Phil - told you we wouldn't forget - yeah mon!![/QUOTE]Well they have reduced our port time to 5 hours now, which is really 4 1/2 hours. How long did it take y'all to do this. Was the charge $50? Thanks.

I booked a tour with Phil last April for our group of 7 and we all had a great time with him. He is really a great guide and you feel safe with him. We wouldn't consider anyone else for a tour in Ocho if ever there again.You won't be sorry if you choose Phil to show Ocho Rios !!!

Our group of six used Phil last week and had an absolutely wonderful time.

Phil met us promptly at the dock (we had booked a tour with him through his website at [url]www.phil-lafayette-tours.com[/url]) and after introductions (very funny), a quick lesson on being honorary Jamaicans (yeah mon, no problem, irie mon!)...we set about on a scenic drive around the area (Phil does a great job of telling you about the plants/trees/flowers, the school system, the housing, all sorts of interesting information and even stops at a little stand by the side of the road to show you some "local culture"). And did I mention singing...not only is Phil quite knowledgable about his country, he's quite the entertainer too!

Our day included climbing the Falls (WOW, what a blast...I wanted to go back to the bottom and do it again!), a white-water tubing ride (also, very fun), and lunch at an outside-type restaurant Phil choose (yummy....messy, but yummy!)

Our experience with Phil made Jamaica an awesome adventure and I couldn't give any higher compliment than to say if I'm ever in Jamaica again (talkin' fast and walkin' slow)...it just wouldn't be the same without Phil!

If you have any questions about Phil or his tours...just ask. I'd love to relive our Jamaican adventures with you!

• 4 months later...
I've not been to Ocho Rios, we will be there in January aboard the Westerdam and I'm leaning toward booking Phil based on all the positive things I've read about him.
1st. Does the ship tie up to a dock there, or is it tendered?
2nd. Where does Phil meet his tours, at the dock, or do we have to somehow get to him?
Thanks in advance for your help.

Ralphpea, I booked Phil for our tour next week.

Here's the email confirmation he sent:

[font=Arial][color=#000080]Hi Shirley & family,[/color][/font]
[font=Arial][color=#000080]Welcome to Jamaica on your Cruise and Excursion. It's my pleasure to be your host on your visit to my Tropical Paradise.[/color][/font][color=#000080][font=Arial] Your reservation for a party of 2 possibly 3 arriving December 14 ,2004 on the Navigator of the Seas is confirmed .
Duration for your tour is approximately 4 hours and can be flexible u decide. Payments are made at the end of the tour after a fun-filled and enjoyable day.Take along watershoe and disposable water cameras, they come in handy for the entire cruise and works well on some off the beaten path adventures on my tour.
On disembarking your ship in Ocho Rios Jamaica, there is a Tourist Board Liaison on the gang way , with a sign having my name, Phil Lafayette. This person or their boss has the responsibility to make contact with me by means of radio or telephone to ensure you a prompt and efficient dispatch. [color=#ff0000]Remember we meet within half an hour of your ship disembarkation.. Happy Cruising.[/color][/font][/color][color=#000080][color=#ff0000]

[/color][/color][font=Arial][color=#000080]Phil Lafayette
[/color][/font][url="http://www.phil-lafayette-tours.com/"][font=Arial][color=#ff00ff]www.phil-lafayette-tours.com[/color][/font][/url]
[font=Arial][color=#000080]1-876-427 5829[/color][/font]

Ships dock in Jamaica...it's not a tender port, so you do not have that hassle. If you book with Phil I guarantee you will have a fantastic time. He will meet you right at the dock ..... it was absolutely the greatest day for us. Any further questions...be sure and post.

Can someone give me an approximate cost of lunch. Just trying to get my budget set.

And in reply to an earlier question, the beach at the base of the falls is wonderful--beautiful white sand, calm water (at least when we were there), and a wonderful mix of fresh and salt water.

If someone didn't want to climb the falls with the rest of the group, could she stay at the beach (at the falls) and wait? If so, are there venders or people who will bother her there. One of our party is afraid of heights so is afraid to climb the falls but wants to do the rest of the day with us.

[quote name='Isis']If someone didn't want to climb the falls with the rest of the group, could she stay at the beach (at the falls) and wait? If so, are there venders or people who will bother her there. One of our party is afraid of heights so is afraid to climb the falls but wants to do the rest of the day with us.[/QUOTE]
We were there with our 4 year old last week and didn't feel comfortable climbing with him so we stayed, played and took pictures at the bottom of the falls and the beach. Phil didn't come down to the falls with us, he waited at the van in the parking lot.

At the bottom of the falls, the only vendors were men asking if you wanted a waverunner ride. They were very friendly, non-aggressive and even took our family's picture. However, two of them did ask my husband quietly if he wanted to buy some drugs. A friendly no was all it took. I wouldn't worry about them ruining your visit because they were really non-threatening.

We had a big group that day (about 20 people) and Phil managed to adjust to all our needs. We didn't even go to lunch coz it was already 2pm (although some of our group did) and we grabbed a few bites (Jerk chicken small portion $5, Jamaican chicken or beef patty, sort of like flat pot pies, tasty $2 at the Dunns River concession shack). We asked to be dropped off at Island Village to get our free margarita at Margaritaville and to do some shopping. It is a mere 3 minute walk back to the ship from there.

Phil is a really great guide and you wouldn't be sorry to book with him.

i very much agree with all the compliments on phil's tours...
i heard about phil through the CC boards and decided to give it a go and book his dunns river / tubing excursion. my girlfriend and i are SO glad we did - he is the primary reason ocho rios was our favorite stop!

he was waiting for us when our ship, the Carnival Victory, arrived to Ocho Rios about 2 weeks ago now. we were on a tour with ~12 other people, but he made it feel small by doing introductions and names over and over, and by making us all sing. he made the drive in between all the stops very enjoyable with lots of info about jamaica including local flower formations, trees, economy, schools, etc. i took excursions in cozumel and grand cayman and left not knowing a thing about those lands!

the tubing itself wasn't quite lazy river, as there were some white parts, but it's not dangerous AT ALL. the guides do a very good job at steering you away from any potential danger.

phil got us back to the margaritaville area ~30 minutes before we had to be on our boat - he let most of the others off, but took my girlfriend and i back to the pier (which, unbeknownst to us at the time, was only a couple block walk) and said our goodbyes.

i know for certain that i'll be booking with phil again next time i'm in jamaica.
irie mon!

-jay

• 2 weeks later...
My family and I did a tour with Phil on 12/24/04. I don't think I can add much more than what everyone else has already said. Phil does a great job and we enjoyed every minute of our time in Ocho Rios. The restaurant we stopped at is called Bibipip's Bar and Grill. The food was good. My husband didn't order anything so the bill for my daughter and me (including tip) was about $34.

Archived