Virgin Australia ?

gypsy lady

I've never noticed them weighing carry-ons but if your carry-on looked too big or too heavy they may query it.

I flew with them, Australia domestic, last month with a roller carryon and a medium-sized handbag with no problems.

We have flown with them many timed and they have weighed or queried any hand luggage.

From my experience, the only airline here that frequently weighs your hand luggage is Tiger and on the odd occasion, Jetstar.

We flew with them from Maroochydore to Sydney in March and we had large suitcases as we were travelling for 2 months as well as a carry on each. One of our suitcases was about 1kg over as I saw the read out - I think the other one was as well from memory but nothing was said. The carryons were given the once over but all was well.

I'm not sure how we would have gone though if the cases were say 5kgs over :eek:

We flew with them from Maroochydore to Sydney in March and we had large suitcases as we were travelling for 2 months as well as a carry on each. One of our suitcases was about 1kg over as I saw the read out - I think the other one was as well from memory but nothing was said. The carryons were given the once over but all was well.

I'm not sure how we would have gone though if the cases were say 5kgs over :eek:

It very much depends on the airport staff and the scales they used.

Last year we flew three sectors: Sydney - Melbourne, Melbourne - Gold Coast, Gold Coast - Sydney. Leaving Sydney our check in bags were both around 20-21kgs and we had a couple of bottles of wine in our bags as gifts which we removed in Melbourne. Leaving Melbourne they were still around the same weight, yet leaving the Gold Coast one was weighed at just over 23kgs and the other just over 24kgs. They charged us $50 for the 24kg bag despite us pointing out that the bags had not shown those weights in Sydney or Melbourne. :mad:

I agree that it depends on the staff at the airport. But in general, if you have a regulation size carry-on and a handbag you will be right. I've even got on with an extra bag after buying bits and pieces at the airport, and had no problems.

The one time I had an oversized check-in bag I was given the opportunity, while sitting on the floor at Perth Airport, to remove stuff and put it in my carry-on. Like I said, it depends on the staff.

Sent from my iPad using Forums