Transportation from Kahului to Lahaina

tip

We shall be docked in Kahului, Maui on Monday, September 10th on the Pride of America. We have decided not to rent a car that day, but head over to Lahaina to explore the town and maybe take the shuttle over to Whaler's Village to look at the exhibit and maybe walk on the boardwalk/beach. I really am not ready to take a chance and navigate public transportation and as much as we abhor cruise ship excursions, we may just book with NCL at $29 pp for what is just a bus ride to and from Lahaina.

My question is this. Are there tour operators on shore offering transportation like this at Kahului? We have seen this before in the Caribbbean and sometimes you can get a good deal. On the otherhand, I am somewhat anal about planning and don't want to get off of the ship and find nothing. As someone on another thread said, you don't want to go to Hawaii and then hang around the pool on the ship on a port day. This will no doubt be our one and only trip to Hawaii!

We shall be docked in Kahului, Maui on Monday, September 10th on the Pride of America. We have decided not to rent a car that day, but head over to Lahaina to explore the town and maybe take the shuttle over to Whaler's Village to look at the exhibit and maybe walk on the boardwalk/beach. I really am not ready to take a chance and navigate public transportation and as much as we abhor cruise ship excursions, we may just book with NCL at $29 pp for what is just a bus ride to and from Lahaina.

My question is this. Are there tour operators on shore offering transportation like this at Kahului? We have seen this before in the Caribbbean and sometimes you can get a good deal. On the otherhand, I am somewhat anal about planning and don't want to get off of the ship and find nothing. As someone on another thread said, you don't want to go to Hawaii and then hang around the pool on the ship on a port day. This will no doubt be our one and only trip to Hawaii!

We will be on the same cruise the following week and bought the $29 excursion as well. Where is the beach and the boardwalk?

Bus cost $2.00. Takes 30 minutes

Leaves Kakului on the hour.

Leaves Lahaina on the half hour

How can the bus take 30 minutes, making multiple stops, when you can't drive it nonstop in less than 45 minutes?

Beach chick is correct. Plan on an hour, at least, on the bus.

I would reconsider renting a car if you're planning to go to Lahaina and Kaanapali Beach. There's so much to see along the coast of W. Maui...you could stop in Lahaina, then head to Kaanapali Beach (a 10 minute drive from Lahaina) to see the area around Whaler's Village & walk the boardwalk ... and then keep driving to see the spectacular coast line and some of the beaches. The Kapalua Bay area (including the Kapalua Coastal walking trail) is just a 15 minute drive from Kaanapali Beach. Lots of 'wow factor' along that coast, esp. if you go as far as the blowhole and back, or even as far as Honolua Bay. Roads are in good condition and getting lost isn't an issue since there aren't that many roads.

Here's a Map of the drive.

Scordovi ... the Kaanapali boardwalk is at 'C' on the map. If you're going to Lahaina with NCL, you'll need to take a bus from there to Kaanapali Beach, or an expensive taxi ride.

Here's a link to bus schedules and route maps. To get from Kahului to Lahaina you would take bus #20 (1 hour) and then #25 to Kaanapali Beach.

Edited by Susan-M

I would reconsider renting a car if you're planning to go to Lahaina and Kaanapali Beach. There's so much to see along the coast of W. Maui...you could stop in Lahaina, then head to Kaanapali Beach (a 10 minute drive from Lahaina) to see the area around Whaler's Village & walk the boardwalk ... and then keep driving to see the spectacular coast line and some of the beaches. The Kapalua Bay area (including the Kapalua Coastal walking trail) is just a 15 minute drive from Kaanapali Beach. Lots of 'wow factor' along that coast, esp. if you go as far as the blowhole and back, or even as far as Honolua Bay. Roads are in good condition and getting lost isn't an issue since there aren't that many roads.

Here's a Map of the drive.

Scordovi ... the Kaanapali boardwalk is at 'C' on the map. If you're going to Lahaina with NCL, you'll need to take a bus from there to Kaanapali Beach, or an expensive taxi ride.

Here's a link to bus schedules and route maps. To get from Kahului to Lahaina you would take bus #20 (1 hour) and then #25 to Kaanapali Beach.

When I get to Lahaina if I take the free shuttle to Whaler's village will I be close to the beach and boardwalk?

When I get to Lahaina if I take the free shuttle to Whaler's village will I be close to the beach and boardwalk?

Yes -- Just walk through the mall and you'll be at the beach. Turn right on the boardwalk (sidewalk) and you'll head toward Black Rock at the Sheraton. The snorkeling is usually very good there. :)

Aloha!

Edited by CRUZBUDS

I "made a mistake".

I was talking about Lahaina to Whaler's Village.

Took us 30 minutes...each way. #25

Had good traffic day.

I meant to say she could get to Lahaina this way.

Still nice to take the bus where ever you go.

Edited by Belle

• 1 year later...

Thank you for this information! took me two hours to find it. one hour plus would not bother me on public transportation (city girl I'm use to it) to save $25 RT, I'm game. The NCL excursions says about 45 mins anyway and is currently $34+tax.

I just need to know where to find the bus once I get off the ship? Is it in walking distance? I found an old thread from 2008 that said you could get the free shuttle to Hilo Hatties and then take the bus ($2 each way) from there. Can anyone verify this? Any help is appreciated... Thanks.

Note: I have been to Hawaii before, so I just want to go to Lahaina again and look in quaint shops, buy Hawaiian Cookie Company souvenirs and just take my time.

I just need to know where to find the bus once I get off the ship? Is it in walking distance? I found an old thread from 2008 that said you could get the free shuttle to Hilo Hatties and then take the bus ($2 each way) from there. Can anyone verify this? Any help is appreciated... Thanks.

Note: I have been to Hawaii before, so I just want to go to Lahaina again and look in quaint shops, buy Hawaiian Cookie Company souvenirs and just take my time.

Hi,

We took a bus from Kahului to Lahaina for OLL last month.

At the port we took free shuttle to Queen Ka'ahumanu Center. 7-10 minutes drive. It is a walking distance. I checked google and it shows this route. 20-25 mins. I put 'Hobron Ave' as the point of departure. It's a guessing. :D I didn't check the name of the street when we were there. CMIIW please. thanks.

I don't know about free shuttle to Hilo Hatties or if this is the same one I took. Maybe someone can help on this.

From Queen Ka'ahumanu Center we took Lahaina Islander bus #20 - $2 pp each way - to Wharf Cinema Center in Lahaina.

When you arrive at Queen Ka'ahumana Center, just walk to the back. The waiting area for busses is at your right side. It's not a big shopping center, you'll find it quick. :)

c3ac94d3-ac41-4410-bf3d-256d7cab261e_zps64347067.jpg?t=1382269091

source: http://www.co.maui.hi.us/index.aspx?NID=605

bus schedule - pdf file: http://www.mauicounty.gov/DocumentView.asp?DID=4353

and when you arrive at Wharf Cinema Center in Lahaina, walk to the back and you'll find Front Street with all the shops.

enjoy your visit. :)

Elsa

Thank You Elsa!!

Perfect!

Just so I'm clear, the free shuttle to Queen Ka'ahumanu Center is in walking distance? Or do you pick up the free shuttle at the port? I am a walker so this would not be an issue for me.

Also, does the bus run pretty frequently back to the Queen Ka'ahumanu Center to catch shuttle back to ship? Do you or anyone else know if the free shuttle is sponsored by the ship or the island and if it stops running after a certain time? Not worried about missing the ship as I would be going the first of the two days in port .

I so appreciate your quick response! Just adore the CC (positive) side of the family! Lol!!

Kathy & Co

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

If you plan on using the bus, purchase an All-day pass for $4. You can get on and off as many times as you want for the day. A return trip is already $4, so you can't lose. Saves trying to find $2 cash each time you get on the bus.

We also noticed on one trip that when there was a huge crowd waiting to get on the bus, the driver let those with passes on first before those who were paying cash.

Hi Kathy & Co, :)

Just so I'm clear, the free shuttle to Queen Ka'ahumanu Center is in walking distance? Or do you pick up the free shuttle at the port?

It's free shuttle at the port.

Also, does the bus run pretty frequently back to the Queen Ka'ahumanu Center to catch shuttle back to ship?

Looking at the schedule, read vertically: the bus run every hour.

Do you or anyone else know if the free shuttle is sponsored by the ship or the island and if it stops running after a certain time? Not worried about missing the ship as I would be going the first of the two days in port.

I guess it is from the island.

Sorry, I didn't ask the driver what time the latest shuttle from Queen Ka'ahumanu Center would be. We went back from Lahaina after OLL with taxi (shared with 4 others from roll call).

Just say... example.. (maybe or maybe not the correct one!).. I am guessing it will be 4 pm as the latest shuttle from Queen Ka'ahumanu Center to Port; then you have to catch 2.30 pm bus from Wharf Cinema Center. This one will arrive at 3.30 pm at Queen Ka'ahumanu Center.

28a_zpsf8a4f42b.jpg?t=1382211473

If you plan on using the bus, purchase an All-day pass for $4. You can get on and off as many times as you want for the day. A return trip is already $4, so you can't lose. Saves trying to find $2 cash each time you get on the bus.

We also noticed on one trip that when there was a huge crowd waiting to get on the bus, the driver let those with passes on first before those who were paying cash.

Great info. Do you purchase the all day pass onboard the bus or somewhere else. Many thanks.

I am wondering if it would be possible/ recommended to take bus from port in Kahului to a luau over on other side of Maui and back? As we are docked overnight in Maui, I'm not worried about how late we return, just want to get back to the ship.

Hi,

You can take bus from port in Kahului to Lahaina.

To go back... I am not sure.

I don't know which luau you will go to. It depends on what time the luau will be finished and how far the location from wharf cinema center, plus you have to know what time is the latest shuttle from Queen Ka'ahumanu to the port.

Last month we docked in Kahului 7am - 11pm. And we went to Old Lahaina Luau (OLL). We took bus to go to Lahaina and we shared taxi to go back to the port.

OLL finished around 8.45 pm. We could get out before it finished, but we didn't want to.

The last bus #20 from Lahaina is 8.30 pm. To take this bus, we need to take shuttle from OLL to Wharf Cinema Center plus later in Kahului, we still need transport from Queen Ka'ahumanu to the port. Means it's already too late to take the bus anyway.

So, we shared a taxi with 4 others from roll call to go back to port. The taxi cost was $75 for 6 people one way. We arrived at the port around 10 pm.

Elsa

Elsa, Ellen and Everyone who contributed to this thread,

Thank you for all the great information!!!:) I have copied and printed the info to take with me. Thanks for sharing your experiences. I do believe I can navigate the public transportation with your directions. This will save my family some extra cash to be spent on other fun things! Booking the tour through POA would have cost over $300 for the 10 of us :eek:

Elsa, Ellen and Everyone who contributed to this thread,

Thank you for all the great information!!!:)

you're welcome, Kathy.

a little note, found here dd 09/17/12, I copy paste last part:

"...This bus also stops at the Warf, where the Aquarium is located. I'm glad we did this; we had a nice leisure day in Lahaina! Once we got back to the mall however, the line was ridiculous for the shuttle, so we opted to walk back to the pier, which was a nice 4-5 block walk."

fyi :)

Does anyone know how early the free shuttle to the shopping center to catch the bus runs?

Hi,

I don't know how early it is.

But with the info above: that the walking only 4-5 blocks away, maybe can be one of your options to catch the early bus.

(the route from Port to Queen Ka'ahumanu Center).

Enjoy your visit.

Elsa

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Hi,

You can take bus from port in Kahului to Lahaina.

To go back... I am not sure.

I don't know which luau you will go to. It depends on what time the luau will be finished and how far the location from wharf cinema center, plus you have to know what time is the latest shuttle from Queen Ka'ahumanu to the port.

Last month we docked in Kahului 7am - 11pm. And we went to Old Lahaina Luau (OLL). We took bus to go to Lahaina and we shared taxi to go back to the port.

OLL finished around 8.45 pm. We could get out before it finished, but we didn't want to.

The last bus #20 from Lahaina is 8.30 pm. To take this bus, we need to take shuttle from OLL to Wharf Cinema Center plus later in Kahului, we still need transport from Queen Ka'ahumanu to the port. Means it's already too late to take the bus anyway.

So, we shared a taxi with 4 others from roll call to go back to port. The taxi cost was $75 for 6 people one way. We arrived at the port around 10 pm.

Elsa

Thanks for all this..my group of 6 is now leaning towards doing a luau on own instead of ships...this is very helpful info.