Plastic wrapped luggage on return from EZE

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

** Please post your recommendations ONLY in response to request...do not start a new thread. Thanks!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 01:20 AM.
#1
Clermont, FL
1,275 Posts
Joined Aug 2006
We landed at EZE this week prior to our Antarctic Cruise on the Infinity. We noticed that there is a curbside service for departures that plastic/shrink wraps your luggage before you drop off your luggage at the airline.

Understandably it adds security, but is it also a red flag - come and steal me? Anyone have positives or negatives on spending $10Ar per bag?

The locals seem to use it for small bags.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Recent Cruises

(Alaska) 2008
(Caribe)2008
(Holyland)2009
SA/Antarctic Jan 2010
Caribe 2010
Caribe 2011
Scandanavia & Russia 2011
Caribe 2011
Austrailia 2013
Thanksgiving Caribe 2013
Adriatic 2014
Turks 2014
SA to FLL 2015
French Poly/Pitcairn/Easter Isl/Lima2016

Our Personal Rules

We will only add comments of Value
We will not judge other's opinions
We will not add to criticizing others
We will not whine about trivial nits
We will contribute facts, not beliefs
#2
Montreal Canada
6,932 Posts
Joined Feb 2004
I did not do this .All my side pockets of all my bags 4 in all were "liberated "of their contents .......dirty undies ,...yes designer stuff ......socks bras 2 jackets 1 umbrella......... coincidence????I was approached to have them wrapped ......Did not do it

Moral next time will lock EVERYTHING!!!!
#3
Arizona/Missouri
14,848 Posts
Joined Feb 2002
Originally posted by floridatravelersforlife
We landed at EZE this week prior to our Antarctic Cruise on the Infinity. We noticed that there is a curbside service for departures that plastic/shrink wraps your luggage before you drop off your luggage at the airline.

Understandably it adds security, but is it also a red flag - come and steal me? Anyone have positives or negatives on spending $10Ar per bag?

The locals seem to use it for small bags.
It can be a MAJOR problem flying back into the USA at Customs. Long lines at Customs generally and often they make you unwrap your luggage with everyone behind you giving you the "eye". You may also be subject to additional Customs inspections, just because they can.

I am a frequent SA business traveler (I am currently in Cusco). I had my luggage wrapped about 6 years ago, thinking it was a novel idea. I also had to unwrap it at JFK when I arrived back in the USA.

In Aisa at certain airports, when they check your luggage through the scanner, they band it with those plastic straps used for freight. Again, EVERY time except one on my return from an Asian business trip, I have had to "un band" the luggage at Customs. It is NOT easy to find something to break those heavy plastic straps. I have NEVER had anything stolen from my luggage and I fly over 100,000 miles per year for business.

I have had my luggage opened occasionally by TSA and in some countries, they go through your luggage (all luggage, NOT just hand baggage) BEFORE you are allowed to check it in. In 2002, South American airports, you actually had to open all luggage and turn on all electrical/electronic appliances. THAT was a time consuming process and if you had your luggage wrapped (as I saw a few people do), you just lost your money, as it had to be unwrapped.

Put brightly colored zip ties on all zippers and openings. PULL THEM TIGHT. And please don't put things in the outside pockets. You are just asking for trouble.

With inbound USA restrictions more severe than a few weeks ago, IMHO, you are wasting your money shrink wrapping your luggae.
#4
114 Posts
Joined Aug 2008
Originally posted by greatam
It can be a MAJOR problem flying back into the USA at Customs. Long lines at Customs generally and often they make you unwrap your luggage with everyone behind you giving you the "eye". You may also be subject to additional Customs inspections, just because they can.

I am a frequent SA business traveler (I am currently in Cusco). I had my luggage wrapped about 6 years ago, thinking it was a novel idea. I also had to unwrap it at JFK when I arrived back in the USA.

In Aisa at certain airports, when they check your luggage through the scanner, they band it with those plastic straps used for freight. Again, EVERY time except one on my return from an Asian business trip, I have had to "un band" the luggage at Customs. It is NOT easy to find something to break those heavy plastic straps. I have NEVER had anything stolen from my luggage and I fly over 100,000 miles per year for business.

I have had my luggage opened occasionally by TSA and in some countries, they go through your luggage (all luggage, NOT just hand baggage) BEFORE you are allowed to check it in. In 2002, South American airports, you actually had to open all luggage and turn on all electrical/electronic appliances. THAT was a time consuming process and if you had your luggage wrapped (as I saw a few people do), you just lost your money, as it had to be unwrapped.

Put brightly colored zip ties on all zippers and openings. PULL THEM TIGHT. And please don't put things in the outside pockets. You are just asking for trouble.

With inbound USA restrictions more severe than a few weeks ago, IMHO, you are wasting your money shrink wrapping your luggae.
Great information!! Thank you! Please explain "brightly colored zip ties"... I think I'm being dense... what are they, where do I get them? Thanks!!!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature


[email protected]om



#5
more or less in TX
10,419 Posts
Joined Jul 2006
Lowe's and Home Depot sell zip ties in white, black and a package with a variety of colors. One of their original purposes was to keep electrical cords tidy. They are inexpensive and easy to use on any suitcase that has 2 zipper toggles on an opening.

When you arrive at your hotel you will need a method for cutting them open. I keep a very small fingernail clipper in a non-zip tied pocket of my suitcase for that purpose but have broken them open with a Bic pen..
#6
114 Posts
Joined Aug 2008
Originally posted by PennyAgain
Lowe's and Home Depot sell zip ties in white, black and a package with a variety of colors. One of their original purposes was to keep electrical cords tidy. They are inexpensive and easy to use on any suitcase that has 2 zipper toggles on an opening.

When you arrive at your hotel you will need a method for cutting them open. I keep a very small fingernail clipper in a non-zip tied pocket of my suitcase for that purpose but have broken them open with a Bic pen..
Thanks, I was wondering if those were what you were referencing... they are tough to open! Hmmm... but, I LIKE it!!! Thanks! Whether your underwear is designer or not it's still and expense and hassle if someone steals it.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature


[email protected]om



#7
2,321 Posts
Joined Jan 2007
magellans.com has luggage zip ties that can be opened with a strong pull. Not as sturdy as the ones from Lowes, but I have had a small fingernail clipper confiscated by TSA!
#8
578 Posts
Joined Aug 2006
Hello;

Does anyone know whether one can use TSA locks for checked in luggages in the South American countries?

Thanks

Jim
#9
Clermont, FL
1,275 Posts
Joined Aug 2006
Just to close the loop

Returned from EZE to Miami and did not plastic wrap. No problem. Nothing in the side pockets.

Also used TSA locks both ways on our three bags, no issue.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Recent Cruises

(Alaska) 2008
(Caribe)2008
(Holyland)2009
SA/Antarctic Jan 2010
Caribe 2010
Caribe 2011
Scandanavia & Russia 2011
Caribe 2011
Austrailia 2013
Thanksgiving Caribe 2013
Adriatic 2014
Turks 2014
SA to FLL 2015
French Poly/Pitcairn/Easter Isl/Lima2016

Our Personal Rules

We will only add comments of Value
We will not judge other's opinions
We will not add to criticizing others
We will not whine about trivial nits
We will contribute facts, not beliefs
#10
5,672 Posts
Joined Nov 2005
Also had no problem returning from EZE to DFW. We just checked our bags inside the terminal and never even noticed the shrink wrap guys. No problems with customs or security as I recall, or using our TSA locks, but that was before Mr. Underpants Bomber, so security may be tighter now.

We did put stuff in the unlocked outside pockets of our suitcases and nothing was taken. Now I feel insulted that my dirty underwear was not good enough for those snooty airport thieves.