List of things to check before booking cabin?

tbmrt

Does anyone have a "checklist" of things to look for (good and bad) when checking for best deal/cabins?

I had a few marked down (see below), but think it would be good to learn more! Many of these wouldn't be dealbreakers for me, but I do consider everything before choosing our cabin.

Ask for special discount if past passenger, for state you live in, for military, for seniors, extra perks offered (possibly beverage package, OBC, specialty dinners, wine)

Check for smoking on nearby decks from restaurants, theater, bars, etc.

Check for position of bed or couch near balcony door

Elevator/stair location (for access to pool, restaurants, bars, buffet, spa)

Obstructed balcony possibilities if considering guarantee balcony

Check for location of linen storage areas/busy access

Check for X marked on Celebrity balconies

Check for window washing equipment that will be "parked" near your balcony

Larger balconies?

Balconies on extended Hump?

Hull balconies

Shade/sun on balcony deck (overhang?)

Privacy on balcony (cabins near slanted balconies not too good)

Check Celebrity board for list of S and M class cabins for good info

Connecting cabins/balconies if desired

Edited by tbmrt
add

OMG...that is WAAAAY overthinking things! Have the deck plans in front of you when booking, so you'll know what you're paying for!

We know what catagory we want to book...we call, see what's available, and book the cabin we prefer!

For cabin location, I would add:

1) Movement - The middle of the ship has less movement than anywhere else. But if you only want to know between forward and aft, though both of them can have about the same amount of movement, the forward part of the ship is usually considered to have the most movement. And, the higher you go on the ship, the more movement you will feel.

2) Noise makers - Check to see what is above, below or next to the cabin. Here are some potential concerns:

* public venues - bars, lounges, showrooms, promenade/jogging track, basketball court, swimming pools, etc.

* elevators and stairwells - late night revelers can be rather loud.

* service areas - galley, stairwells, maintenance spaces.

* passageway fire doors - have a metal threshold which will cause noise when carts, vacuums or other equipment pass over.

The "best" cabin is the one amidship (fore/aft and port/starboard, on the lowest deck, with another cabin above below and adjacent.

OMG...that is WAAAAY overthinking things! Have the deck plans in front of you when booking, so you'll know what you're paying for!

We know what catagory we want to book...we call, see what's available, and book the cabin we prefer!

When we book a cabin, we always look at the deck plans first. One thing I have looked and looked for and have yet to find is a cabin with it's own ice cream machine. If I ever find one , I'll book it in a heartbeat!:D

I'm the same way. I don' ask questions or worry about things. I just look at the deck plan and pick a cabin that I like location of and book it. Usually don't even check out the top deck above me as I pretty much know where things are located. Plus, I am not in my cabin much at all, except to sleep.

About the only thing I do is look at a deck plan to see where the suggested cabin is. We prefer to be between two passenger decks, but really, most cabins are fine.

I'm with you! When we first started cruising, everyone made a big deal about where to book the cabin (middle of ship, higher deck, etc.). However, after being in cabins in various parts of the ship, we realized it didn't make any difference!

Marianne

When we book a cabin, we always look at the deck plans first. One thing I have looked and looked for and have yet to find is a cabin with it's own ice cream machine. If I ever find one , I'll book it in a heartbeat!:D

Next best thing... Book a RCI Promenade cabin with a direct view out your window of the back-end of the Ben & Jerry's cow and you get unlimited ice cream cones for the cruise.. happy moosing

About the only thing I do is look at a deck plan to see where the suggested cabin is. We prefer to be between two passenger decks, but really, most cabins are fine.

This is my main criteria. I have the deck plans in front of me when calling to book and choose from what is available. I am a light sleeper so I need a quiet place (and, yes, I always take ear plugs).

I read on a post somewhere that on Celebrity S class ships, it does have a specific "parked" location when not being used and it is above your head on the highest deck.

We like a deck close to the top of the ship so we can walk and avoid elevators more often when going to the pool, buffet, etc. However, since we don't like to be in total shade, we won't choose a cabin on the very top if the ship has a large overhang.

I check only a few things

1) Is it a room where I can see the ocean?

2) Is it surrounded by cabins/quiet public areas? (not near elevators/large hallways/staff doors/empty spaces on deck plan)

3) Is it mid ship?

4) Is it mid to high deck?

5) Does it cost me £100 pp a day or less?

If the answers to the above are all yes...I book!

Maybe some of the criteria the OP mentioned is more important on a longer cruise, but we usually book something that's 10-12 days. After we choose a category, general location is pretty much the only criteria. It's for 10 or 12 days.....it's not like we're buying our retirement condo where we're going to live for the rest of our lives.

Edited by marco

As a couple of above posters have eluded to...OMG...don't over obsess!!!!! When you go to a resort for a week , do you first need to know (and ask) what floor the room is on, how close to the elevator is it, does it get morning or afternoon shade, what color is the carpet, are the beds arranged north to south or east to west is the bathroom on the left or the right, will the room have a sofa or a love seat, is there a chair or a stool in front of the make-up mirror. As another poster stated....it a vacation, it's not like you're buying your retirement condo where you'll be spending the rest of your life!!! Lighten up.